Gameplan for rolling with higher belts

It all depends on how they roll. If they are playing aggressive your going to be forced to play defense completely for you first couple years. A lot of the time they will give me an opening to see if I capitalize to help judge where my progression is at.

Put them on their back. You will have a better chance of winning if you are on top. If you have good takedowns try to get a takedown straight into side control and avoid the guard because it saves time since you have already gotten past their guard. From there work for a sub from side control or go into mount. If you are in their guard, work for a pass or a leg lock. I have seen white/blue belts who trained leg locks tap out browns. Some people don't train leg locks AT ALL, so you will have a chance at getting a tap by going for a heel hook, toe hold, or a knee bar, but make sure you know what you're doing and that you don't injure your partner. I tapped purples with leg locks when I was a white belt and kimuras too.

worst post of 2012, this is fkn terrible advice

Gameplan: show up for your third class.
Great post man, I couldn't think of anything better.
Try to not use any strength, be strategic with your approach. Once they do something, pause and think about it. I've never rolled with any brown belt or higher that will smash a white belt that is trying to go slow and careful.

Martial arts are not a sprint, it is a marathon.

Just to clear a couple of things up, of course I'm not asking how to beat them. And I shall certainly be at the next class! (I've paid a month in advance)

I've no problems getting slaughtered, but there must be a point to it.

Some great posts in here though, amongst other things these were my favourite bits of advice I'll be using next time:

- If it's inevitable, how can I make it as difficult as possible for them? (marian)
- Single, small goals each roll (Steeltwo)
- Try to figure out what they did, very generally.(Jagcorps_esq)
- I play a very cautious game with brown and above with a focus on getting my grips right and forcing them to attack me (ASUKTFO) - this I especially like as at least I'm making them do something, sure the end results is the same, but as we said earlier, it's still a small goal.

Cheers guys.

If you feel deflatted by a BB doing that to you in your second class, then you have a long road ahead of you as it will. E awhile before Browns, Purples and most Blues can't do the same to you.

If they're one of the instructors of that day, try to use a move that you learned in the class. They'll probably be very happy or at least recognize that you're trying to implement what you've shown them.

Maybe a mount escape that they taught you or a pass you learned from them.

I know it feels futile, and at your point you aren't going to tap those guys but you have to roll like you can. Roll technically (don't spaz) but always roll like you can beat them. I say this because if you don't then you never will beat them. It's a confidence thing. When you resigned to thinking it was futile, in a way you gave up. Maybe not fully, maybe you still tried to retain guard or whatever but in the back of your mind you were saying hes just going to tap me again. Jiu jitsu can be quite cerebral, a lot of people overlook this aspect.

On a side note don't keep track of who you beat in the gym, Gym records don't mean shit.

So true.

Pass the guard, mount, and get the tap.

or

Sweep, pass the guard, mount, and get the tap.

I don't play that defensive or survive bullshit. I usually get crushed and tapped but that's ok. We reset and I go back to work. I don't mind that I get swept/submitted because my aggressiveness. I'm going to keep at it until I pass, mount, and tap!

Against a significantly higher rank I'd rather get tapped 6 times but hit a sweep or a guard pass, than only get tapped twice but be entirely on the defensive.

Last edited:
My goal atm with the pro fighters at the gym and our instructors is simply to start on bottom, break posture and get out to a superior angle when I do break posture. From there its all good, ill end up getting passed most times, then mounted or back taken and submitted but at least im learning to do one good thing against someone much better.

Last week I managed to triangle one of the pro fighters with this approach. sure he got me 5 times in the same 5 minute round but whatever.

"Gameplan" lol. Gameplan is to learn as much as possible from the roll, you will get tapped regardless of what gameplan you come up with.

It never hurts when rolling with someone much better than you to ask "what did I do wrong" or "whats the defense for that". You can even ask "what did you get me with" after tapping and then when you drill a move you'll remember it from an actual roll. I would wait until the end of the roll to speak, but don't be afraid to ask for info.

I have learned some great tips and tricks from doing just that. Some people may not be interested in talking about it while rolling, but most high level belts enjoy teaching new guys and will likely enjoy the mentoring.

In my first BJJ class i rolled with a brown belt co instructor to start because i was left without a partner because we had a uneven amount of people. My grappling experience was 3 years of high school wrestling and teaching my self BJJ for years with instuctonal videos. I am 5'8 and weigh 185-190 and i am a powerlifter. To my suprise as soon as we start rolling i was using my strenght and wrestling skills very effectively and was overpowering the instructer and getting dominant positions like side control and half gard, i powered out of a few kimura attempts kept a strong base avoiding being sweept. He came close to traingle choking me but i kept stong posture and avoided a couple of traingle attempts, but i could not do anything offensive because i could not pass his full guard and i was starting to get tired. In the end i ended up surviving with out being submitted by using my strength and getting good positions. The next time i went though it was a gi class and i rolled with the instructor again and he got me in a couple of gi chokes and a RNC. But he said it was a pain to grapple me because of my shorter limbs and strength.

In my first BJJ class i rolled with a brown belt co instructor to start because i was left without a partner because we had a uneven amount of people. My grappling experience was 3 years of high school wrestling and teaching my self BJJ for years with instuctonal videos. I am 5'8 and weigh 185-190 and i am a powerlifter. To my suprise as soon as we start rolling i was using my strenght and wrestling skills very effectively and was overpowering the instructer and getting dominant positions like side control and half gard, i powered out of a few kimura attempts kept a strong base avoiding being sweept. He came close to traingle choking me but i kept stong posture and avoided a couple of traingle attempts, but i could not do anything offensive because i could not pass his full guard and i was starting to get tired. In the end i ended up surviving with out being submitted by using my strength and getting good positions. The next time i went though it was a gi class and i rolled with the instructor again and he got me in a couple of gi chokes and a RNC. But he said it was a pain to grapple me because of my shorter limbs and strength.

Are you still training there?

This is probably the worst advice ever for a few reasons:

1. You don't know how to do any of these moves, which can be dangerous and are illegal for white belts under almost every rule set. Heel hooks are considered dangerous by virtually the entire sub grappling community and are usually only trained by very experienced grapplers.

2. You'll learn less if you just try to find tricky ways to beat upper belts. It might work once, but if you get good at passing guard that will work far more often.

3. If you as a white belt go for a heel hook or some other leg lock on an upper belt, they will think (with justification) that you're not safe to train with. If an upper belt thinks you're not safe to train with, they won't teach you anything, and they very well might protect themselves by dominating you and never letting you work anything at all. That would be my response, at least until I felt you'd learned better etiquette.

Just try to stay relaxed and work what you know. Don't be afraid to ask a few questions about how to deal with specific positions. I'm never offended by white belts requesting explanations of how I did something, though I might not tell them if it's something that's way over their head. BJJ takes a long time to learn, establishing a reputation in your gym as a safe, relaxed, but focused student will go a long way towards upper belts helping you improve both formally and informally. You're not going to beat brown and black belts (to the extent that anyone 'beats' anyone in rolling) for years and years, so focus on learning and don't worry if they decide to submit you.

As a white belt I was at a school where leg locks were not "discriminated" against (if you wanna call it that). We were taught how to properly do leg locks and to tap early. Just because you're a white belt does not mean that you are retarded and can't be trained ina certain technique to the point where you understand it and won't be stupid. A white belt can be someone with up to maybe 2 1/2 years of training, and I'm sure someone that trained for that much time knows how joint locks work and if trained in them knows how to properly execute a knee bar just like an armbar. The color of the belt doesn't mean shit. When nate diaz was a blue he was tapping browns and i think some blacks in his early MMA career.

As a white belt I was at a school where leg locks were not "discriminated" against (if you wanna call it that). We were taught how to properly do leg locks and to tap early. Just because you're a white belt does not mean that you are retarded and can't be trained ina certain technique to the point where you understand it and won't be stupid. A white belt can be someone with up to maybe 2 1/2 years of training, and I'm sure someone that trained for that much time knows how joint locks work and if trained in them knows how to properly execute a knee bar just like an armbar. The color of the belt doesn't mean shit. When nate diaz was a blue he was tapping browns and i think some blacks in his early MMA career.

Hey! thats me!

the 2.5 year white belt not the Nate diaz thing.

Back