Gatti Would Be a Top WW Today

Fuck, so I guess I have to go back on what I said, I had my weight classes confused for some Gatti fights. I guess I can't say he was anything at 135.

yeah i guess. I am not really a loma guy. what your saying is at least logical if not a little hard to picture based on Gatti's pedigree.

But it makes sense
Well, to beat a dead horse, no one would pick Salido to beat Lomachenko either.

You're right, I honestly thought the Gamache fight was at 135. huh, I've always thought that too.

No worries, bro. I thought you might have been more impressed by his run at 130 which was, indeed, a good & exciting one.

No worries, bro. I thought you might have been more impressed by his run at 130 which was, indeed, a good & exciting one.
The few fights in the leadup to the DLH fight, I thought he looked like a killer. Most did. There were like 4 or 5 fights there.

The few fights in the leadup to the DLH fight, I thought he looked like a killer. Most did. There were like 4 or 5 fights there.
Yeah, he had a really good run at that point. And the Delahoya fight was just a money fight. He had no business being in there with a guy that big. But then, he had the Ward trilogy & won his second world title at 140 which was very impressive considering how his run at lightweight went.

Yeah, he had a really good run at that point. And the Delahoya fight was just a money fight. He had no business being in there with a guy that big. But then, he had the Ward trilogy & won his second world title at 140 which was very impressive considering how his run at lightweight went.
My point was anyway, that I think people overlook that Gatti wasn't just a crude brawler. He was a pretty skilled boxer.

What the fuck were Gamache’s corner thinking?! They should have pulled him out at the end of the first at the latest.

Damn I didn’t notice it until now but Gatti even clobbered him with a left hook after the bell at the end of the first and then mouthed off.

He might have been a good fighter but he was also kind of a psycho.

You act as though the guy is untouchable. Didn't Linares put him on his ass? you think Linares has the pop of Gatti? You think Campbell is a tougher go than Gatti? I think you're being disingenuous.
Lomachenko doesn't counter, he hops back, circles and resets. Gatti would have him doing that all night. Lomachenko would grab, Gatti would batter his ribcage while Lomachenko looked at the ref like "WTF"?
Gatti isn't Linares and Loma had an injured lead shoulder in that fight, one that required surgery after and physical therapy to rehab. Back to Gatti, he doesn't have the legs to constantly move with Loma in order to neutralize those angles. Look at any of Loma's fights at Lightweight and you'll see that they're always trying to move with him to take the angles away and prevent him from easily controlling distance. Gatti won't be able to just plow forward and walk through his punches without being at the very least discouraged by sidesteps and counters. On fight night against Manfredy, Gatti was only 146 pounds. Loma is somewhere in the low 140's so there would only be a few pounds separating them. It really isn't the size mismatch you're claiming it to be.

Another big problem for Gatti is that nobody at Lightweight has been able to pin Loma down to get on top of him as you're suggesting he'll be able to do at some point during the fight. When you rarely see his back hit the ropes it's only for a split second before he's escaped and reclaimed center ring. He holds center ring too effectively for Gatti to be able to just pick his best shots (left hook) without having to worry about being outmaneuvered and outboxed along the way. You can't let Loma breathe at all. Jumping on him immediately and staying close while keeping him directly in front of you will make him feel uncomfortable. That's where these guys should be starting if they're planning to press him heavily.
Lomachenko doesn't counter, he hops back, circles and resets. Gatti would have him doing that all night. Lomachenko would grab, Gatti would batter his ribcage while Lomachenko looked at the ref like "WTF"?
He almost always moves off the line first before firing shots but you're not acknowledging that he turns opponents into shots and combinations after turning them, all of which discourage and frustrate them badly. He can stop opponents in their tracks by walking them into shots if they get too aggressive, claiming he can't is simply false. It isn't like he didn't have success doing exactly that in his last fight against Campbell, or Martinez, or against Salido albeit far too late (walked him into a straight left that hurt him badly in the last round), Russell, et al. He'll check hook opponents to reposition them as well.

Bad style matchups are bad style matchups. No one would have picked Salido to beat him, he's basically a mexican Mickey Ward. 135 was the best Gatti. He took a wicked shot at the weight, had his workrate and still was a murderous puncher at the weight. It was a short peak for sure but that Gatti is a tough go for anyone. 135 Gatti beats 135 Lomachenko.
Watch the Salido fight again but closely. That body attack was specifically tailored to cut distance by stepping through ("shifting") with wide sweeping hooks as an answer to Loma's lateral movement to keep him from freely straying off to either side. It was very important in Salido's ability to close in at will and keep effective pressure on. Loma is just too versatile for Gatti to beat much less dispatch of. He'll force Gatti to box when he wants to brawl. You have to utilize specific tactics against him to have much success. He has a hell of a body attack himself but you also left that out.

More of an exchange than a counter there. ^^^^

Yeah, I suppose. Seems like both threw at the same time. Still think Campbell is no Gatti.
You suppose? Here's the entire sequence then if it helps you understand. It shows him setting Campbell up for it with the double jab. He fell for it, took the bait, and got hurt.

You're right, I honestly thought the Gamache fight was at 135. huh, I've always thought that too.
Joey fought at 154 and even had at least 1 bout that i can find at middleweight before he fought Gatti

Loma might not even Land alot of his shotS. Gatti had better head movement than Saul does now.

NYwHyw.gif

Loma might not even Land alot of his shotS. Gatti had better head movement than Saul does now.

NYwHyw.gif
Yeah man, people always pictured pieced up Gatti with blood pouring out of his face but the guy had some skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back