Gaethje is not a bad match up for mcgregor

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Bangkok ready d1, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bangkok ready d1 Brown Belt

He will not try to take him down and its gonna be striking battle, gaethje has ko power but so does mcgregor, conor is the better striker with better defence, of course justin can win but it does not look good on paper to me.

2. 20falarVerdades Silver Belt

Somewhat good breakdown

3. OneManOrgy Banned Banned

We know Gaethje, he says it himself obviously, he wants to give the fans a fight worth remembering. Blocking punches with his face against Conor will not go well for him. Like I said, not trying to use MMA math here but Conor smoked Alvarez and and Poirier. If they can crack his chin, rock him early, Conor has the ability to put Gaethje out, I'd put my money on Conor.

4. Grappler Blue Belt

Gaethje is tailor made to get sniped by the patented left straight.

5. TheJohnnyWalkerEra Black Belt

He has almost no chance against Conor

6. Beylerbey Banned Banned

Gaethje will take Conor's soul.

7. Cylence Flying Arlovski Belt

Yup. Conor could KO him. Very possible.

It's also possible that he doesn't, and Gaethje drowns him late in the fight.

8. MescalineDreams Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

This is sherdog bro

Anyone in the top 10 beats Conor

No reasoning required

9. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

I wouldn't be shocked if Gaethje got sparked out. Not one iota. However, if he's smart and doesn't just trade with Conor, he's got cardio Conor could never dream of, leg kicks out the ass and a wrestling pedigree he never uses. If he actually wrestles, cliches and works kicks, he could put a beatdown on Conor. I would like to find out.

10. Utahraptor Ostrommaysi Banned Banned

Well said, people are acting like Gaethje is some kind of nightmare match up for Conor, but in reality Conor is a bad match up for Gaethje stylistically speaking. That's not to say that Gaethje can't beat Conor, but Conor does have a higher chance of beating Gaethje than Gaethje has a chance of beating Conor.
    Masvidal, Usman, Tony, and a Khabib rematch are the real nightmare match ups for Conor. Gaethje, a Dustin Poirier rematch, and a trilogy fight with Nate Diaz are Conor's easiest possible fights at the moment

11. nostradumbass Steel Belt

He's not a bad matchup, but he's better than Cerrone, will fight back, and Conor should have to beat him and not just skip over him to have a claim for another title shot.

12. yookfarb Red Belt

I tend to agree Conor would probably spark him out but he deserves his chance to fight for what is rightfully is...

13. honzo Black Belt

I'd say 60/40 Conor's way.

14. HP_Nut Brown Belt

Anyone that isn't a wrestler, is not a bad style matchup for Conor. Conor has a reasonable chance of beating anyone at 155, if they don't go for takedowns. A strong wrestler that can get Conor down, is a bad matchup for him stylistically. I think Conor has a reasonable chance of beating Masvidal & Justin. I think Usman & Khabib are bad matchups for Conor

15. McBlaze Purple Belt

gaethje is chinny, has the shittiest striking defense i have ever laid my eyes on ... and would get absolutely fucking murked by Conor. the fucking end

16. MirRocksFedor Brown Belt

I agree but wonder where you get that from?

I find myself thinking JG is a great fighter who could hurt Conor. But I can't place why.

They have very recent common opponents and MMA math be damned Conor looked better against them all. A lot better.

So I guess we go with. JG could sleep Conor. I dunno. But I want to see it

17. Normot Brown Belt

This is sherdog. Only half the people think that. The other half thinks he KOs everyone below 205.

18. MescalineDreams Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Only people who actually believe that shit are trolling to get people to react bro

And the bait clearly works every time. Haters take their pitchforks out at a moments notice

19. Asako Blue Belt

Conor is quicker, hits hard and is more explosive. I got Conor winning this fight at 170....

20. Cat Biscuits Black Belt

Conor does have the ability to TKO Gaethje, but at least Gaethje will put up a better fight than ZERO punches landed Cowboy.

At least this fight would be closer to a 50/50 fight that Conor does have some risk in losing. It's a step up from him having a less than 1% chance of losing to Cowboy.