Gattaca vs Dark City

We loved it so much that we made it a tradition on my high school swim team to have a carb-loading spaghetti night where we watched it every year before championships.
"This is how I did it. I never saved anything for the swim back."
tumblr_n2i1gkHHAp1qiy70eo2_250.gif

One of the most inspirational movies of all time.

+1

But the other powerful theme of the movie is that no one accomplishes anything great without good people helping them along the way.

Jerome: I got the better end of the deal - I only lent you my body. You lent me your dream.

Dr. Lamar: For future reference, right handed men don't hold it with their left. Just one of those things. [overrides test result to "valid"]. You don't want to miss your flight, Vincent.

Both are 90s scifi films with elements of noir, though dark city leans into it and the aesthetic a bit more.

Plots are overall pretty different. But both executed very well.

AuHbFy7d25NUgU9ane25nXeKeVK.jpg

Dark-City-1998-film-images-107269b7-232d-4da7-84e9-f98363b2106.jpg

I think highly of both films. Personally though I'll say Gattaca syncs up with me a bit more.

Which do you prefer.
Josh Hartnett and Ethan Hawke are the same person

Change my mind.

Dark City by a mile for me. Dark tone, cool plot, good actors, awesome and unforgettable setting and atmosphere.

Visually it's an absolute masterpiece. I remember thinking so even as a dumb teen that didn't really know anything about movies.

At the time I thought it was kind of sad that the matrix came out like a year later with fairly similar themes and got all the fanfare and attention and this movie fell into relative obscurity.

It's good enough that it deserves to be remembered.

I think Gattaca works better overall as a movie. Dark City is kind of like an interesting and mostly successful experiment.
Ah man this stings to see wasn't expecting it today. Rest well bud.

You should watch it. Ebert rated it his #1 movie in 1998. Not at all the kind of film you'd expect a critic to put at the top of the year, either.

It's free on Tubi:
Tubi: Dark City

Random only mildly related trivia. The only times Siskel and Ebert both ranked the same film #1 for the year (1967-1998):
  • Z (1969)
  • The Godfather (1972)
  • Nashville (1975)
  • The Right Stuff (1983)
  • Do the Right Thing (1989)
  • Goodfellas (1990)
  • Schindler's List (1993)
  • Hoop Dreams (1994)
Nice my TV comes with tubi maybe I'll watch this again on my days off.

I remember watching them both in two days 20 years ago and Gattaca was clearly better. Should rewatch them.

Dark City, especially since the ending hadn't been spoiled to me. I don't remember anything from Gattaca except it was Brave New World-ish.

Back