Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

tenor.gif

After S4, 60 more high quality, well written episodes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5 over produced, big budget, blockbuster films, imo. The last 4 seasons (33 episodes) felt ridiculously rushed, so 5 films would have been even worse.

Never really get it when people list the big budget, set-piece episodes (say Battle of the Bastards) as their favourite moments of the series, tbh. They were often good and all, but they were not what made GoT so good.

Still lmao when remembering how people used to say that they will rewatch the show when all seasons are out

Still lmao when remembering how people used to say that they will rewatch the show when all seasons are out
My sister loves all the books and said she was going to wait until the show was completely finished before watching, so she can binge them. I told her to save herself the heartache and her answer was "It can't be that bad, can it?"

Yes, it's that bad.

My sister loves all the books and said she was going to wait until the show was completely finished before watching, so she can binge them. I told her to save herself the heartache and her answer was "It can't be that bad, can it?"

Yes, it's that bad.

You're a good brother,

If you just binge it all 8 seasons without time to fully digest it you might actually not mind s8 at 1st.. then about a week later realize it sucked and not care anymore.

Long time book readers since the 1990s were most pissed.

I wonder how much money has been lost because of the dumpster fire the last seasons were?
Imagine they knocked it out of the park. The amount of money lost from people not re watching the show has gotta be huge.

I wonder how much money has been lost because of the dumpster fire the last seasons were?
Imagine they knocked it out of the park. The amount of money lost from people not re watching the show has gotta be huge.

I was always excited to rewatch the serious after the full story has been told - to see the early hints and get the full picture

big on my to do list

I never have done it and I never want to

With the mystery and intrigue gone it sucks to rewatch it and wonder about the future ... to know how crappy the future is

Think of Better Call Saul, we knew the ending since day one yet this is the best show ever

GOT really fucked up

Game of Thrones for HBO Now would have been what 'Friends' and 'The Office' was for Netflix, for decades to come.

But, D&D fucked it all up, royally, and no one at HBO that was in a position of higher authority to call them out on their bullshit scripts.

I'm still begging for there to be a Reddit leak from someone behind the production of S7&S8 that would explain exactly what went so horribly wrong behind the scenes, because the 'they had no book sources to adapt' excuse is bullshit because S6 wasn't adapted from anything and was pretty damn awesome with only minor gripes.

Game of Thrones for HBO Now would have been what 'Friends' and 'The Office' was for Netflix, for decades to come.

But, D&D fucked it all up, royally, and no one at HBO that was in a position of higher authority to call them out on their bullshit scripts.

I'm still begging for there to be a Reddit leak from someone behind the production of S7&S8 that would explain exactly what went so horribly wrong behind the scenes, because the 'they had no book sources to adapt' excuse is bullshit because S6 wasn't adapted from anything and was pretty damn awesome with only minor gripes.

Even seasons 1-4, more than 50% was original content and it was awesome. The writing just went to shit for some other reason

It was known from about 2015 that those 2 were losing their passion for the project......yet they still refused to quit and let someone else take over. No idea why they weren't just kicked out.

Saying that, (75x) hour long GoT episodes are never going to have the re-watchability of a 25 minute long sitcom (x200), to the general public.

It was known from about 2015 that those 2 were losing their passion for the project......yet they still refused to quit and let someone else take over. No idea why they weren't just kicked out.

Saying that, (75x) hour long GoT episodes are never going to have the re-watchability of a 25 minute long sitcom (x200), to the general public.

Actually, you're 100% right.

When D&D decided after Season 6 that they were going to end the series within 13 episodes spread over the last two seasons, this series was fucked. I called it then, and I was 100% right.

If D&D, after Season 5, said "We're getting burned out, lets do this for two more seasons while bringing on two other producers on board for on-the-job training to take over for Seasons 7, 8, 9, and 10" it would have been the much smarter move not driven by ego.

GRRM and HBO said they were down for 10 seasons, and that's what the story needed to be completely fleshed out with all loose ends tied, minimum 9 seasons. End the series at an even 100 episodes.

"Oh, but HBO didn't want to spend the money for all the CGI and keep the cast for another 25+ episodes." THEN THEY SHOULD HAVE KILLED OFF SOME OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS, and nobody complained about the lack of CGI in the early seasons (in fact there was alot, but it was subtle rather than spending tens of millions on CGI dragons). If the dragons were expensive they should have adapted the 'less is more' philosophy rather than make each episode seem like a Marvel movie.

Even if HBO was scared about spending and extra $100 million on each season, they could have entered a partnership with Amazon to stream the series on Prime after a while. I'm just spitballing that idea but I'm sure there was a dozen different options available for investors or loans.

If the new producers for seasons 7-10 knocked it out of the park, yes, it would have been the 'Friends' or 'The Office' for decades to come, and fans would have bought the series box set on BluRay, 4K BluRay, and whatever physical media is developed in the future.

In other words, HBO fucked up and washed BILLIONS down the drain, because Game of Thrones could have been the new 'Star Wars' after Return of the Jedi as far as merchandise and license agreements.

Instead, its practically a dead franchise. Very few fans are interested in the new GoT spin-offs.

Actually, you're 100% right.

When D&D decided after Season 6 that they were going to end the series within 13 episodes spread over the last two seasons, this series was fucked. I called it then, and I was 100% right.

If D&D, after Season 5, said "We're getting burned out, lets do this for two more seasons while bringing on two other producers on board for on-the-job training to take over for Seasons 7, 8, 9, and 10" it would have been the much smarter move not driven by ego.

GRRM and HBO said they were down for 10 seasons, and that's what the story needed to be completely fleshed out with all loose ends tied, minimum 9 seasons. End the series at an even 100 episodes.

"Oh, but HBO didn't want to spend the money for all the CGI and keep the cast for another 25+ episodes." THEN THEY SHOULD HAVE KILLED OFF SOME OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS, and nobody complained about the lack of CGI in the early seasons (in fact there was alot, but it was subtle rather than spending tens of millions on CGI dragons). If the dragons were expensive they should have adapted the 'less is more' philosophy rather than make each episode seem like a Marvel movie.

Even if HBO was scared about spending and extra $100 million on each season, they could have entered a partnership with Amazon to stream the series on Prime after a while. I'm just spitballing that idea but I'm sure there was a dozen different options available for investors or loans.

If the new producers for seasons 7-10 knocked it out of the park, yes, it would have been the 'Friends' or 'The Office' for decades to come, and fans would have bought the series box set on BluRay, 4K BluRay, and whatever physical media is developed in the future.

In other words, HBO fucked up and washed BILLIONS down the drain, because Game of Thrones could have been the new 'Star Wars' after Return of the Jedi as far as merchandise and license agreements.

Instead, its practically a dead franchise. Very few fans are interested in the new GoT spin-offs.

HBO was ready and willing to invest as much time and money as needed to keep it going. Most all the cast was on board. As you said, what made GoT great wasn't the huge budget set pieces that became the norm in latter seasons, but the characters and complex, inter-weaving plot. D&D's apathy was the only reason it stopped.

Sure, GoT would have sold loads on box sets etc, and potentially made huge money for years with spin offs etc. It was never going to get like Friends though, where the original series could be played constantly around the world with huge success. The 2 shows are consumed completely differently.

HBO was ready and willing to invest as much time and money as needed to keep it going. Most all the cast was on board. As you said, what made GoT great wasn't the huge budget set pieces that became the norm in latter seasons, but the characters and complex, inter-weaving plot. D&D's apathy was the only reason it stopped.

Sure, GoT would have sold loads on box sets etc, and potentially made huge money for years with spin offs etc. It was never going to get like Friends though, where the original series could be played constantly around the world with huge success. The 2 shows are consumed completely differently.

Friends & GoT may not be the best analogy, but I think Star Wars & GoT would be more accurate, as far as licensing and merchandise for years to come.

Star Wars still made a shitton of money from 1983 to 1999 in between the original and prequel trilogies through merchandise and licensing, and in fact the fanbase grew significantly over those years, to the point that Ep1 was the most anticipated movie ever and set box office records.

GoT COULD have been the next Star Wars, or rather comparable to it, even without the child audience.

Friends & GoT may not be the best analogy, but I think Star Wars & GoT would be more accurate, as far as licensing and merchandise for years to come.

Star Wars still made a shitton of money from 1983 to 1999 in between the original and prequel trilogies through merchandise and licensing, and in fact the fanbase grew significantly over those years, to the point that Ep1 was the most anticipated movie ever and set box office records.

GoT COULD have been the next Star Wars, or rather comparable to it, even without the child audience.

Funnily enough I was thinking the Star Wars comparison myself.

I think they probably will try and resurrect it with spin offs or prequels, or remake it in a decade or so when/if the books get finished......but yeah things would have been a lot easier if they hadn't shit the bed so hard.

No doubt they'll fuck it up by choosing to do "Arya- The Pirate Years" or some shit like that.

I think they probably will try and resurrect it with spin offs or prequels, or remake it in a decade or so when/if the books get finished.

No chance in hell of either happening.

GRRM has no reason to finish the books. He's rich as fuck ($80 million net worth), elderly (71 years old), and is nihilist (doesn't care about his legacy after he dies because he'll be dead).

And remake it? How would it be different? No one would be interested in seeing the exact same thing for a few seasons, then start tweaking the middle seasons, and finally completely different final seasons.

Besides, people are getting sick of prequels, sequels, and remakes. How about some original ideas, HBO?

but yeah things would have been a lot easier if they hadn't shit the bed so hard.

No doubt they'll fuck it up by choosing to do "Arya- The Pirate Years" or some shit like that.

It'll be entertaining to hear how HBO will try to un-fuck up their fuckup and fuck it up worse than D&D fucked it up.

Back