Gatti Would Be a Top WW Today

Loma might not even Land alot of his shotS. Gatti had better head movement than Saul does now.

NYwHyw.gif
You pushed it too far

Now we know you've been trolling

Thread is no longer fun

No way would lomachenko beat the Gatti that stretched Gamache. People can laugh at that if they want but Gatti would have a huge size and power advantage.
<puh-lease75>

It's skills that pay the bills. I wouldn't say "No way". I'd think he pieces up Gatti like a veal cutlet as the fight wore on. But wouldn't say no way to Gatti. Great hypothetical match-up.

<puh-lease75>

It's skills that pay the bills. I wouldn't say "No way". I'd think he pieces up Gatti like a veal cutlet as the fight wore on. But wouldn't say no way to Gatti. Great hypothetical match-up.
It would be a fucking sick fight

But the way people describe how it would go down is laughable

And the "Loma can't counterpunch" crowd are going full retard.

Gatti was good at moving around the ring and catching people with Hard Combos coming in.

He was very light on his feet and threw powerful punches and was a tough SOB.

<puh-lease75>

eh, I think Gatti is a bad stylistic matchup for the guy. I had my weight classes confused but the right Gatti.

Y'all musta forgot.

Thun-Dah!

Gatti was good at moving around the ring and catching people with Hard Combos coming in.

He was very light on his feet and threw powerful punches and was a tough SOB.

He did have a nice stance and style when he chose to box.

With certain coaches...idk if the "right" coach is the word, he made a lot of money so he did it right....but with different coaching he could have been an extremely skilled boxer-puncher. Especially being able to fall back on toughness and just those fighting instincts....not all boxers have actual fighting instinct, a lot of them are basically just machines at a certain level. Gatti had a pulse, he had a huge heart.

I just don't think the actual guy was that great. I see potential to be great more than any real skill related type of greatness

It would be a fucking sick fight

But the way people describe how it would go down is laughable

And the "Loma can't counterpunch" crowd are going full retard.
He can't. We've all commented on it in this forum in many of his fights. He can't fight backing up. Just because you can find one 3 second clip of him doing it in however many rounds he's fought as a pro doesn't mean its something he does often. Its pretty much the only reason the Campbell fight was competitive. He puts the earmuffs on, hops away from the power, resets and comes back in to do his thing- which is coming forward throwing shitloads of fast punches. If you step in on him, or push him back he can't get that momentum going. You don't see it often because most fighters can't deal with his speed and conditioning. He doesn't really counterpunch that much from a defensive posture.

He can't. We've all commented on it in this forum in many of his fights. He can't fight backing up. Just because you can find one 3 second clip of him doing it in however many rounds he's fought as a pro doesn't mean its something he does often. Its pretty much the only reason the Campbell fight was competitive. He puts the earmuffs on, hops away from the power, resets and comes back in to do his thing- which is coming forward throwing shitloads of fast punches. If you step in on him, or push him back he can't get that momentum going. You don't see it often because most fighters can't deal with his speed and conditioning. He doesn't really counterpunch that much from a defensive posture.
I realize countering isn't what he does.

But honestly...how many good counter punchers are there? I don't see many. It's not a knock. He just makes a sharp right turn and throws over the other guy's shoulder

He doesn't back up in a straight line....that's something pounded(literally) into your head within a dozen amateur bouts. These guys at his level know what they're doing. He's probably the best trained fighter on earth if you're subjective

I realize countering isn't what he does.

But honestly...how many good counter punchers are there? I don't see many. It's not a knock. He just makes a sharp right turn and throws over the other guy's shoulder

He doesn't back up in a straight line....that's something pounded(literally) into your head within a dozen amateur bouts. These guys at his level know what they're doing. He's probably the best trained fighter on earth if you're subjective
Its a weakness that could be exploited by a good high workrate fighter.

eh, I think Gatti is a bad stylistic matchup for the guy. I had my weight classes confused but the right Gatti.

Y'all musta forgot.

Thun-Dah!

I replied before I saw you were on about the weight classes. I didn't know until @sweetviolenturg noted it. And yeah, it would be a fight. For sure. Gatti didn't come to "play" boxing.

Its a weakness that could be exploited by a good high workrate fighter.
Floyd Mayweather is one of the best counterpunching artists any of us have seen

Yet Jose Luis Castillo clearly beat him in the first fight

Pressure folds anyone if it's applied properly

I just am not ready to assume someone like Gatti could do that to Lomachenko. It'd have to be a perfect flawlessly executed gamelan.

If you think just wading in on someone like Vasily Lomachenko is a good idea then I'm glad you don't box because you'd get severely fucked up

If you think just wading in on someone like Vasily Lomachenko is a good idea then I'm glad you don't box because you'd get severely fucked up
The same thing applies when sparring him too. There are stories about much bigger guys being taken behind the woodshed when they rush him from the jump thinking they're going to "Salido" him with pressure. Buddy McGirt mentioned it to ESPN before the Crolla fight. Here's the quote.
He sparred one of my guys one day, we made it a chess match. All the other guys sparring went straight at him and he knocked the dog crap out of 'em. Even the guys that were like 140 he was beating the s--- out of them. So I told my guy, 'Oh no, we're not doing what everybody else is doing. We're not here to be a punching bag, baby.'
Trainers' take: How to beat Lomachenko

The same thing applies when sparring him too. There are stories about much bigger guys being taken behind the woodshed when they rush him from the jump thinking they're going to "Salido" him with pressure. Buddy McGirt mentioned it to ESPN before the Crolla fight. Here's the quote.

Trainers' take: How to beat Lomachenko
I wouldn't attack him like that. At all. With someone like him, you won't outbox him for 12 rounds either.

Counter punches to the body...hit him when he exhales and is extending his arms. Hit his arms when he shells up. I'm talkin fucking power shots to his arms, don't try to be cute and precise by splitting the guard....punch through it. Make those arms feel dead.

The only way you beat someone like this is build a foundation with body work, avoid the storms from him, and hurt him in ways he isn't expecting.

Wear him the fuck down. After 5 or 6 rounds of this...he'll he slowed down. Then you can take his head later.

It's easy to say but this isn't a hard guy to gameplan for because he's so good....you are better off simplifying your attack than trying to come up with some magnificent formula to outbox him....it's not gonna happen. You gotta hurt him to beat him. Drag him into the deep end.

I agree with seano to an extent. Loma is not a huge lightweight. Gatti would really bring the fight to him. I see loma winning on points with gatti showing true grit and willing to take a few to land some good shots . Gatti i feel gets underrated a bit these days. Guy was a true warrior and true hall of fame fighter. One of my favorite fighters of all time.

No way would lomachenko beat the Gatti that stretched Gamache. People can laugh at that if they want but Gatti would have a huge size and power advantage.
mickey ward would be a nightmare match for loma, gatti is closer to the style of fighter loma excels against (i think gatti still whoops him though, i am a 6'2 smw after all). just joking, but i actually have the same name as arturo's brother.

mickey ward would be a nightmare match for loma, gatti is closer to the style of fighter loma excels against (i think gatti still whoops him though, i am a 6'2 smw after all). just joking, but i actually have the same name as arturo's brother.
Gatti could be hot and cold for sure. I can see why a person would think Ward could be an issue, based on the Salido fight.

I wouldn't attack him like that. At all. With someone like him, you won't outbox him for 12 rounds either.

Counter punches to the body...hit him when he exhales and is extending his arms. Hit his arms when he shells up. I'm talkin fucking power shots to his arms, don't try to be cute and precise by splitting the guard....punch through it. Make those arms feel dead.

The only way you beat someone like this is build a foundation with body work, avoid the storms from him, and hurt him in ways he isn't expecting.

Wear him the fuck down. After 5 or 6 rounds of this...he'll he slowed down. Then you can take his head later.

It's easy to say but this isn't a hard guy to gameplan for because he's so good....you are better off simplifying your attack than trying to come up with some magnificent formula to outbox him....it's not gonna happen. You gotta hurt him to beat him. Drag him into the deep end.
dead right on that one. that is why my comment about loma moving a bit too much, if you can keep the pressure on someone like that, they can wear down (as loma usually does in the middle rounds). that is the only time a fighter like loma becomes more punchable. even a guy like loma is still human you just have to have enough durability and firepower to get past his boxing skill and turn it into a fight.

dead right on that one. that is why my comment about loma moving a bit too much, if you can keep the pressure on someone like that, they can wear down (as loma usually does in the middle rounds). that is the only time a fighter like loma becomes more punchable. even a guy like loma is still human you just have to have enough durability and firepower to get past his boxing skill and turn it into a fight.
"Turn it into a fight"

That pretty much sums it up perfectly

Gatti could be hot and cold for sure. I can see why a person would think Ward could be an issue, based on the Salido fight.
i still think loma's style and lack off strong counter punching could spell trouble against a aggressive fighter that doesn't mind missing shots. loma excels against fighters that get frustrated missing punches and them chews them up when they stop punching. someone like ward isn't going to stop coming forward, throwing shots.

Back