Getting a cold....very slowly

kahiljabroni

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
What's up Sherbros. I've been experiencing this phenomenon for the last couple years where I'll feel a cold coming like 3-5 days before I actually get it. When I was younger a cold would hit me quick...sneezing at noon, full on cold symptoms by dinner time, few shitty days and I'm all good.

Nowadays I get these long drawn out bullshit colds. I'll wake up feeling slightly off. It'll fade during the day, next morning throat mildly sore, fades as day goes on.

This shit will continue 3 to 5 days. Usually day 1 thru 3 I question if it's all in my head. Then it'll hit me legit for a couple days.

Anyway that's a lot of dear diary shit. I know a lot of you are close to my age(41) so I'm wondering if it's an old guy phenomenon or it's just me that's fucked up. Id rather just get hit and get this shit over with l.

I'm no groundhog expert but I think this is just you being more attuned to your body in your 40's. I'm late 40's and since mid-30's definitely notice differences in mental state and how I feel based on diet, stress, etc. Contrary to popular belief, colds don't just come on based on 1 day of exposure to whatever. They happen when your immune system is run down from what you've been doing over the past 5-7 days.

I know I'm susceptible to a cold if I've had ~5 days of bad days at work, family issues, not sleeping well and stupidly still decided to train BJJ and/or lift weights harder than I should have. I also notice the day before I come down with cold symptoms, my resting HR is about 10 bpm higher than normal. That means my CNS is run down and my immune system is being stressed. If that happens, I try to de-stress and go to bed early, take more vitamin C, drink warm fluids, eat more raw vegetables, gargle with warm salt water, etc. and I believe that mitigates the duration and severity of the cold.

Last edited:
Your Cold:
7b920dc59951c75eab349c3d139b3dbd.gif

On the first day you feel anything, drink a metric shit ton of water and eat raw onions and fruits (apples, oranges, berries etc). No sugar otherwise.

What's up Sherbros. I've been experiencing this phenomenon for the last couple years where I'll feel a cold coming like 3-5 days before I actually get it. When I was younger a cold would hit me quick...sneezing at noon, full on cold symptoms by dinner time, few shitty days and I'm all good.

Nowadays I get these long drawn out bullshit colds. I'll wake up feeling slightly off. It'll fade during the day, next morning throat mildly sore, fades as day goes on.

This shit will continue 3 to 5 days. Usually day 1 thru 3 I question if it's all in my head. Then it'll hit me legit for a couple days.

Anyway that's a lot of dear diary shit. I know a lot of you are close to my age(41) so I'm wondering if it's an old guy phenomenon or it's just me that's fucked up. Id rather just get hit and get this shit over with l.
What's your daily vitamin and supplement regime?

Ive had multiple fevers in the past few weeks and felt like dog shit in between. Dismissed it as my own weakness in cold weather until I had blurry vision in my right eye with my most recent fever. Went to the hospital on Monday. Still here, as it turns out I have Lyme Disease. I'm not as tough as Jim Miller, either.

Moral of the story: don't blow off illnesses, especially you're getting sick often.

I'm no groundhog expert but I think this is just you being more attuned to your body in your 40's. I'm late 40's and since mid-30's definitely notice differences in mental state and how I feel based on diet, stress, etc. Contrary to popular belief, colds don't just come on based on 1 day of exposure to whatever. They happen when your immune system is run down from what you've been doing over the past 5-7 days.

I know I'm susceptible to a cold if I've had ~5 days of bad days at work, family issues, not sleeping well and stupidly still decided to train BJJ and/or lift weights harder than I should have. I also notice that the day before I come down with cold symptoms, my resting HR is about 10 bpm higher than normal. That means my CNS is run down and my immune system is being stressed. If that happens, I try to de-stress and go to bed early, take more vitamin C, drink warm fluids, eat more raw vegetables, gargle with warm salt water, etc. and I believe that mitigates the duration and severity of the cold.

I agree that I'm definitely more in tune. Can't really blame it on certain behaviors though because I've been very consistent with diet, sleep, alcohol, etc. Now saying it's good.. but it is consistent.

I've had a lingering cold for like a week as well. Pain in the ass! Don't know why this one is lasting so long. Usually it's 2 days, 3 days at most. Hopefully tomorrow we'll be better for both of us, OP.

I fast until about 4 pm 6 days a week so I'm definitely vitamin deficient. Some days I'll eat one meal and it's pizza.
That could explain it but If I was you I'd least get some Vitamin D, C and Zinc in your system along with an a NAC supplement to boost your immune system...But hope ya get feeling better.

Don't think I've had that happen.

Normally either right when I wake up I kinda feel a tinge of something in the back part of my nose and it's like uh oh...am I getting sick? I'd say 50% of the time it's a false alarm and I'm fine the next day and 50% of the time I feel like that all day and then wake up the next morning not feeling well.

That's kind of a superpower, use it.

Thyme / rosemary infusions with honey and lemon juice ; raw crushed garlic with meals as soon as you feel the cold coming, an aspirine here and there and you can fuck the microbe before he even start really affecting you

I agree that I'm definitely more in tune. Can't really blame it on certain behaviors though because I've been very consistent with diet, sleep, alcohol, etc. Now saying it's good.. but it is consistent.

Sorry bro but it sounds like maybe your present lifestyle is consistently... unhealthy lol.

Last edited:
Sorry bro but it sounds like maybe your present lifestyle is consistently... unhealthy lol.

That might be true but I don't get sick often. I actually dodged several of my wife and kids last colds. But when I do get them, once a year or so, it's a slow roll and annoying af. Idk... thought maybe it was something with getting older but maybe I got aids

Back