full ab wheel roll out

killer_kicks88

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
this is sick, i finally did a full ab wheel roll out...and felt that i could do a few more, it felt great, and then yesterday i did 1 set of 3 reps and today i am actually sore, i haven't been sore in ages in my abs...you guys should work up to one

I have no experience doing rollouts with my feet on the wheel, however, seeing as how regular rollouts are so effective and doing them with your feet on the weel requires you buy somebody's product, I'm going to put this one in the unneccessary category. It's more cost effective to do them with a normal ab wheel. If you have some money to blow, fine, get the foot wheel thingy.

Ya, ab rollouts rock! My core feels (and looks) so much stronger since I've started doing regular saxon side bends, situps with added weight, and rollouts.

Is there any big difference in using the ab rollout thing you can buy at sporting goods stores versus using the barbell with loosened weights at each end?

initialdproject said:
ok, does it matter if you do it that way or like this guys says:

http://www.mikemahler.com/store/products/ultimate_ab_wheel.htm

thanks.

For some reason the gal who runs my gym brought in a pair of these. I admit to being a gadget whore, so I had to try them for a few sessions. The power wheel exercises is what showed that my hamstrings really needed some work (I did all the Intermediate with little problems, but one of the beginner's exercises kicked my ass. Interesting to see if I've gotten them strong enough yet to do that). The strapping the wheel to your feet and walking on your hands is interesting. Its like what would happen if you started hand walking while doing pushups, just go for a little stroll.

It's a decent toy, and if you have an extra fifty just burning a hole in your pocket then go for it, but otherwise it's a bit too pricey for the benefit.

I've got a high school buddy who's a physical therapist now. He says those things are insanely bad for your back. Sorry, he didn't elaborate too much, but he said the ab wheel has given him a few clients.

and in the guy pictured above on the t mag article...i would suggest not flatening you back so much, keep SLIGHTLY bent so not to hurt your back

here is a video by ross that shows it as well.

http://www.warriorforce.com/lowtechhigheffect.wmv

he does it a little bit different then mike mahler

you have to fast foward to about 1:40 though because it shows his whole training routine, which is also nice to watch

any idea which way is more effective? not cost efficient....not that I am gonna run out and by an ab wheel to put on my feet.

this is one of the rare exercises where I reccomend trying to keep your back rounded. Straightening or arching your back can really hurt your lower back I think.

Hip-flexor strength is very important with these things as well are all of the muscles that allow for stability at the core. If they're strong enough, your back won't be put in much danger. This is an exercise that mandats almost a gymnast's type of strength paired with elasticity.

in all seriousness, i usually do about 3 sets of between 15-30 reps of fully extended "roll outs" at a slow pace with good form about 3 times a week. Perfect this exercise and you will no longer need to do any other upper body lifting.

S.D.Force said:
in all seriousness, i usually do about 3 sets of between 15-30 reps of fully extended "roll outs" at a slow pace with good form about 3 times a week. Perfect this exercise and you will no longer need to do any other upper body lifting.

holy shit! whats your body weight? thats insane. Im still working to get a single standing rollout.

ya that is freakin crazy...are you bullshitting or do you weigh 80lbs.?

hehehe I can lower myself down and hold myself stretched right out but I can't make it back up yet.

I weight 245. These thing fucking own for developing abdominal power. My abs hurt like a fucking bitch after every session. Only do it once a week and other light ab work twice a week.

A buddy told me, that someone robbed the Ab-wheel af reind of mien made after my instructions from our weightroom. Hwen i will be back i will have to ask my freind to make a new one :(

killer_kicks88 said:
this is sick, i finally did a full ab wheel roll out...and felt that i could do a few more, it felt great, and then yesterday i did 1 set of 3 reps and today i am actually sore, i haven't been sore in ages in my abs...you guys should work up to one
Nice one, I'm still building up to doing them from my feet.

these are KILLER for core really work the hip flexor good, also upper body and whole torso i do 10-12 reps, 5 sets and every rep have to grunt out loud or whatever you wanna call it, my girlfriend laughs every time i do and it usually gets me laughing making it that much harder anyway the ab wheel is a great investment and almost anyone can afford one

Just be careful with these, what happens if you lack enough core power (or via muscle exhaustion) to pull back out of a fully extended rollout, the much weaker muscles of your lower back can be recruited quite suddenly. If that happens, you stand a chance of pulling a muscle or worse.

If there is any doubt, don't fully rollout!

Back