Gaethje vs prime Penn

And rightfully so.

In his prime, BJ Penn beat welterweights Matt Hughes twice, almost won against the GOAT, GSP etc..

Gaethje was finished by Alvarez and Poirier. Who has he beat? Michael Johnson and James Vick? Lmao Vick also beat a bunch of nobodies.

As of now, Justin is 2-2 in the UFC.

Cmon son, there are levels to this game.

Stop comparing a legend.

brah its not really fair give all the credit in the world for BJ's wins while ignoring all his losses. BJ Penn is 16-12-2. Don't get me wrong, he has fought much much tougher competition and is a crazy fuck that always went after huge challenges. But he still lost 12 times. Justin is 19-2 and can only be put away by huge bombs, which isn't BJ's specialty. BJ has incredible speed, timing, jabs, counters, etc. But he wasnt a huge hitter. Its not unreasonable to envision Justin eating everything BJ throws for a few rounds and then drowning him.

Honestly i'm not sure what would happen. I think Gaethje could keep it stading for the most part. They both have iron chins and don't back down from a fight. I think they'd probably beat each other up pretty bad. BJ would get the better of the boxing I think but I think he would get put on the fence and might eat some punches there. BJ doesn't defend low kicks that well and I think Gaethje would kick the shit out of his legs. Bj doesn't like to be pressured and he's kind of a front runner. Once BJ gets beat up a little bit and losses a round, he usually loses the rest of the fight.

It's really hard to picture this fight for some reason. I think Gaethje would win a battle of attrition but BJ has a better chance of getting a knockdown/sub. If it goes to a decision I think it would be close but Justin would probably take over.

brah its not really fair give all the credit in the world for BJ's wins while ignoring all his losses. BJ Penn is 16-12-2. Don't get me wrong, he has fought much much tougher competition and is a crazy fuck that always went after huge challenges. But he still lost 12 times. Justin is 19-2 and can only be put away by huge bombs, which isn't BJ's specialty. BJ has incredible speed, timing, jabs, counters, etc. But he wasnt a huge hitter. Its not unreasonable to envision Justin eating everything BJ throws for a few rounds and then drowning him.
Who has he lost to at lw before his retirement? how is losing to Frankie and Jens bad? Look at who he beat and how, I believe that is more telling than him getting mauled by gsp, losing a competitive fight with Hughes, and drawing with Fitch and losing to Diaz. Again he has no bad loses at lw other than Edgar 2 before his retirement

~DaViD~

how is Gaethje unproven? he's fought a former LW champion, a guy who's on the cusp of a title shot, and a guy who is 10-1 in the UFC.

i'm not arguing Gaethje can beat BJ, but i don't think he's unproven, i think he's been thoroughly proven.
And went 1-2 against those guys with 2 KO losses? I'm not saying the guy is a bum but a quick win over James Vick (10-1 record against who exactly?) doesn't validate someone as a top guy. He's an exciting fighter who gets high card placement because of his popularity but he has not done anything so far in his career to suggest he could hang with Penn in his prime let alone the current crop of top 5 guys

Technically:

"Honestly BJ wouldn't make it to top 5 in the current stacked LW"

"but there's only a few guys I could see him beating in the top of the division right now."

are 2 different perspectives..lmao
By top of the division I'm referring to the top 10.

LOL

justin beats an overrated guy in Vick (and prior to that has been ko'd in his last few fights) and whose skills set amounts to letting guys tire themselves out from punching him.

And suddenly he is a world beater.

Shut your bitch ass up.

Either a Penn late TKO or decision win, can't see Gaethje beating him on the ground or KO'ing him or outlasting him

You know what

Bj would be undersized and out gunned. I think he had better boxing fundamentals but nowhere near the power necessary to put Gaethje out and Gaethje will fight all day.

It's a finish for Gaethje imo.

Different time. BJ should be compared with the featherweights of today, imo

And went 1-2 against those guys with 2 KO losses? I'm not saying the guy is a bum but a quick win over James Vick (10-1 record against who exactly?) doesn't validate someone as a top guy. He's an exciting fighter who gets high card placement because of his popularity but he has not done anything so far in his career to suggest he could hang with Penn in his prime let alone the current crop of top 5 guys

Sherdoggers love to never post the full story.

Yea hes 1-2 but he beat the absolute piss out of every single person he ever fought, and had Eddie and Dustin on the brink of getting finished. Just got caught with one too many huge shots, but the result could have easily went the other way if they fought again.

how is it obvious doh?
Penn fans are very dillusional......they think in his prime and when he was in shape, Penn could KO HWs.

Never mind that Penn has losses in his prime to Pulver and was getting worked by Serra in a close fight.

Penn mauls him.

Justin's best chance would be his leg kicks. Hes got very good leg kicks and that is one of Penn's weakness.

But i stil think Penn woul maul him.

Sherdoggers love to never post the full story.

Yea hes 1-2 but he beat the absolute piss out of every single person he ever fought, and had Eddie and Dustin on the brink of getting finished. Just got caught with one too many huge shots, but the result could have easily went the other way if they fought again.
"Just got caught" whatever makes you feel better pal. Glad your troll thread got you some attention

"Just got caught" whatever makes you feel better pal. Glad your troll thread got you some attention
He still lost. All I meant by that is those fights werent blow outs. They were competitive and Justin could easily beat them in a rematch. So while his UFC record isnt great at the moment, you cant say he has been exposed or whatever.

that's proven. unproven means we don't know where he stands in the upper echelon of the weight class.

we definitely where he stands in the top 10, he's easily somewhere between #5 and #10.

unproven guys only beat cans, like Michael Venom Page.

I loved watching Penn fight but he would get murdered by Gaethje. Penn had really bad cardio whereas Gaethje has a pretty good cardio.

Prime BJ...
Iron chin
Better everywhere

Gaejthe only wins backflips off cage.

"Better everywhere"

Justin:
Bigger
Better wrestling
Handles adversity muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh better
Better legkicks
Arguably better cardio/pace

Well it's not like Penn hasn't beaten and competed against great wrestlers in his Prime....

5.gif

giphy.gif

img_2048.jpg

5C856D57-A056-4193-8D51-C8E8A0B33920.gif

Bj taps this kid..

Back