Gaethje vs. RDA

I’m not saying it’s impossible for RDA to take Justin down, I’m only saying I don’t think he will. That’s all. It will go down on the feet, and Gaethje’s ace in the hole is Trevor Wittman.

Yeah i do think if it stays standing Gaethje can do it. All these perspectives is exactly why its such an obvious match to make! Let’s see it cuz i don’t really needa see hooker against either one of these guys rn

Who’s tds has Gaethje stopped at RDAs level? You think Whitman will just figure out a Cordero product just like that? I mean i’d give Gaethje a slight edge standing but RDA is definitely good enough to find grappling openings.

Eddie Alvarez and Poirier both took Justin down very briefly...but he was back up in literally a second or two. Luiz Firmino was a strong wrester/grappler whom Gaethje beat in WSOF. I don't see RDA as having elite wrestling, either. Watch his fight with Khabib to see the difference between them.

MJ, DP, Yaquinta, Barboza also did worlds better on the ground the Gaethje. Anyone who makes Foster look like Shields is terrible on the mat. It is what it is.
Don't try and move the goal post, just admit its a false equivalence and keep it movin'.

Yeah i do think if it stays standing Gaethje can do it. All these perspectives is exactly why its such an obvious match to make! Let’s see it cuz i don’t really needa see hooker against either one of these guys rn
Hooker shouldn’t be anywhere near the discussion, he’s lost 2 in a row. Give some of the lower ranked guys a crack at Hooker.

Hooker shouldn’t be anywhere near the discussion, he’s lost 2 in a row. Give some of the lower ranked guys a crack at Hooker.
So if RDA fights Gaethje, does that mean Hooker is stuck fighting Islam? It's either that, or Islam vs CDF, or Islam fighting down the rankings, or Islam sitting out.

So if RDA fights Gaethje, does that mean Hooker is stuck fighting Islam? It's either that, or Islam vs CDF, or Islam fighting down the rankings, or Islam sitting out.
Yes. Hooker, CDF, or the winner of Dariush/Ferguson are the only fights that make sense for Islam.

RDA takes this. I think we saw vs Khabib how lost Gaethje looks on his back. RDA is no joke on top with his BJJ and wrestling game. RDA takes it by submission.

RDA takes this. I think we saw vs Khabib how lost Gaethje looks on his back. RDA is no joke on top with his BJJ and wrestling game. RDA takes it by submission.
RDA won’t take him down. It’ll be on the feet.

I'd heavily favor Gaethje here. Yes Gaethje looked bad on the ground vs Khabib... but I think people are putting a lot more weight into that than they should. That was Khabib. RDA is not Khabib. Nobody is Khabib. Gaethje is still an elite striker with phenomenal hands, great footwork, and the best leg kicks in the game. And he is not at all easy to take down (even though Khabib made it look easy). RDA's best days are behind him and I think he would struggle with Gaethje's pressure and power.
Imo Gaethje looked good on the feet in that Khabib fight.

RDA better have chin / leg check/conditioning to endure powershot + calves kick.

Islam is probably the only LW who would be heavily favored to beat Gaethje.

Trevor Whitman can figure RDA out as far as striking is concerned. Obviously if it’s hits the ground Gaethje is fucked but RDAs takedowns aren’t at the level where I see the fight going to the ground. Gaethje by decision.

People thought RDA wouldn't be able to take Lawler down either. RDA is a live dog in this fight if it happens. RDA's iron chin, and his ability to mix things up and push a pace for five hard rounds in all aspects of the fight would make Justin gas or eventually tap in my opinion.

It's a tough stylistic matchup for Justin.

Last edited:
Eddie Alvarez and Poirier both took Justin down very briefly...but he was back up in literally a second or two. Luiz Firmino was a strong wrester/grappler whom Gaethje beat in WSOF. I don't see RDA as having elite wrestling, either. Watch his fight with Khabib to see the difference between them.

RDA has a stronger and more tenacious wrestling game than any mentioned. He just needs to wear him down for a bit and he’ll have to edge everywhere. AND you just mentioned two people who beat him..

Islam is probably the only LW who would be heavily favored to beat Gaethje.

This is why you get yellow cards. You just say flagrant shit and you’re not genuinely adding to the conversation.

RDA has a stronger and more tenacious wrestling game than any mentioned. He just needs to wear him down for a bit and he’ll have to edge everywhere. AND you just mentioned two people who beat him..

Wrestling had nothing to do with why either fighter beat him. At that point, Gaethje simply threw non-stop bombs and leg kicks and was gassed by the 3rd round. He's now a different fighter as we saw vs. Tony. And I'm not sure RDA's wrestling is better than those guys...especially at 36 and having to cut to 155.

Wrestling had nothing to do with why either fighter beat him. At that point, Gaethje simply threw non-stop bombs and leg kicks and was gassed by the 3rd round. He's now a different fighter as we saw vs. Tony. And I'm not sure RDA's wrestling is better than those guys...especially at 36 and having to cut to 155.

His loss to Tony is the only eyebrow raiser. He said he had the worst cut of his life plus tony was at his absolute best at the moment. He lost hard fought battles to the literal top three welterweights. I just don’t see the slowdown bro. He looked so solid against Felder. He’s never been chopped up on the feet the way Gaethje beats people. He’s got stellar muay thai and is a southpaw to boot. Ad in his ability to change levels and press the action i think he beats Gaethje smoother than both Eddie and Dustin did. Not sure how RDAs wrestling is so slept on. He got Colby down. He’s been a dominant wrestler since Nate and Pettis. Y’all forgetting.

His loss to Tony is the only eyebrow raiser. He said he had the worst cut of his life plus tony was at his absolute best at the moment. He lost hard fought battles to the literal top three welterweights. I just don’t see the slowdown bro. He looked so solid against Felder. He’s never been chopped up on the feet the way Gaethje beats people. He’s got stellar muay thai and is a southpaw to boot. Ad in his ability to change levels and press the action i think he beats Gaethje smoother than both Eddie and Dustin did. Not sure how RDAs wrestling is so slept on. He got Colby down. He’s been a dominant wrestler since Nate and Pettis. Y’all forgetting.
Fair enough but
  1. Gaethje is about the same age Tony was when he beat RDA. Outside Khabib (who makes everyone look bad), Gaethje has been looking like he's at his absolute best--especially his fight with Tony. And now RDA is much older and worn than he was vs. Tony. But he still has to make the same weight cut that drained him vs. Eddie Alvarez (he passed out shortly before the fight) and Tony.
  2. RDA himself was disappointed in his performance vs. Felder, who came out of retirement for the fight. I'm not saying he looked bad, but he didn't look super elite either.
  3. RDA did take Colby down, but again, that was a bigger RDA at 170. Nate and Pettis have some of the worst TDD and wrestling at LW. Both have good BJJ, but that's it. Gaethje is a former D1 wrestler and his TDD and ability to get back to his feet (again, outside Khabib who takes down and holds down everybody) look decisively better than Diaz or Pettis.

I'd heavily favor Gaethje here. Yes Gaethje looked bad on the ground vs Khabib... but I think people are putting a lot more weight into that than they should. That was Khabib. RDA is not Khabib. Nobody is Khabib. Gaethje is still an elite striker with phenomenal hands, great footwork, and the best leg kicks in the game. And he is not at all easy to take down (even though Khabib made it look easy). RDA's best days are behind him and I think he would struggle with Gaethje's pressure and power.

good to see not everyone here is an idiot who judges a fighter only on the their last fight

Back