Gaethje vs prime Penn

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I know a significant amount of you will immediately roast me and nuthugg BJ.

But........Justin has legit wrestling skills, he just never uses them because he loves to bang. BJ obviously has the cleaner boxing, but Justin has a superhuman chin+willpower and BJ is not a power hitter. Justin also has devastating leg kicks.

Who would you pick in this bloody, violent, battle of wills?

like this
sport-graphics-2008_697965a.jpg

Prime Penn might be the best evah, so I have to go with Penn. The reason being that there never really was a Prime Penn...because the dude was lazy an beat people with sheer talent & rage.

BJ, obviously

Gaethje could drag Penn into deep waters and drown him... but he'd probably end up getting his ass beat for 5 rounds like Diego Sanchez

But........Justin has legit wrestling skills, he just never uses them because he loves to bang. BJ obviously has the cleaner boxing, but Justin has a superhuman chin+willpower and BJ is not a power hitter. Justin also has devastating leg kicks.

Prime Penn was a tough SOB....cardio was most always an issue tho.

Prime Penn might be the best evah, so I have to go with Penn. The reason being that there never really was a Prime Penn...because the dude was lazy an beat people with sheer talent & rage.
Best evah? Penn? You must be Hawaiian....

Penn was a crazy mofo that just loved to scrap

But I'll go with Justin via 4th round stoppage after Penn gasses.

Last edited:

Never considered this fight before. I think it's safe to say it's one of the all time best hypotheticals tho. The Just Bleed God approves of your post (he told me so). I thought about picking Gaethje but I think Penn's BJJ would be the difference maker. Even if Justin decided to take it to the ground instead of bang it out, BJ is dangerous off his back. I think it would a closer fight than many may think.

Honestly BJ wouldn't make it to top 5 in the current stacked LW division. However I feel he could match up favorably against Gaethje so I would lean towards Penn.

Who the hell has Gaethje beat to make you think he'd last against Penn? Make your arguments for one of the top guys against Penn maybe but Gaethje is still completely unproven against top competition despite his gaudy record IMHO. Also, lol @ saying Penn was not a power hitter. Stopping Sean Sherk > anything Gaethje will ever do in his career combined

Who the hell has Gaethje beat to make you think he'd last against Penn? Make your arguments for one of the top guys against Penn maybe but Gaethje is still completely unproven against top competition despite his gaudy record IMHO. Also, lol @ saying Penn was not a power hitter. Stopping Sean Sherk > anything Gaethje will ever do in his career combined
my mans, stopping sherk does not mean BJ has freak knock out power. Let me ask you a serious question, who do you think hits harder, BJ or Michael Johnson?

LOL

justin beats an overrated guy in Vick (and prior to that has been ko'd in his last few fights) and whose skills set amounts to letting guys tire themselves out from punching him.

And suddenly he is a world beater.

Lol

Would look exactly like BJ vs Diego, except Homer wouldn't make it to the 5th. He'd get beaten down and murked inside 3.

I'd pick BJ to land on him and be able to take any shots he lands but I spose you could argue if this doesn't happen in the first 10 mins(not automatically a finish but beating a lot of the fight out of him) then Justin might tire BJ and win a decision.

LOL

justin beats an overrated guy in Vick (and prior to that has been ko'd in his last few fights) and whose skills set amounts to letting guys tire themselves out from punching him.

And suddenly he is a world beater.
literally who said any of what you just said?

stop the hyperbole, virgin

theres a difference between being a wold beater, and being able to beat BJ Penn

Honestly BJ wouldn't make it to top 5 in the current stacked LW division. However I feel he could match up favorably against Gaethje so I would lean towards Penn.

"Honestly BJ wouldn't make it to top 5 in the current stacked LW"

loloool.png

Back