Gaming headsets

Absurd sale on the Sennheiser PC-373D-- dropped from $250 to $100:
Amazon: Sennheiser PC-373D

looking to upgrade from my venum(Beexcellent) headset and wondering what you fine people will think is abetter option. The ones listed above or HyperX Cloud II

looking for comfort more then anything although a good mic is nice as well. The beexcellent are fine enough but get uncomfortable after prolonged use and also gets pretty hot as well (dont turn on the lights with the usb).

looking to upgrade from my venum(Beexcellent) headset and wondering what you fine people will think is abetter option. The ones listed above or HyperX Cloud II

looking for comfort more then anything although a good mic is nice as well. The beexcellent are fine enough but get uncomfortable after prolonged use and also gets pretty hot as well (dont turn on the lights with the usb).

The Sennheiser at that price point.
Or you could do a set of Philips SHP9500 & a V-MODA BoomPro for the same price.

How could disagree with Bortus, Sennheiser looks like a winning option.

thanks for the help.

Hi,

I have DT770 pro 80ohm headphones and they're not loud enough. I have them plugged into the antlion gdl-0427 y adapter on my xbox controller (which is necessary to use with the antlion modmic). How do I adjust the volume on these headphones? Do I need an amp? As I'm sure you can tell, I'm an idiot when it comes to tech. Thanks in advance.

Edit: after more research it seems that I need an amp or dac and that plugging into the controller results in inferior audio which I can attest to because prior to using the y adapter with my antlion modmic I was plugged directly into my xbox using an optical cable and the sound was much better though still too quiet. I should have gotten the 32ohm version which apparently has much better volume and I should have educated myself more before getting these headphones.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have DT770 pro 80ohm headphones and they're not loud enough. I have them plugged into the antlion gdl-0427 y adapter on my xbox controller (which is necessary to use with the antlion modmic). How do I adjust the volume on these headphones? Do I need an amp? As I'm sure you can tell, I'm an idiot when it comes to tech. Thanks in advance.

Edit: after more research it seems that I need an amp or dac and that plugging into the controller results in inferior audio which I can attest to because prior to using the y adapter with my antlion modmic I was plugged directly into my xbox using an optical cable and the sound was much better though still too quiet. I should have gotten the 32ohm version which apparently has much better volume and I should have educated myself more before getting these headphones.

Your easiest option is the ASTRO Gaming Mix Amp Pro TR. Make sure to get the XBOX version.
Here's a list of other dac/amps options. The Xbone doesn't support USB audio so you have to make sure to get one that has different inputs.

Amazon has these Sennheiser's on sale today.

$113.00

Amazon has these Sennheiser's on sale today.

$113.00
If those are the GAME ONES that matches a prior low seen on Amazon. This was pointed out recently in the buildapc sub when some other vendor had them for $105 recently. That doesn't mean this low price will last, but I'm not sure what the steady going rate has been. Haven't kept up.

It's crazy to see that. They were still commanding a $229 retail a year ago (down from $249 launch price in 2013 or 2014) as seen in a PC Gamer article. IIRC, the flash sales were in the $159-$199 range.

If those are the GAME ONES that matches a prior low seen on Amazon. This was pointed out recently in the buildapc sub when some other vendor had them for $105 recently. That doesn't mean this low price will last, but I'm not sure what the steady going rate has been. Haven't kept up.

It's crazy to see that. They were still commanding a $229 retail a year ago (down from $249 launch price in 2013 or 2014) as seen in a PC Gamer article. IIRC, the flash sales were in the $159-$199 range.

Since the price is down, do you think that their new hotness is due soon? Get rid of the old to make way for the new?

Since the price is down, do you think that their new hotness is due soon? Get rid of the old to make way for the new?
I don't know. Maybe. I think maybe the audiophile headphone market has simply become saturated in recent years with the rise of gaming, generally, and perhaps prices in it have also depressed due to the the advent of communities like Massdrop. Normally I'm all about the new hotness, but headphone technology is similar to speaker technology. It really isn't advancing outside the push to bring electrostatic headphones to consumers, and while that's great in theory, it really isn't significant. The sound is the same. This is awesome for consumers.

The most significant changes right now are to the software capability. A headphone that is truly universal, natively, to all platforms is the golden standards for gamers: Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Switch, Wii U, iOS, Android. More and more of them are adding onboard sound cards for devices that don't have great onboard audio, too, but that's also been a bit gimmicky. It's compatibility that everyone wants. Wireless is the rage, too.

So if one isn't looking for that stuff it really doesn't matter what they're going to release. This is an incredible value today or tomorrow.

HyperX headphones great for the money.

I use the HyperX Cloud I and the USB cable connection started giving me static, but using it just with the headphone Jack works just as well.

Corsair has a really nice headset that only costs 50 bucks and is just as good, if not better, than most headsets in the 100-150 range.

I don't know. Maybe. I think maybe the audiophile headphone market has simply become saturated in recent years with the rise of gaming, generally, and perhaps prices in it have also depressed due to the the advent of communities like Massdrop. Normally I'm all about the new hotness, but headphone technology is similar to speaker technology. It really isn't advancing outside the push to bring electrostatic headphones to consumers, and while that's great in theory, it really isn't significant. The sound is the same. This is awesome for consumers.

The most significant changes right now are to the software capability. A headphone that is truly universal, natively, to all platforms is the golden standards for gamers: Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Switch, Wii U, iOS, Android. More and more of them are adding onboard sound cards for devices that don't have great onboard audio, too, but that's also been a bit gimmicky. It's compatibility that everyone wants. Wireless is the rage, too.

So if one isn't looking for that stuff it really doesn't matter what they're going to release. This is an incredible value today or tomorrow.

Good stuff man! I WANT to get these but I have about 3 headsets right now and I need to go cold-turkey from my audiophile crack addiction! :)

if it helps hault the addiction I am no audio head of any kind. I have no clue if these are bananas or just all my old ones are shit (most likely the answer). Have used Razer megaladon and the beexelent headphones before these are better then my Edifier speakers as well.

if it helps hault the addiction I am no audio head of any kind. I have no clue if these are bananas or just all my old ones are shit (most likely the answer). Have used Razer megaladon and the beexelent headphones before these are better then my Edifier speakers as well.
Which Edifier's do you have?

Good stuff man! I WANT to get these but I have about 3 headsets right now and I need to go cold-turkey from my audiophile crack addiction! :)
Can relate but with controllers, treating myself to new ones in what I'll liken to digital debauchery. Latest were the new Ps Alpine Greens. Fuhgeddaboudit.

Back