Gaming headsets

Just picked up the SteelSeries Arctis 7X. Should be here next week, really excited to check them out. Was kind of torn if I wanted to get either the PS5 pulse headset or the new Xbox headset since they wouldn't be multiplatform. Everything I've read about the 7X shows them wireless multiplatform using a usb adaptor, so looking forward to have something that i can use on both consoles and on PC.

I've seen that one on Drop. Looks like some killer headphones. I'm sure Sony will update their drivers. It's no easy task adding support for any mean devices as the consoles handle, now. The shift to everything via USB is just the way things are headed.
They are less power hungry, so no amp needed. I guess I can repurpose them into home Office call setup from the cellphone.

I'm still sad about not being able to use my dac amp on the ps5, and I considered getting a hel 2 from schiit, but seriously, it's more expensive than the headset I got and according to my train of thought, more future proof

Just picked up the SteelSeries Arctis 7X. Should be here next week, really excited to check them out. Was kind of torn if I wanted to get either the PS5 pulse headset or the new Xbox headset since they wouldn't be multiplatform. Everything I've read about the 7X shows them wireless multiplatform using a usb adaptor, so looking forward to have something that i can use on both consoles and on PC.
I’m using the 7P on my PC/PS5. Went with them over the 7X because it supports the 3D Tempest audio on the PS5, just like the Pulse.

My laptop has USB C so it’s a quick plug and play. Really happy with them so far.

They are less power hungry, so no amp needed. I guess I can repurpose them into home Office call setup from the cellphone.

I'm still sad about not being able to use my dac amp on the ps5, and I considered getting a hel 2 from schiit, but seriously, it's more expensive than the headset I got and according to my train of thought, more future proof

Can you use an audio extractor?

If you have a UAC 1 DAC you can use that with the PS5

The Hel 2 is the one I see recommended for the Ps5 the most as it's a UAC 2 DAC but can switch to UAC 1 for use on Ps4,Ps5 and switch.

Got my Arctis 7X’s yesterday and gave them a quick spin. Really happy with them and especially that I can bounce them between PS/XB/PC with a quick switch of the USB adaptor. They don’t get the functionality to support the 3D audio for the PS5, but I’m not really concerned with that since I’m not into competitive gaming where I think it would make the biggest difference. Just looking for something comfortable to wear with glasses that is cross platform and sounds good.

My 10 year old son saw the box on the coffee table as I was messing around with them getting super excited and was like “Whoa dad, did you get me a new headset?!” To which my reply was "Um, no. I got me a new headset. If you want a new one, time to start mowing the lawn."

I really want these but I'm going to wait for a price drop. I try to live by this motto..

N
P
R

Never
Pay
Retail.

Looking to buy a new Gaming headset. any suggestions?

My range is $100- $260 I guess I can go a little higher if its worth it

After hearing about the soundbeamer, I can't wait to try it out. Hopefully it works well, but essentially its a Bluetooth speaker that creates an audio bubble around your head that no one else can hear. Sounds insane but people are saying it works. If it works I can kiss headphones goodbye

Do you want to be able to chat or do you just want something for sound? I have the Bose QC35 II and they're the best headphones I've ever had. You can buy a dongle that connects it to your PS5 but you can't talk using it.

Do you want to be able to chat or do you just want something for sound? I have the Bose QC35 II and they're the best headphones I've ever had. You can buy a dongle that connects it to your PS5 but you can't talk using it.
both good sound and a solid mic. For PC gaming.

After hearing about the soundbeamer, I can't wait to try it out. Hopefully it works well, but essentially its a Bluetooth speaker that creates an audio bubble around your head that no one else can hear. Sounds insane but people are saying it works. If it works I can kiss headphones goodbye
I'm interested; tired of sore ears over longer sessions. Keep us in the loop.

If you already have a good mic and a worthy sound card with a quoted budget ceiling of $260 (with flexibility to go higher), then I cannot emphasize strongly enough...

This is what you want to buy. It's worth it. You'll be stepping into the God tier of sound.

*Edit*
After composing the below post I did notice the newer Sennheiser 560S is a worthy alternative consideration since it comes in over $70 cheaper at Amazon. I've never listened to the 560S, personally, though, so I can't testify for them the way I can the 600's. The most notable difference is that the 560S sacrifices Mid and Treble accuracy for superior Bass:

Rtings: Sennheiser HD 600 vs. Sennheiser HD 560S

Last edited:
Having seconded that specific recommendation as strongly I possibly could for you as an individual with your criteria, here's an adaptation of a post I recently made for the Xbox thread.

First, you'll find many here recommendations here:
Sherdog > Gaming headsets thread

Second, here is favorite lab, and always my first stop for reviews:
Rtings: The 7 Best Gaming Headsets - Fall 2021 Reviews

Third, I've customized Rtings tables for the respective platforms here with a focus on wireless headsets:
  1. Best (Wireless) Headsets for PC
  2. Best (Wireless) Headsets for PS5 & PS4
  3. Best (Wireless) Headets for Xbox Series X/S & Xbox One

Notes on custom tables:
  • "... Non-BT Wireless" are there so you can filter for any headsets that aren't truly, natively wireless on the respective system (PS5, PS4, XSX/XSS, XB1). This includes filtering out those that specifically don't offer a non-Bluetooth connection (Bluetooth carries a higher latency which is bad). Also note that it tells you whether or not both audio and mic (voice-input) is supported wirelessly.
  • "Wireless Gaming" is their score that weights all their different individual measurements with an aim towards presenting the best overall wireless headsets. FYI, you can use your mouse cursor to hover over the blue question mark next to any of these categorical scores to see how they weight it precisely.
  • "Neutral Sound" indicates raw, objective sound quality. The best score here are the best-sounding headsets. You'll quickly notice that all the top scorers here are headphones, not gaming headsets. They're also not wireless.
  • "Passive Soundstage" and "Imaging" are, theoretically, the most important metrics for sound in gaming for those interested in a competitive advantage (i.e. headsets with the best scores here will offer the most accurate directional cues to where a sound is originating in a virtual 3D environment)
  • Finally, I included "Base/Dock Charging" because I know a lot of console gamers like to have a station to hang up their headphones next to their console/TV since they don't have a PC tower or monitor with a headset hanger, and the only meaningful other function such a dock serves is to charge the headset (pretty useless without that). Either way, it's not a huge deal, because the console has power-carrying USB ports, and almost all of these wireless headphones now charge via USB.

Hey guys,

There’s hopefully still a few deals out there for the holidays so I’ve been thinking about picking up a headset for gaming and some work. Got to be wireless. Been eyeing up the Arctic Wireless Pro for awhile but it says it’s not compatible with XBox. I see the odd workaround out there but can’t get a consistent word.

I have a PC and a Xbox Series X. Thoughts? Any other recommendations?

Back