Gaethje vs. RDA

i think RDA loses unfortunately, just too many miles on him at this point

Don't know but it's an excellent fight. 155 is an amazing division

Would be a great fight. Or, a grinder - 20 minutes of grinding on the cage. I'd pick Justin...unless RDA can clinch him for 20 minutes.

However, I expect Dana to play Justin for another 6-9 months in an attempt to get him to sign a new deal. So I doubt this or any other fight on the horizon happens. I hope I'm wrong.

Gaethje tkos him. Rda is a good fighter but he is not beating a young, top 5 lw. Last time he did was in 2015 against Cerrone and right after that he got chewed up by Eddie and Tony.

Also, why would Justin accept a high risk no reward fight against no7 RDA when he can wait a bit to fight for the title? Foolish move!

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt
It depends how shot RDA is. If he still has his chin I see him smothering Justin on the ground.

Gaethje tkos him. Rda is a good fighter but he is not beating a young, top 5 lw. Last time he did was in 2015 against Cerrone and right after that he got chewed up by Eddie and Tony.

Also, why would Justin accept a high risk no reward fight against no7 RDA when he can wait a bit to fight for the title? Foolish move!

Tony fight was a highly competitive 48-47 FOTN where Tony eyepoked him horribly early in the fight and had him seeing double. He was hardly "chewed" up in that one

Gaethje picks him apart on the feet and spends the fight avoiding increasingly desperate takedown attempts. If he spends too long fucking around on the ground he probably gets caught in something. RDA is well rounded and he can hold his own everywhere, but Gaethje is probably the superior striker and has solid wrestling to keep the fight where he excels.

Gaethje picks him apart on the feet and spends the fight avoiding increasingly desperate takedown attempts. If he spends too long fucking around on the ground he probably gets caught in something. RDA is well rounded and he can hold his own everywhere, but Gaethje is probably the superior striker and has solid wrestling to keep the fight where he excels.

If gaethje is stuffing takedown attempts, then he better finish RDA early because gaethje slows down a ton when he's forced to work and RDA has elite cardio.

If gaethje is stuffing takedown attempts, then he better finish RDA early because gaethje slows down a ton when he's forced to work and RDA has elite cardio.
That’s a good point that I hadn’t really considered. I think if it is a 3-round fight that won’t be a big problem. I picture him landing calf kicks that immobilize RDA and allow him to control the pace.
Honestly I’m really interested in this fight now. I can see a way both guys win

Fair enough but
  1. Gaethje is about the same age Tony was when he beat RDA. Outside Khabib (who makes everyone look bad), Gaethje has been looking like he's at his absolute best--especially his fight with Tony. And now RDA is much older and worn than he was vs. Tony. But he still has to make the same weight cut that drained him vs. Eddie Alvarez (he passed out shortly before the fight) and Tony.
  2. RDA himself was disappointed in his performance vs. Felder, who came out of retirement for the fight. I'm not saying he looked bad, but he didn't look super elite either.
  3. RDA did take Colby down, but again, that was a bigger RDA at 170. Nate and Pettis have some of the worst TDD and wrestling at LW. Both have good BJJ, but that's it. Gaethje is a former D1 wrestler and his TDD and ability to get back to his feet (again, outside Khabib who takes down and holds down everybody) look decisively better than Diaz or Pettis.

But that was against porier and Alvarez who don't have solid wrestling like RDA. Gaethje did the worse against khabib as far as ground skills

Last edited:
Tony fight was a highly competitive 48-47 FOTN where Tony eyepoked him horribly early in the fight and had him seeing double. He was hardly "chewed" up in that one
Tony beat him decisively. A 48-47 unanimous decision. Tony had a little bruise here and there but Rda’s face got battered.

upload_2021-4-12_18-33-55.jpeg

He is a very tough man but he won’t beat the top dogs at lw at almost 37 years old. That’s my take on it, if he proves me wrong I’ll be happy for him.

Who’s taken Justin down easily besides Khabib?
Both Dustin and Eddie did. To be fair Gaethje was probably wasn't expecting that from them and he did pop up immediately but doing so also seemed to tire him a bit.

But that was against porier and Alvarez who don't have solid wrestling like RDA. Gaethje did the worse against khabib as far as ground skills

Again, 36-year old RDA who admits he's drained when fights at LW isn't an elite wrestler like Khabib. There's no reason to think he can do the same thing to Gaethje, who has a legit D1 background. Khabib is a lifelong grappler/wrestler. RDA is a BJJ guy who's picked up pretty good wrestling in MMA.

Tony beat him decisively. A 48-47 unanimous decision. Tony had a little bruise here and there but Rda’s face got battered.

View attachment 847144

He is a very tough man but he won’t beat the top dogs at lw at almost 37 years old. That’s my take on it, if he proves me wrong I’ll be happy for him.

Why didn't RDA use his other-wordly wrestling skills I keep hearing about and hold Tony down for 5 rounds?

Old Gaethje, yes. But the Gaethje who fought Tony didn't show any signs of wear for 5 rounds. Admittedly, Tony (a D2 wrestler himself) only tried a few TDs after his leg was probably hurting. But Justin may very well slow down RDA with leg kicks as well. I'm not buying this idea that RDA is a super elite MT guy who will check every calf kick.

Why didn't RDA use his other-wordly wrestling skills I keep hearing about and hold Tony down for 5 rounds?
Lmao. Rda is sherdog’s dearest. His tdd is very good at lightweight and he can even take you down by surprise here and there. But he’s not the type of guy that will put you on your back, control you and gnp or sub your ass. Some fools here even suggest that he will grapplefuck Gaethje just because Khabib was able to do it. LMAO. Like he can do what Khabib does.....

Last edited:
Old Gaethje, yes. But the Gaethje who fought Tony didn't show any signs of wear for 5 rounds. Admittedly, Tony (a D2 wrestler himself) only tried a few TDs after his leg was probably hurting. But Justin may very well slow down RDA with leg kicks as well. I'm not buying this idea that RDA is a super elite MT guy who will check every calf kick.

There was practically no grappling in that fight. Just evaded all takedown attempts with footwork. With RDA, you're practically guaranteed to be grappling at some point, if not on the mat, then in the clinch.

Lmao. Rda is sherdog’s dearest. His tdd is very good at lightweight and he can even take you down by surprise here and there. But he’s not the type of guy that will put you on your back, control you and gnp or sub your ass. Some fools here even suggesting that he will grapplefuck Gaethje just because Khabib was able to do it. LMAO. Like he can do what Khabib does.

Work gaethje? Probably not, but make gaethje work and turn it into a battle of cardio? Very possible.

Back