fundamental basics in jujitsu that everyone should know?

Using your body, hips, and legs more then your upper body. This is something I found very difficult to get used to. Once I did however, I noticed a dramatic improvement in my game.

Also, knowing when to create space, and when to take away space is also a very useful tool. One that I need to get better at, as I sometimes leave to much space between my opponent and myself.

As a general rule:

You want to create space when in an inferior position.

You want to take away space when in a dominant position.

For example, when under side control, you escape your hips to have room to return to guard. When you have side control, you stay close to them so they can't get space to escape.

Use explosive movements and not straining movements, ie you're working to get an opponents arm from his stomach to his back (kimura maybe), dont muscle it back there, just use one explosive movement when the opponent is caught unawares.,

Like Bas said: when in a bad spot, just bridge as hard as you can

DMcKayBJJ said:
Position before submission
That is the best there is for beginners. Along with dont be a SPAZ.
Someone sticky this.

Zankou said:
Always keep your base to defend, and always disrupt your opponent's base to attack.

Meaning when you are in trouble, secure your base as quick as possible. To attack, disrupt your opponent's base and THEN attack.

Base is the foundation for everything, the attacks and moves are all premised on it.

great advice.

create distance for defense, close distance for offense. Basically when you are being defensive, try to make space (for sweeps etc.) When being offensive try to eliminate space by being tight. (ie triangle)

also, resist the temptation to straighten the arms and push people away as a first resort for escape, you get armbarred like that.

as a fellow student told me - In jiu jitsu, a straight arm is a broken one.

also to quote MArc Laimon - underhooks win fights

protect your neck - (frank trigg ehehem)

Back