Gaethje vs. RDA

Again, 36-year old RDA who admits he's drained when fights at LW isn't an elite wrestler like Khabib. There's no reason to think he can do the same thing to Gaethje, who has a legit D1 background. Khabib is a lifelong grappler/wrestler. RDA is a BJJ guy who's picked up pretty good wrestling in MMA.

Gaethje can scramble but he got submitted as soon the fight hit the floor in the khabib fight. Khabib didn't even do that against Porier and Conor

Last edited:
Work gaethje? Probably not, but make gaethje work and turn it into a battle of cardio? Very possible.
They will throw down imo. Rda could try taking Justin down ... good luck keeping him there, though. The same goes for Justin. This will be a good one.

They will throw down imo. Rda could try taking Justin down ... good luck keeping him there, though. The same goes for Justin. This will be a good one.

He doesn't need to keep gaethje there, though, that's my point. He just needs to make gaethje work to get back up, work in the clinch etc etc. Gaethe slows down.... RDA doesn't.

It's a good fight and I hope it happens.

Both Dustin and Eddie did. To be fair Gaethje was probably wasn't expecting that from them and he did pop up immediately but doing so also seemed to tire him a bit.
Should’ve said “who’s taken him down and controlled him”. Look maybe Khabib opened the playbook and dudes will just start ragdolling Gaethje to the ground, but I suspect Khabib made something that’s incredibly difficult look effortless. Assuming RDA can do the same is a big assumption.

Should’ve said who’s taken him down and controlled him. Look maybe Khabib opened the playbook and dudes will just start ragdolling Gaethje to the ground, but I suspect Khabib made something that’s incredibly difficult look effortless. Assuming RDA can do the same is a big assumption.
Tbh Gaethje hasn't really fought many grapplers. Other than Khabib the best grappler he faced in the UFC is Ferguson but Ferguson is not necessarily great at scoring takedowns in the open, his strength lies in being able to counter wrestle, scramble, and catch tricky subs from dynamic positions. So he didn't really have the grappling skillset to go for blast doubles on Gaethje.

RDA has that kind of grappling, maybe not to the level of Khabib but he does have solid offensive wrestling and great timing on his takedowns. He outgrappled Lee and dominated Magny on the mat.

Tbh Gaethje hasn't really fought many grapplers. Other than Khabib the best grappler he faced in the UFC is Ferguson but Ferguson is not necessarily great at scoring takedowns in the open, his strength lies in being able to counter wrestle, scramble, and catch tricky subs from dynamic positions. So he didn't really have the grappling skillset to go for blast doubles on Gaethje.

RDA has that kind of grappling, maybe not to the level of Khabib but he does have solid offensive wrestling and great timing on his takedowns. He outgrappled Lee and dominated Magny on the mat.
I’m confident in RDAs grappling, but I’m not confident in his takedowns and top control. I just think Khabib cutting through Gaethje like butter is giving people a false sense of how easy it’s gonna be. IMO Gaethje has enough movement and punching to discourage RDA from trying to many takedowns. It’s not so easy man.

I’m confident in RDAs grappling, but I’m not confident in his takedowns and top control. I just think Khabib cutting through Gaethje like butter is giving people a false sense of how easy it’s gonna be. IMO Gaethje has enough movement and punching to discourage RDA from trying to many takedowns. It’s not so easy man.
Oh I agree, I just think RDA could present a stiff test with his grappling. It won't be easy though, heck even Khabib didn't necessarily have an easy time. He made it look easy but he still took a few big leg kicks and got cracked hard coming in. Most men would lose a step after taking shots like those.

Gaethje can scramble but he got submitted as soon the fight hit the floor in the khabib fight. Khabib didn't even do that against Porier and Conor
Gaethje took a high risk, high reward approach to defensive grappling. Basically GTFO of there as fast as possible to avoid spending almost the entire round playing defensive grappling. Burst to get away and create distance for exchanges where you can finish the fight. Conor and Poirier didn't get subbed immediately but they got control and gassed out for large portions of the fight while Gaethje was rarely held down for extended stretch's of time.

However Khabib is not merely a wrestler, he's a true sambo player so he has these tricky subs to exploit that kind of strategy.

simple: If Gaethje works his TDD he takes this but if RDA takes him down he submits Gaethje in 2 rounds.

There was practically no grappling in that fight. Just evaded all takedown attempts with footwork. With RDA, you're practically guaranteed to be grappling at some point, if not on the mat, then in the clinch.

Good luck clinching with Gaethje. IMO, RDA will end up like he did vs. Eddie Alvarez if he does much of that.

Good luck clinching with Gaethje. IMO, RDA will end up like he did vs. Eddie Alvarez if he does much of that.

Maybe, but it looks like gaethje is sitting out for now, unfortunately.

Gaethje took a high risk, high reward approach to defensive grappling. Basically GTFO of there as fast as possible to avoid spending almost the entire round playing defensive grappling. Burst to get away and create distance for exchanges where you can finish the fight. Conor and Poirier didn't get subbed immediately but they got control and gassed out for large portions of the fight while Gaethje was rarely held down for extended stretch's of time.

However Khabib is not merely a wrestler, he's a true sambo player so he has these tricky subs to exploit that kind of strategy.
Exactly. And so far Gaethje's anti-wrestling approach (good TDD and bursting back to his feet--kind of like prime Chuck Liddell) has worked against everyone but Khabib, one of the best P4P grapplers in the history of MMA. People are assuming RDA, Chandler and even Kevin Lee can replicate what Khabib did, but that's a huge assumption. Khabib is an elite grappler with a very unique style and skillset. He's not like any D1 guy or BJJ guy with good wrestling that I've seen.

Maybe, but it looks like gaethje is sitting out for now, unfortunately.

Yeah, and I don't think he'll take a fight with RDA...too much risk for the reward. RDA has been at WW for years and only has one current win at LW. I think Gaethje would rather fight more of a pure striker or possibly the loser of Chandler/Oliveira or Conor/Poirier (whatever happens with that drama).

Back