Full camp Chad Mendes could have beat Conor

Lol Conor had 7 days to prepare for an entirely different opponent with and entirely different skill set. Like he wouldn't have done his camp differently if he knew he would be fighting a guy like Mendes... That fight was a sloppy mess and means nothing. Remember when "full camp Diaz" wouldn't be touched? Yeah we saw how that went.

God people on this site are so fucking clueless about the training aspect of MMA. It's laughable.
No offense but they literally used to brag about how they dont train for a specific opponent.

No offense but they literally used to brag about how they dont train for a specific opponent.
Just mind games, of course they prepare. Its no coincidence that the only 2 difficult fights where Conor struggled was against short notice opponents.

Yea the cardio shit was bullshit. Chad was on a hunting trip prior to the fight, anybody who hunts knows that takes some serious cardio. Lugging gear and a gun up and down rugged terrain is a bitch.

I guess his no camp erased his ncaa all american experience too. Went 40% td on a irish guy with no prior wrestling experience.

Maybe the hunting trip drained him. Bottom line, short camp is not optimal.

He was outstriking Conor, ragdolling him, controlling him on the ground and landing heavy elbows.

Literally the only reason he lost was because of conditioning.

ufc189_11_mcgregor_vs_mendes_011.jpg

He lost cause he ate a combo and went to bed

I believe so too...Chad was ragdolling Conor and even landing some good shots on the feet before the gassing

Just rewatched the fight... If Chad Mendes had been in shape, and had a proper camp, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have submitted or decisioned Conor.

Besides Diaz, Chad was really the only fighter to make McGregor seem beatable. Whats interesting is that Chad is a wrestler, and was able to connect very strong shots on McGregor on the ground, and a very nasty cut via elbow.

Chad also attempted a few submissions, and its clear to me on the final seconds of the fight, he emptied the tank on a final guillotine attempt, knowing that he didnt have any gas left. McGregor was able to scramble, and as soon as they got up, Chad knew he was done.

After the ko you can see Conors reaction, sorta still shocked and surprised of the final outcome, he has very little gas left and can barely celebrate the victory, you can clearly see he wasnt too comfortable with how things were going.

This has really been an eye opener for me, Khabib is much bigger and stronger than mendes, though he doesnt have a great single leg. His ground control and GnP are a lot better than mendes', and his cardio will surely be way better than 2 week Chad.

Conor will also go through that conditioning dip after round 2, and Conors chances of finishing Khabib after round 2 diminish considerably. IMO if Khabib doesnt end up KOd in round 1 or 2, Khabib will humiliate Conor. We could well be in for another episode of El Tapo.

What about full USADA mendes?

Uninjured Conor could have finished him in the first round.

It's no use to linger on what could have been, bud.
Don't read too much into that fight.

Chad had a short camp and Conor had an injury.
Don’t forget Chad had an injury as well.
Check out the Notorious documentary on Netflix. Conor severely fucked up his knee before this fight. Could barely train the last few weeks. Looked intense. I’d say it is about equal for them as competitors. Started before Aldo pulled out.
McGregor had a seriouse injury going into that fight camp.
Chad had a full camp. Uninjured McGregor would've KO'd him in 12 seconds.
Both fighters were badly compromised and it showed.
Full camp Mendes gets handled the same.
Conor was also injured
if he coyldnt beat an injured camp one
Mendes wasn’t in bad shape
couldn't beat up a injured-knee Conor
conor would be healed up
Conor also had a blown ACL
If you can't beat a guy when his knee is out you're need going to beat him healthy.
Conor had a messed up knee
Didn't see mention to the fact Chad Mendes had a serious foot injury to the point where he was limping on the countdown. Something people seem to forget.
I'm not taking a stance on how the fight could've turned out differently, but just a FYI: Mendes was injured going into that fight.

yxaLJB.gif

And the earliest account I can find for Mendes being put on standby was June 24th of that year (which amounts to essentially 18 days to make weight and nothing else). If anyone can source an interview that confirms he indeed had a full camp, please link ;).

Conor was clearly injured going into the fight.

Do you idiots think that fighters who never pull of out of fights, like McGregor, Sonnen, Liddell, etc. have some magic formula for never getting hurt? No. They just fight banged up and injured on occasion. When other fighters would pull out, they show up. And with that come poor performances where they simply don’t look like themselves. You wouldn’t see this from Khabib because he’s always pulling the fuck out of fights.

Conor certainly never fought same Mendes that fought Aldo.

Besides looking like MiniReem, he had cardio for days.

Prior to 2nd Aldo fight:
2mmy7ia.jpg

Just rewatched the fight... If Chad Mendes had been in shape, and had a proper camp, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have submitted or decisioned Conor.

Besides Diaz, Chad was really the only fighter to make McGregor seem beatable. Whats interesting is that Chad is a wrestler, and was able to connect very strong shots on McGregor on the ground, and a very nasty cut via elbow.

Chad also attempted a few submissions, and its clear to me on the final seconds of the fight, he emptied the tank on a final guillotine attempt, knowing that he didnt have any gas left. McGregor was able to scramble, and as soon as they got up, Chad knew he was done.

After the ko you can see Conors reaction, sorta still shocked and surprised of the final outcome, he has very little gas left and can barely celebrate the victory, you can clearly see he wasnt too comfortable with how things were going.

This has really been an eye opener for me, Khabib is much bigger and stronger than mendes, though he doesnt have a great single leg. His ground control and GnP are a lot better than mendes', and his cardio will surely be way better than 2 week Chad.

Conor will also go through that conditioning dip after round 2, and Conors chances of finishing Khabib after round 2 diminish considerably. IMO if Khabib doesnt end up KOd in round 1 or 2, Khabib will humiliate Conor. We could well be in for another episode of El Tapo.
That's all great ... but nothing changes the fact that rounds 1 & 2 are all that Conor needs.
Hope it doesn't happen, but you can't really count Conor out.

Conor certainly never fought same Mendes that fought Aldo.

Besides looking like MiniReem, he had cardio for days.

Prior to 2nd Aldo fight:
2mmy7ia.jpg
That psoriasis cream is awesome

Got knocked out inside of two rounds but he easily would have won the fight. Sure OK whatever.

coulda woulda shoulda, got smashed and finished in the 2nd

Conor didn't really do anything until the end of the fight.

I give him respect for being a warrior in that fight though. He was pretty savage.

This moment made me lol irl

images

If that is your analysis of the fight you simply did not watch it. Outside of one punch that Chad landed he was completely getting dominated on the feet. He lost every exchange on the feet except for one. He took damage to the body which made it easy for him to be finished later in the fight. CONOR was kicking to the body and punching to the body from the opening round. It does not take too many of those to empty the tank. The man hits extremely hard.

Last edited:

This has really been an eye opener for me, Khabib is much bigger and stronger than mendes, though he doesnt have a great single leg. His ground control and GnP are a lot better than mendes', and his cardio will surely be way better thac2 week Chad.

you could say the same about Conor

he had an acl injury and fought a wrestler on 2 weeks notice while prepping for a striker

Conor was clearly injured going into the fight.

Do you idiots think that fighters who never pull of out of fights, like McGregor, Sonnen, Liddell, etc. have some magic formula for never getting hurt? No. They just fight banged up and injured on occasion. When other fighters would pull out, they show up. And with that come poor performances where they simply don’t look like themselves. You wouldn’t see this from Khabib because he’s always pulling the fuck out of fights.

Mendes had a broken foot going into the fight. The Conor dick riding hordes seem to ignore this.

Last edited:
I think so too but it's in the past now and you're just gonna recieve backlash from his unreasonable fans.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe a full camp Conor and full camp Mendes would have the same result. Conor was notably hindered and wasn’t able to wre...wait why the fuck are we talking about this again? Holy shit

I can actually see full camp chad beating conor, with the right game plan

Got knocked out inside of two rounds but he easily would have won the fight. Sure OK whatever.

When did TS say he would easily win that fight? Chad could win a rematch with Conor. We will never know since Conor is never fighting a FW again.

Giving up and getting choked out inside of 2 rounds didn’t preclude Conor from winning the rematch vs Nate, did it? The Conor dick rider hypocrisy is always off the charts.

Back