Gameplan for rolling with higher belts

Are you still training there?

No i could not afford how much it cost to train there over 400$ a month. Right now i am focusing on my stand up at a very good old school boxing gym in Niagara Falls that cost 60$ a month.

No i could not afford how much it cost to train there over 400$ a month. Right now i am focusing on my stand up at a very good old school boxing gym in Niagara Falls that cost 60$ a month.

$400 a month? WTF? in Niagra Falls? What's the name of the school?

Jesus christ $400 a month???? that is insane... who teaches there? Is he some sort of BJJ world champ?

$400 a month? WTF? in Niagra Falls? What's the name of the school?

The MMA school is in Buffalo the Boxing gym i train at now is in Niagara Falls and it is a very good old school gym and i only pay 60$ a month, just so there is no confusion.

Keep a journal of the moves you learned and see if you can find instructionals on how to do them. if you have questions about stuff ask people in class to work with you. sparring doesnt have to be about a "fight" you can drill during that time too if your partner is willing to work with you on stuff

I'm sure punching a black belt would end poorly. he or she would probably make short work of you

What should the gameplan be? defence defence defence? Try this to see what they do etc..?

Takedown -> Guard pass -> Side control -> Knee on belly -> Mount -> Submission/Back Mount -> Submission

Alternatively:
Guard Pull -> Submission/Sweep > Mount -> Submission/Back Mount -> Submission

Anyway, I reached the conclusion that it is best to train defense/escapes/survival as much as possible in your white belt. When it starts to become hard to submit/get positions over you then you know that it is time to risk more and attack.

worst post of 2012, this is fkn terrible advice

Yep, that may not be the best advice.

I like the recommendation of "small victories". If you can go from high in-your-armpits mounted to a lower mount with better posture, that's awesome. If you can recover half guard (even momentarily), HUGE accomplishment.

I'm not sure that going be number of times tapped is a good thing. I used to think this was a good way to go and I know a lot of high level guys do suggest this - and maybe it's good in a long term view - but for an individual roll it might lead to you being overly defensive and not learning as much.

For gameplan, I would go with trying hard to do things correctly and monitor progress in terms of small achievements. If you aren't being a funky spaz and are actually trying legit technique the upper belt is more likely to mentor you and make sure you improve as well - if you're being the spazmaster and going for weird stuff that doesn't usually work they probably won't teach you as much.

Last edited:
I suggest trying not to piss them off.

This.

If you're a nooby white belt and you act respectful, I will show you cool stuff.

If you act like a douche and get mad that you're "losing" in training or try to rip my foot off because you think only you know all the secret leglocks, get ready for five straight minutes of knee on belly and chokes that smash your face.

Just to clear a couple of things up, of course I'm not asking how to beat them. And I shall certainly be at the next class! (I've paid a month in advance)

I've no problems getting slaughtered, but there must be a point to it.

Some great posts in here though, amongst other things these were my favourite bits of advice I'll be using next time:

- If it's inevitable, how can I make it as difficult as possible for them? (marian)
- Single, small goals each roll (Steeltwo)
- Try to figure out what they did, very generally.(Jagcorps_esq)
- I play a very cautious game with brown and above with a focus on getting my grips right and forcing them to attack me (ASUKTFO) - this I especially like as at least I'm making them do something, sure the end results is the same, but as we said earlier, it's still a small goal.

Cheers guys.

I started in August of this year. Last night I was sparring against one of our brown belts. I've rolled against him before and he usually makes short work of me. Unless he's just toying with me before the kill.

Anyway, last night he started in side control. After about 60 seconds or so he was able to execute some kind of lapel choke. After I tapped he said "You did everything right. You were moving your hips, you kept your elbows in etc." It came down to a couple things
1. He's just better than me (hence the brown belt to my white belt.)
2. I was executing moves to escape side control, I was not focusing on getting choked (although I should have been.)

But for me, it was a victory, of sorts, because he didn't just automatically get to knee mount, or full mount. And at the end he told me what I was doing right.

That's my focus every time I go against higher belts (last night 1/2 the class was purple or brown.) And honestly, at this point, it's my focus against fellow white belts. I want to make sure I'm doing the moves correctly to protect myself first. Then if something opens up I'll try for a submission.

Work on doing what you were taught correctly should be your only goal,tapping and getting tapped is irrelevent. Wanting to give a black belt a run for his money after only 2 lessons? GTFO.

try to set up and do the moves you have been practicing in class....even if it is something basic like arm bar from guard.

They will more than likley let you work if they feel you are trying.

Just remember that if you control or tap them in any way...they are letting you and can go back to smashing you at will whenever they choose.

ive been training just over a year no-gi, and against the higher level guys, i focus on movement, working out how i can move them from my position, and trying to avoid the submission, i can spot the openings but i dont always capitalize, its like fighting someone with 8 limbs at times, and i just seem to be a half second behind, however knowing where and when youre missing things is half the battle, once you work that part out, you see where you can tighten things up and work.

and if you train with good guys like i do, then just ask, all the people at my club, once they get their breath back, will explain what you did well, what mistakes they capitalized on and how to adjust so you make those mistakes less, the only stupid question is the one you dont ask

Also, learn from them.

They catch you in a sub, ask them how they did it, and what you could do to defend against it.

Back