fundamental basics in jujitsu that everyone should know?

T

threnody

i've recently started training in BJJ but my instructor sort of threw us right into the game and started learning positions, passes, and submissions. all is going well, but i feel like there's some techniques and general good rules of thumb that we never learned. this assistant instructor there is really helpful when going around checking if we're nailing a move or not, and that's when i get more specific and detailed advice, but i don't see him very often.

for instance, today was one of my second times rolling during class (not open mat) and one of the assistant guys asked me to match with him for a bit so he could see how i was coming along. afterwards he basically told me one of the most important things to keep in mind is "elbows follow the knees" - and that while it's an easy concept to think about, it makes a world of difference.

that little bit of advice is what i'm taking about - basic things like this that our head guy hasn't really talked to me about. i'd like to get as much of these little helpful tips early so that i can start improving quicker.

so can anyone share some other rules of thumb or great tips (not specific to getting a particular submission or something, just in general)

Hmm...pretty good question if I read you correctly.
I'd say...
Never keep your back flat on the floor...always try to stay on your side, or sweep, or escape.
Save your energy...don't tire yourself out unnecessarily...technique > force.
Find your base and work hard to keep it. Keeping mount, sweeping, preventing getting swept, etc. are all based on this. This one is a quality that I think takes YEARS to master.
Position before submission (we all know that one).
The "basics/fundamentals" are HUGE. Work on mastering those and forget about flying triangles, etc.

Any more from the more experienced BJJ'ers out there?

When you are in the guard, both arms in or both arms out never just one.

Elbows close to the body, keep good posture.

Underhooks are cool! Try to get them as often as practical, and try to prevent your opponent from getting them. I didn't learn that until about four months into it...

P.S. What does "elbows follow the knees" mean?

Always keep your base to defend, and always disrupt your opponent's base to attack.

Meaning when you are in trouble, secure your base as quick as possible. To attack, disrupt your opponent's base and THEN attack.

Base is the foundation for everything, the attacks and moves are all premised on it.

If you used to wrestle you will learn quickly.

Headlocks are usually pointless.

Frodo said:
Underhooks are cool! Try to get them as often as practical, and try to prevent your opponent from getting them. I didn't learn that until about four months into it...

P.S. What does "elbows follow the knees" mean?

well its hard (for me) to describe because i don't want to come across as incorrect, but its really simplistic. just like, if you're defending your side by lifting one knee up, follow that by pulling your elbow down and by your knee, or if you're advancing in a guard..move with the knee and follow with the elbow, etc.

any time someones guard opens up get a knee up... its like a big shield...

Nice info guys. Hm.. I think I get what you mean by the elbows follow knees. I dunno about your background 'nody but I had no previous MA or grappling background, so it was great & still 6 months down the line, clicking to something new.

As frodo mentioned, I never really understood the importance of underhooks.

This isn't anything to unclear, but I'll share either way.. DONT PANIC. Don't force a sub or force an escape, rather i feel you should take advantage of openings as oppose to making them. Hmm... I remember hearing a quote 'don't go with the flow, flow with the go', by Rickson, perhaps this is what I mean.

repititions and more and more, the more you do them, the more you will remember the technique
pay attention to the details
not all techniques are good for each body size and flexibility level
tap to prevent injuries, pride is foolish on the mats
if you have ring worm , dont give it to everyone else
cardio is important, gassing out sucks
clean, non smelling gis are a training partners best friend
clip your nails, take out the ear rings
dont give someone side control, start the escape before they get there
be a good training partner, let your partner work the technique, dont be a bully
farts happen , just try to minimize them when you have someone in the triangle

guardpasser said:
repititions and more and more, the more you do them, the more you will
cardio is important, gassing out sucks

yeah i have to work on this. i'm a bit of a hardcore lifter and jujitsu has made me want to throw up and pass out, whereas even the hardest leg workout never did! i can also run for quite a while without gassing, but somehow rolling seems to get the best of me. ill have to just keep at it.

farts happen , just try to minimize them when you have someone in the triangle

heh. today i went to an earlier class but ate beforehand and reallllly should have hit the bathroom beforehand. all the knees in the belly didn't help either. i thought my waistline was going to explode.

sorry for being graphic. :wink:

I ripped a big one during class like a week ago :redface:

Anyway, base is huge. Gotta have a good base. Don't get frustrated. Keep your arms in tight.

Wall sits and burpees help with cardio. So does running and drilling by yourself. i.e. On your own do 2 minute drills of shrimps, reverse schrimps, hip extensions, rolls (yes, rolling around), Granby rolls, situps, pushups, etc...

knoxpk said:
When you are in the guard, both arms in or both arms out never just one.

Elbows close to the body, keep good posture.

Good advice. If one arm slips out it'll get taken and something unspeakable will be done to it. Keep your elbows in and into the you opponents thighs. That's a general rule.

If you've got someone in your guard, I like this general rule:
Push bigger opponents away with your feet on their hips and stomach.
Pull smaller opponents into you.

When turtling grab property, that is, control at least one of their arms.

This is a noob ?uestion...but what is ring worm and what does it look like?

Go here: http://www.grapplearts.com/Ringworm-Treatment-for-Grapplers.htm

Every time I've gotten it, it's started by locking like a small bruise, but then it gets larger, itches a little and the middle gets lighter, making the "ring". The skin gets scaley and the hairs fall out of the center. I've never had it get bigger than the size of a nickel. Lamasil has cured it quickly for me every time.

All good suggestions so far.

Another one that I didint see mentioned is just like in boxing always keep you chin tucked...make it a habit to protect your neck.

TJS said:
All good suggestions so far.

Another one that I didint see mentioned is just like in boxing always keep you chin tucked...make it a habit to protect your neck.

Good one!
Damn it's easy to overlook some of this stuff once it's "ingrained."

SuperCubsFan said:
If you used to wrestle you will learn quickly.

Headlocks are usually pointless.
just keep his elbow off the mat and headlock (scarf is what i think you're referring to) is fine for intents an purposes. then again, there are only a few moves from there other than the hold itself being a discomfort if done well.

Base, Posture, and Grip in every position. If you make it a point to pick these up and do them correctly, all of the other techniques will come easier, at least IMO.

Back