Genealogy (23 and me, Ancestry etc)

I don't understand why people are into this. Who cares who my ancestors were? It has nothing to do with me now.

And if I found cousins I've never met they'd probably be douchebags because most people are.

I want too but all 4 surnames of both my grandparents are from the British Isles. England, England, Wales, Ireland.
Thats their names?
Interesting. I found the same thing with some Italian family members, their names were variations on their hometowns.

I don't understand why people are into this. Who cares who my ancestors were? It has nothing to do with me now.

And if I found cousins I've never met they'd probably be douchebags because most people are.
Honestly thought pretty much the same until I checked it out.

My sister got a 23 and me kit. Well, there were no surprises. She got upset that she wasn't connected to anyone famous. I was entertained by that.

Thats their names?
Interesting. I found the same thing with some Italian family members, their names were variations on their hometowns.
I'm assuming those places are where they are from based on their surnames. Though one grandparent's surname could be English or French. So might have a little French blood.

Which is better, Ancestry or 23 and me? Doesn't 23 and me give additional info about your DNA rather than just pointing out where you're from?

My sister got a 23 and me kit. Well, there were no surprises. She got upset that she wasn't connected to anyone famous. I was entertained by that.
I had such a good time with mine that I got my wife one and hers is boring too.

Ancestry is better if you want to find if you connect to anyone significant but its a lot more work.

I'm assuming those places are where they are from based on their surnames. Though one grandparent's surname could be English or French. So might have a little French blood.

Which is better, Ancestry or 23 and me? Doesn't 23 and me give additional info about your DNA rather than just pointing out where you're from?
Probably ancestry. Ancestry has a lot more options. 23 and Me is just DNA and a list of people you connect to. It breaks down where your ancestors are from but not much more.
Ancestry has the DNA test but also a massive library of newspaper articles, old census info, military records and the like.
23 and Me for a quick result, Ancestry if you want to make a hobby of it.

Anyone into genealogy here or get interesting results from a DNA service like Ancestry or 23 and me?

A couple of years back, my daughter got me a 23 and me test for my birthday. Honestly, I thought it was sort of lame at first but it was the beginning of a bit of an obsession.

My grandfather was always a mysterious person. He was abandoned at birth and labored on a farm picking cotton and tobacco. He didn't know his parents, didn't know where he came from, who he was- nothing. If you asked him about it, he'd get annoyed and you learned it just wasn't something he wanted to discuss.

So naturally when I got my 23 and me results, that was what I looked at first. Turned out I had a second cousin on there that connected through my grandfather. I sent her a message asking if she knew anything, we went back and forth about when he was born and the other tiny bits of info we had and it turned out that my grandfather was a sad story in her family. Supposedly my great grandmother got pregnant not long after she was widowed. She was catholic and this was in the early 20's so a bit scandalous. She had my grandfather in a catholic home for unwed mothers. My cousin told me the story was that my grandfather was stillborn and apparently the whole family thought that, but it seems that was just how my great grandmother got people to stop asking. He has a nephew that is still alive. A lifetime of mystery solved in about an hour of conversation.

We also found his paternal family the same way, they were Italian and one of his cousins was the first leader of the Black Hand in Milwaukee and much of his family was involved in the Milwaukee mafia.

I had family who were key players in the Salem Witch Trials (honestly one of my relatives sounded like an asshole) and also am a direct descendant of Steven Flanders, who is a big deal with genealogy nerds.
Its been a great way to kill spare time.
Anyone else interested in this stuff? Share cool family stories.
Cool story bro (seriously, that was interesting-thanks for sharingb

I heard it's all fake. Just sugar water or something. I barely trust my doctor getting my sperm sample, let alone some tech dude in India looking up my genealogy...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sarah Conner would be dead if she used these tests. AI is real and the future is coming.

Honestly thought pretty much the same until I checked it out.
The only way it would be cool is if I found a rich uncle that had no kids.

But with my luck I'd probably find out my wife is a distant cousin. No thanks.

They're creating a virus that could target everyone. Covid 19 was a dry run.

Why waste time with creating a new virus that can target everyone when they can just release an existing one e.g. Ebola?

Anyone into genealogy here or get interesting results from a DNA service like Ancestry or 23 and me?

A couple of years back, my daughter got me a 23 and me test for my birthday. Honestly, I thought it was sort of lame at first but it was the beginning of a bit of an obsession.

My grandfather was always a mysterious person. He was abandoned at birth and labored on a farm picking cotton and tobacco. He didn't know his parents, didn't know where he came from, who he was- nothing. If you asked him about it, he'd get annoyed and you learned it just wasn't something he wanted to discuss.

So naturally when I got my 23 and me results, that was what I looked at first. Turned out I had a second cousin on there that connected through my grandfather. I sent her a message asking if she knew anything, we went back and forth about when he was born and the other tiny bits of info we had and it turned out that my grandfather was a sad story in her family. Supposedly my great grandmother got pregnant not long after she was widowed. She was catholic and this was in the early 20's so a bit scandalous. She had my grandfather in a catholic home for unwed mothers. My cousin told me the story was that my grandfather was stillborn and apparently the whole family thought that, but it seems that was just how my great grandmother got people to stop asking. He has a nephew that is still alive. A lifetime of mystery solved in about an hour of conversation.

We also found his paternal family the same way, they were Italian and one of his cousins was the first leader of the Black Hand in Milwaukee and much of his family was involved in the Milwaukee mafia.

I had family who were key players in the Salem Witch Trials (honestly one of my relatives sounded like an asshole) and also am a direct descendant of Steven Flanders, who is a big deal with genealogy nerds.
Its been a great way to kill spare time.
Anyone else interested in this stuff? Share cool family stories.
Cool story bro (seriously). I'm interested in doing it too.

When I was 16 I worked in the Registry Office and had to interact with genealogists all the time as they wanted birth/marriage/deaths register information from like the 1800's and I had to go into the vault to get it for them.

Bunch of absolute weirdos and most of them smelled funny.

I did used to read through the death registers when I got bored though to look for weird causes of death, so that passed the time.

TS shares a cool tidbit about himself, and tries to start a discussion, only to be met with immature kids trying to make fun, and not taking the time to read a paragraph or two....

I definietly wont be able to find anything on a genealogy site regarding my family history, but its great others could.

There was a 2 for 1 on ancestry.com a while back, so I picked that up. My wife found out a bunch of cool stuff, and connected with some distant relatives throughout the US. Her biological father is a very nice, but out there guy and had always claimed to have Native American ancestry. His siblings never shared those thoughts and I figured it was complete bullshit, turns out it was. My brother did a 23 and me and there were no real surprises, I figured I would be about the same and have yet to process my ancestry kit.

I never got my results back. But now this dude who looks like me has been following me around

Back