General bjj advice

Idecay

White Belt
Reaction score
Im fairly new to this forum, and jiu jitsu in general, and I was wondering if f12 could give me any tips/advice? Sorry if that's a little too bland of a question.

When in someone's guard..

Do not cross their centerline
Joints are stronger than muscles
look torwards the ceiling for posture
Do not put your hands on the mat
Do not try to Triangle Choke them (haha)

Good Luck.

Don't let anyone ever put in the third hook. Be sure to ask your instructor about it tonight at class.

Never eat yellow snow, it's simply not worth the risk.

If you'd like BJJ advice, I'm afraid you will need to be a little more specific. There are so many details to jiu-jitsu that you could easily be overwhelmed trying to follow a laundry list of random tips.

That being said, protect your neck and keep your elbows close to your ribs when in danger. And don't forget to breathe...make little exhales all the time, and your body will handle the inhales. Oh, and if it hurts, tap.

Don't let anyone ever put in the third hook. Be sure to ask your instructor about it tonight at class.

Ahh, the deadly third hook.

TS, if the class hasn't covered it yet, ask next session. It's pretty essential to your BJJ game.

Ahh, the deadly third hook.

TS, if the class hasn't covered it yet, ask next session. It's pretty essential to your BJJ game.

More importantly, if he doesn't ask about it soon, his instructor might think he wants to experience the 3rd hook.

Believe me, ask now. You definitely don't want to run the risk of finding out about the 3rd hook on the streets.

I don't even know what to say haha. But the little tips are things I kind of already knew.I appreciate the input though.

I don't even know what to say haha. But the little tips are things I kind of already knew.I appreciate the input though.

I take back the third hook advice, don't ask during class. I hope your partner sinks his first two hooks while taking your back then sinks the third hook. DEEP.

Best general piece of advice for BJJ:

All of the general pieces of advice have exceptions.

So don't memorize your pieces of advice and then go bitching at someone else for crossing his feet on an armbar. Or from the back.

You don't want to be that guy.

nike-just-do-it2.jpg

I tied my pants the wrong way for a long time, until I watched Rener Gracie's video on how to do it... also felt like a complete retard for not figuring it out on my own after learning the right way

Learning to keep my weight back when inside someone's guard was key and lead to way less submissions/sweeps

Best advice I received from my instructor to maintain and stay heavy in side control was to *Brazilian accent* "treat da tatame like a poosy and fock da poosy when you in side control." Essentially telling me to keep my hips as low as possible

Another side control tip I received at a Renzo seminar - for the leg furthest from your opponents head, try to get the foot at a ~70 degree angle (pointing in the direction of the head) so it is shielded when they try to hip escape and recover half guard

Well, what is giving you trouble? What is your experience level?

I've been doing bjj for about 2 months, I was just really looking for anything that I could take in that would be beneficial to my game. I realize that is asking a lot considering I don't have a recording or anything and probably wont for a while.

I've been doing bjj for about 2 months, I was just really looking for anything that I could take in that would be beneficial to my game. I realize that is asking a lot considering I don't have a recording or anything and probably wont for a while.

Well, you don't need a video or anything, but the more specific the info, the better. Like if you're having trouble breaking closed guard, or having trouble finishing a certain sub, or whatever.

Of course with just 2 months, you should be having trouble doing everything. I can't think of any technique I was able to execute properly after 2 months.

QFT

You're going to be confused for a year, and your body is going to get much stronger. Go with it and love it. Be respectful to all members of your gym, and you will have a rewarding experience. Bumps and bruises are part of the game. They're good for you. Stay low profile while your belt is white. I won't mislead you, white belts with attitude are viewed as lowly creatures. Shred through youtube for exposure to the game but not for learning your technique, that's what class is for. Don't get into midget wrestling battles. Wash your goddamn gi after class. Good luck.

This has already been mentioned, but it should probably be emphasized:

BREATHE.

You most likely feel like you're breathing just fine, and you're most likely wrong. Really pay attention to that, to make sure that you aren't holding your breath, especially right before and during any kind of explosive, quick, or complicated movement.

I tied my pants the wrong way for a long time, until I watched Rener Gracie's video on how to do it... also felt like a complete retard for not figuring it out on my own after learning the right way

I just watched this video after reading your comment. I have been doing it correct from day one, how could people not figure this out? It is so obvious how it works haha. I can understand not knowing an efficient way to tie the belt, but the pants is pretty crazy. Maybe people are too embarrassed to ask...

best to go 150% your first time flailing around a lot so people realize you are serious about it. then you can really impress your instructor by repeatedly going for heel hooks on higher belts. a little elbow to the face every now and then also lets um know you mean business

Also, like everyone has been saying. Breathe. I've had new guys try to tap me and hold their breath while going for the sub and basically beat themselves.

Defending is huge, I would lean towards learning how to defend a lot of things and try to maintain position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back