Genealogy (23 and me, Ancestry etc)

Seano

Hands of bone
@plutonium
Reaction score
Anyone into genealogy here or get interesting results from a DNA service like Ancestry or 23 and me?

A couple of years back, my daughter got me a 23 and me test for my birthday. Honestly, I thought it was sort of lame at first but it was the beginning of a bit of an obsession.

My grandfather was always a mysterious person. He was abandoned at birth and labored on a farm picking cotton and tobacco. He didn't know his parents, didn't know where he came from, who he was- nothing. If you asked him about it, he'd get annoyed and you learned it just wasn't something he wanted to discuss.

So naturally when I got my 23 and me results, that was what I looked at first. Turned out I had a second cousin on there that connected through my grandfather. I sent her a message asking if she knew anything, we went back and forth about when he was born and the other tiny bits of info we had and it turned out that my grandfather was a sad story in her family. Supposedly my great grandmother got pregnant not long after she was widowed. She was catholic and this was in the early 20's so a bit scandalous. She had my grandfather in a catholic home for unwed mothers. My cousin told me the story was that my grandfather was stillborn and apparently the whole family thought that, but it seems that was just how my great grandmother got people to stop asking. He has a nephew that is still alive. A lifetime of mystery solved in about an hour of conversation.

We also found his paternal family the same way, they were Italian and one of his cousins was the first leader of the Black Hand in Milwaukee and much of his family was involved in the Milwaukee mafia.

I had family who were key players in the Salem Witch Trials (honestly one of my relatives sounded like an asshole) and also am a direct descendant of Steven Flanders, who is a big deal with genealogy nerds.
Its been a great way to kill spare time.
Anyone else interested in this stuff? Share cool family stories.

Last edited:
I’ll respond in a few weeks when I get done reading that Tolstoy novel of an OP, OP.
I was basically asking about people's experience with genealogy and invited them to share stories. Thought some people might be interested in the topic.

I'll take paragraphs for 500

Reactions: JSN
Interested in my moms side but not enough to research. Dads side I have books on several members and the line is traced back to the 1300s. Learned more about my great great gramps from wikipedia than any family account. Most interesting reading about the scandals.

You know, a friend of mine said the same thing. I can't really get why. Do you fear you will be cloned?
I'll get tied to a bunch of murders & what not JK JK I just don't like giving out my DNA when I send a letter I water the envelope lol

Interested in my moms side but not enough to research. Dads side I have books on several members and the line is traced back to the 1300s. Learned more about my great great gramps from wikipedia than any family account. Most interesting reading about the scandals.
Who was he?

I tried Ancestry once and discovered I was King George's uncle.

I'm not sure I did it the correct way.

Anyone into genealogy here or get interesting results from a DNA service like Ancestry or 23 and me?

A couple of years back, my daughter got me a 23 and me test for my birthday. Honestly, I thought it was sort of lame at first but it was the beginning of a bit of an obsession.
My grandfather was always a mysterious person. He was abandoned at birth and labored on a farm picking cotton and tobacco. He didn't know his parents, didn't know where he came from, who he was- nothing. If you asked him about it, he'd get annoyed and you learned it just wasn't something he wanted to discuss.
So naturally when I got my 23 and me results, that was what I looked at first. Turned out I had a second cousin on there that connected through my grandfather. I sent her a message asking if she knew anything, we went back and forth about when he was born and the other tiny bits of info we had and it turned out that my grandfather was a sad story in her family. Supposedly my great grandmother got pregnant not long after she was widowed. She was catholic and this was in the early 20's so a bit scandalous. She had my grandfather in a catholic home for unwed mothers. My cousin told me the story was that my grandfather was stillborn and apparently the whole family thought that, but it seems that was just how my great grandmother got people to stop asking. He has a nephew that is still alive. A lifetime of mystery solved in about an hour of conversation.
We also found his paternal family the same way, they were Italian and one of his cousins was the first leader of the Black Hand in Milwaukee and much of his family was involved in the Milwaukee mafia.
I had family who were key players in the Salem Witch Trials (honestly one of my relatives sounded like an asshole) and also am a direct descendant of Steven Flanders, who is a big deal with genealogy nerds.
Its been a great way to kill spare time.
Anyone else interested in this stuff? Share cool family stories.

You’re black?

lol I know I was being stupid. Cuz you said your grandpa picked cotton on a farm.
Oh, right.
From the stories he told, he was basically a slave. He had to work all day for room and board. Sounds like he was adopted into servitude for the first 16 years of his life.

I want too but all 4 surnames of both my grandparents are from the British Isles. England, England, Wales, Ireland.

Back