Genealogy (23 and me, Ancestry etc)

I'm assuming those places are where they are from based on their surnames. Though one grandparent's surname could be English or French. So might have a little French blood.

Which is better, Ancestry or 23 and me? Doesn't 23 and me give additional info about your DNA rather than just pointing out where you're from?

Ancestry is known for finding relatives and connections and 23andme has known for better ethnicity results, health traits..etc.

I tend to side with @Fedorgasm here in that I am not interested in turning over my ancestor rocks so to speak as you might not like what you find. I would say I read more shitty stories than the opposite. Lets put it this way....if you are really looking for something then knock yourself out. But if your not looking for something the next thing you know you end up with an email from someone that your father knocked up 50 years ago. Weird shit ends up coming up if you turn over enough rocks.

TS shares a cool tidbit about himself, and tries to start a discussion, only to be met with immature kids trying to make fun, and not taking the time to read a paragraph or two....

I definietly wont be able to find anything on a genealogy site regarding my family history, but its great others could.
Why wouldn't you be able to find anything?

Why wouldn't you be able to find anything?
I come from a country where records of that sort werent stored on the internet, and our people really dont put anything online. I never got why people shared their personal lives with companies, free of charge.

Oh, right.
From the stories he told, he was basically a slave. He had to work all day for room and board. Sounds like he was adopted into servitude for the first 16 years of his life.

My father's sister had her children taken from her and two boys were fostered basically as farmhands and kicked out when they turned 18 and the state stopped paying the foster parents.

I know one group of siblings that did DNA tests found out that the eldest had a different father than the rest. Their parents were both dead so they didn't know if their father knew it.

I come from a country where records of that sort werent stored on the internet, and our people really dont put anything online. I never got why people shared their personal lives with companies, free of charge.
Ancestry is public records for the most part. Old census info, marriage records, etc. Its out there whether you share it or not.

My father's sister had her children taken from her and two boys were fostered basically as farmhands and kicked out when they turned 18 and the state stopped paying the foster parents.

I know one group of siblings that did DNA tests found out that the eldest had a different father than the rest. Their parents were both dead so they didn't know if their father knew it.
We had a similar situation in our family. Only my aunt and I know but one of my other aunts has a different father. We can't bring ourselves to tell her. Thats the down side to shit like 23 and me.

On the flip side, I contacted a relative on 23 and me out of curiosity, didn't recognize her last name but she was a close DNA relation to me. Said she'd been trying to find her father for 30 years. My aunt and I figured out who it was in about 2 days. One of my cousins found out he's a grandfather. Luckily he and his family were all cool about it,they communicate now. Pretty cool .

Ancestry is public records for the most part. Old census info, marriage records, etc. Its out there whether you share it or not.
Ahh, still, those records are lost to time, corruption, wars etc. You wont be able to find it.

We had a similar situation in our family. Only my aunt and I know but one of my other aunts has a different father. We can't bring ourselves to tell her. Thats the down side to shit like 23 and me.

On the flip side, I contacted a relative on 23 and me out of curiosity, didn't recognize her last name but she was a close DNA relation to me. Said she'd been trying to find her father for 30 years. My aunt and I figured out who it was in about 2 days. One of my cousins found out he's a grandfather. Luckily he and his family were all cool about it,they communicate now. Pretty cool .

My family has found relatives we didn't know we had. Our parents were apparently good at keeping secrets. My father's oldest sister had a child she gave up for adoption. His grandchildren found the family after all of the siblings had died. We assumed they didn't know but the grandchild had the adoption paperwork and the social worker had talked to the family.

Another interesting thing we recently found out was that the same woman had altered her eldest daughters birth certificate and her daughter found out when she had to get a passport. Apparently her mother didn't want it known that she was born 5 months after her mother and father were married.

My family has found relatives we didn't know we had. Our parents were apparently good at keeping secrets. My father's oldest sister had a child she gave up for adoption. His grandchildren found the family after all of the siblings had died. We assumed they didn't know but the grandchild had the adoption paperwork and the social worker had talked to the family.

Another interesting thing we recently found out was that the same woman had altered her eldest daughters birth certificate and her daughter found out when she had to get a passport. Apparently her mother didn't want it known that she was born 5 months after her mother and father were married.
I have several stories like that too. Talked to an 80 year old second cousin who wanted to know about his fathers past too. We figured out who that was too. He was obviously long dead but found out
he has half brothers still alive, even met one of them. Its amazing the shit that you can figure out so easily now.

My wife and I have been talking about doing these. I was hesitant about sending out my DNA, but I haven't committed any crimes or anything so I'm not really worried about it. If the government wanted to get my DNA, they could get it. I'd find it very interesting to see where I cam from and discover possible relatives I didn't know about.

My wife and I have been talking about doing these. I was hesitant about sending out my DNA, but I haven't committed any crimes or anything so I'm not really worried about it. If the government wanted to get my DNA, they could get it. I'd find it very interesting to see where I cam from and discover possible relatives I didn't know about.
I have fun with it. Its possible to learn things you don't expect though. Can be a double edged sword.

The only thing I could possibly learn from a DNA test is that my mom was cheating. Why would I want to do that?

The only thing I could possibly learn from a DNA test is that my mom was cheating. Why would I want to do that?
Stuff like that is a possibility, sure. But you can also connect with relatives you don't know and learn about where your people come from.

Stuff like that is a possibility, sure. But you can also connect with relatives you don't know and learn about where your people come from.

My parents were both disowned and papa dukes, who's dead now, left before I can remember. Safe to say no one is looking to chat with me.

I know the region of origin for both parents unless it ties all the way back to ancient population migrations there's not much to learn.

Well unless mama was sleeping around, not that it would be surprising. Less shocking more fucking annoying. Just another thing to brow beat her about.

I haven't done one of the DNA tests, but I've been working on compiling a family history. The only particularly interesting thing so far is that some of my ancestors were friends of the James-Younger Gang.

Back