Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

I wasn't getting technical....i gave the version that would be equivalent to say base model price of a car, and adding options to it at a dealer, and the dealer price being higher than what the base model's MSRP would be.

I don't think MSI released a MSRP on this card but here you can see a price difference.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-rx6700xt...&ranSiteID=0JlRymcP1YU-L8Sy52lxMcPk2CiKM_3Jvg

https://www.microcenter.com/search/...6700+xt&Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=0&myStore=true

You kinda proved your own point because there's cards in that list as high as $830.

Do you have an actual link from Microcenter listing a 6800 card at $880? If not then you might have misremembered or maybe the price included the tax.

But yeah there are different version for 6800 cards at higher MSRP out there.

No, the other poster posted that he saw a card for $880 and Newegg and Bestbuy had none at that level of that model.

@Prefect is correct that Microcenter has already price gouged on GPUs. This has already been discussed on their forums as early as January:
https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/7129/price-gouging-begins

This cause a stir during the first cryptobubble in 2018.

For example, right now, MSI's "Gaming X" variant for the RX 6700 XT, which is one of their lower-end AIC designs, is selling for $814.99. That's about a few hundred dollars above where it would normally sell with its premium above the $479 MSRP baseline:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...g-x-dual-fan-12gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card

Normally the premium on the Gaming X is less than $60. You can see that by studying the price histories using price trackers of other Gaming X cards (because often manufacturers don't list the MSRP of their various AICs at their website). Take the RTX 2070 Super, for example. The MSRP for that card was $499. Well, you can see that it debuted at $549 on Newegg. Newegg, Wal-Mart, B&H, and Amazon all sold it most commonly between $500-$550.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zg...card-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x?history_days=730

AFAIK, they haven't done this with the CPUs, yet, but I don't track MC closely because there's little point in knowing the cost of things I can't buy.

they don't go for msrp. You have to go back to last summer before the semiconductor industry got ducked by covid for msrp. microcenter doesn't even sell open box at msrp.

They quit selling top end products like high end graphics cards and 5900x's at msrp.

those 6700XT's 100% went for $479.99

please show proof of mc selling 5900Xs for more than msrp.

since this might be convoluted now... yes, mc has gpu models for more than msrp. they also have models for msrp.

prefect claimed that they don't sell 5900x for msrp or any of the gpus for msrp. hence, why i linked the newest gpu (6700xt), which the most common models went for msrp. (and the 5900x and etc, previously)

@Prefect is correct that Microcenter has already price gouged on GPUs. This has already been discussed on their forums as early as January:
https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/7129/price-gouging-begins

This cause a stir during the first cryptobubble in 2018.

For example, right now, MSI's "Gaming X" variant for the RX 6700 XT, which is one of their lower-end AIC designs, is selling for $814.99. That's about a few hundred dollars above where it would normally sell with its premium above the $479 MSRP baseline:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...g-x-dual-fan-12gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card

Normally the premium on the Gaming X is less than $60. You can see that by studying the price histories using price trackers of other Gaming X cards (because often manufacturers don't list the MSRP of their various AICs at their website). Take the RTX 2070 Super, for example. The MSRP for that card was $499. Well, you can see that it debuted at $549 on Newegg. Newegg, Wal-Mart, B&H, and Amazon all sold it most commonly between $500-$550.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zg...card-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x?history_days=730

AFAIK, they haven't done this with the CPUs, yet, but I don't track MC closely because there's little point in knowing the cost of things I can't buy.

But is this an example of Microcenter gouging by several hundreds of dollars or MSI gouging? You cannot get this version of "Gaming X" card at $479 + (60-100) anywhere (Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, etc...). It seems that MSI raised the MSRP on this Gaming variant GPU and then other retailers are each adding a bit more on top...

since this might be convoluted now... yes, mc has gpu models for more than msrp. they also have models for msrp.

prefect claimed that they don't sell 5900x for msrp or any of the gpus for msrp. hence, why i linked the newest gpu (6700xt), which the most common models went for msrp. (and the 5900x and etc, previously)

Yes. They do mark up the high end cards. Every time for awhile when 3080s were dropped, they didn't sell for $750.

Yes. They do mark up the high end cards. Every time for awhile when 3080s were dropped, they didn't sell for $750.

So you are saying Microcenter has listed the Founder's Edition of the 3080 for more than $750? Or is this some other 3080 variant from other manufacturer (Aorus, MSI, Gigabye, etc..)? Those other variants will come with a higher MSRP depending on which card you are talking about. Again the MSRP is not dictated by Microcenter.

i don't think mc is really marking them up. it's msi/asus/etc that are.

my mc had ~10 models of the 6700xt. the 2 with real quantities ("25+") were for msrp ($479), and the ones i linked and specifically referred to.

all the other variants only had small quantities. some of them seemed to only have 3 total units.

i have yet to ever hear of a 5900x at mc selling for more than msrp - outside of your claim. which i put 0 belief in.

So you are saying Microcenter has listed the Founder's Edition of the 3080 for more than $750? Or is this some other 3080 variant from other manufacturer (Aorus, MSI, Gigabye, etc..)? Those other variants will come with a higher MSRP depending on which card you are talking about. Again the MSRP is not dictated by Microcenter.

There are variants but a lot of the cards when released are marked up.

But is this an example of Microcenter gouging by several hundreds of dollars or MSI gouging? You cannot get this version of "Gaming X" card at $479 + (60-100) anywhere (Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, etc...). It seems that MSI raised the MSRP on this Gaming variant GPU and then other retailers are each adding a bit more on top...
I'm saying they're all gouging. Most of the prices you see on Amazon aren't even Amazon's prices. Those are third-party sellers (the same stores selling on eBay). Wal-Mart does this too, now.

AFAIK, it's the seller in each case. MSI (like NVIDIA and AMD) put out their cards for the same prices they always did. As was previously observed, even tariffs wouldn't account for the inflation, and it certainly doesn't in the case I highlighted.

However, that will change. I saw an article recently (as in March, not January) for one of the AIC partners, I can't remember which one, think it was EVGA, where they essentially announced they were done sitting on the sidelines of the crypto-feast. They're going to start charging more right out the door. Hard to blame them. Since nobody is controlling costs, they might as well take a bite out of the gougers' markups. I'd rather it was them than some unctuous bot-scraping entrepreneur who contributes nothing to the marketplace whatsoever (it's not like we need any of these people to facilitate the service of selling GPUs to us...they're true leeches, and one of the few genuine examples of capitalist scum).

i don't think mc is really marking them up. it's msi/asus/etc that are.

my mc had ~10 models of the 6700xt. the 2 with real quantities ("25+") were for msrp ($479), and the ones i linked and specifically referred to.

all the other variants only had small quantities. some of them seemed to only have 3 total units.

i have yet to ever hear of a 5900x at mc selling for more than msrp - outside of your claim. which i put 0 belief in.

It is cute you keep comparing phantom non-existent stock to the real world.

The only company that I have found that has sold consistently low is Best Buy and good luck beating a bot with them.

I'm saying they're all gouging. Most of the prices you see on Amazon aren't even Amazon's prices. Those are third-party sellers (the same stores selling on eBay). Wal-Mart does this too, now.

AFAIK, it's the seller in each case. MSI (like NVIDIA and AMD) put out their cards for the same prices they always did. As was previously observed, even tariffs wouldn't account for the inflation, and it certainly doesn't in the case I highlighted.

However, that will change. I saw an article recently (as in March, not January) for one of the AIC partners, I can't remember which one, think it was EVGA, where they essentially announced they were done sitting on the sidelines of the crypto-feast. They're going to start charging more right out the door. Hard to blame them. Since nobody is controlling costs, they might as well take a bite out of the gougers' markups. I'd rather it was them than some unctuous bot-scraping entrepreneur who contributes nothing to the marketplace whatsoever (it's not like we need any of these people to facilitate the service of selling GPUs to us...they're true leeches, and one of the few genuine examples of capitalist scum).

I feel this will only hurt the consumer in the end. At least there is a chance for some of us to get these cards. I know people are lining up every single day in the morning at Microcenter to score one. That's been going on since launch for most of these cards.

If manufacturers are raising prices there is no guarantee it will slow down anything at all and it'll only guarantee that consumers have to pay the extra markup...

it just plain sucks in general...

The only company that I have found that has sold consistently low is Best Buy and good luck beating a bot with them.
You're right, of course. It's already been established that Microcenter themselves have a history of marking up the costs of hardware during these wildly inflated markets (not board partners). They willfully admitted it, and partially corrected it in 2018 when they got caught by vloggers.
I feel this will only hurt the consumer in the end. At least there is a chance for some of us to get these cards. I know people are lining up every single day in the morning at Microcenter to score one. That's been going on since launch for most of these cards.

If manufacturers are raising prices there is no guarantee it will slow down anything at all and it'll only guarantee that consumers have to pay the extra markup...

it just plain sucks in general...
No. Basic economics, here. Supply and demand is determining the selling point of these GPUs. Simply because the board partners charge more at the beginning of the chain doesn't entail that the GPUs will sell for more, ultimately. You're errantly assuming that the cost at each point in the chain is unavoidable, so the cost is passed on, but that's wrong, because the gougers who are selling the product to the consumer aren't covering logistical fees. It's pure, exploitative profit.

So the gougers are the ones who lose. The consumers are only willing to pay what they're wiling to pay. The buyers are determining the ultimate price.

There are variants but a lot of the cards when released are marked up.

Well that hasn't been my experience at all. I just built 2 PC and everything (aside from the GPUs and fans) I bought was from Microcenter. Every time I went there I checked out the GPU prices for comparison and it was always at around MSRP compared to everywhere else. So I am not sure which Microcenter you usually goto but what you're describing isn't MC policy. They generally have very competitive prices. I have never seen price gouging.

Last edited:
You're right, of course. It's already been established that Microcenter themselves have a history of marking up the costs of hardware during these wildly inflated markets (not board partners). They willfully admitted it, and partially corrected it in 2018 when they got caught by vloggers.

No. Basic economics, here. Supply and demand is determining the selling point of these GPUs. Simply because the board partners charge more at the beginning of the chain doesn't entail that the GPUs will sell for more, ultimately. You're errantly assuming that the cost at each point in the chain is unavoidable, so the cost is passed on, but that's wrong, because the gougers who are selling the product to the consumer aren't covering logistical fees. It's pure, exploitative profit.

So the gougers are the ones who lose. The consumers are only willing to pay what they're wiling to pay. The buyers are determining the ultimate price.

Yes but consumers also have no choice but to buy these GPUs at a higher price. This will also affect pre-built PC prices and so forth.

If you want a good gaming card you will have to eventually pay for it at higher price. All you're doing is giving that extra money to the board partners instead of the gougers. Its not something us consumers would want regardless of who is getting the money.

first you argue that they're overcharging, now you're just bitching that mc isn't "the real world?" get a grip, man.

ffs, their 5800x are UNDER msrp.

first you argue that they're overcharging, now you're just bitching that mc isn't "the real world?" get a grip, man.

ffs, their 5800x are UNDER msrp.

Their pricing is higher than others, who sell out instantly.

A 5800 is not a 5900.

Their pricing is higher than others, who sell out instantly.

A 5800 is not a 5900.

i never said a 5800 is a 5900.
you said they're marking up. hence, why i posted the 5800 for UNDER msrp. down ain't up.
mc also is in-store only and 1 per person.

you still have yet to show ANY indication of the 5900x being sold at mc for more than msrp. and now you seem salty.

i never said a 5800 is a 5900.
you said they're marking up. hence, why i posted the 5800 for UNDER msrp. down ain't up.
mc also is in-store only and 1 per person.

you still have yet to show ANY indication of the 5900x being sold at mc for more than msrp. and now you seem salty.
The 5600X is $20 below MSRP too.

Back