Fruit Juice Consumption Increases Risk Of Diabetes

aside from potentially increasing risk of diabetes, is there anything wrong with having a couple servings a day of 100% orange juice not from concentrate? like tropicana for example.

Understood. However, it is probably excessive glucose intake in the first place that causes diabetes. And if a certain food is prohibited because of a specific illness, it is probably a good idea to pay close attention and monitor the amounts of that food before even developing that illness in the first place, correct?

Can't argue that at all. There's no question that vegetables, on the whole, have a lower glycemic load and index than fruits, and eating fruit by itself can potentially cause the same spike in insulin, if not more, than a candy bar.

I still find it highly interesting that whole fruit decreased the risk.

crap

i love oj

Double crap! I wish I found this forum when I was like 15. I used to drink like 5 bloody glasses a day when I was younger (eg over squaash or anything else) just because I figured it was healhier. :(

Cheers for the article.

My wife's a vegan diabetic :- ) That being said, all signs of her diabetes is non-existent now. She hasn't had a diabetic seizure in two years.

On another note, if you're going to drink juice, definitely drink the kind without added sugar and without high-fructose corn syrup. That shit is just disgusting. The only juice we drink in our house is LOTS OF PULP OJ. The pulp is the best part anyway.

Good article.

aside from potentially increasing risk of diabetes, is there anything wrong with having a couple servings a day of 100% orange juice not from concentrate? like tropicana for example.

No don't worry about it. Some people will get scared by this but at the end of the day anything like this in moderation is not gonna harm you...

The pulp might lower the GI a bit, and different juices will have differing amounts of natural sugar at similar volumes.

What I find interesting is that whole fruit consumption lowered the risk.

EDIT: If you're going to drink straight juice, the only time I'd see feasible would be in a PWO shake.

Agreed with the bold. Other wise, H20, Green Tea and, of course, coffee.

Even though just about everyone here knows this already Mike, I still like the fact you post this stuff. That way I can forward it to people who fucking argue that 4-5 glasses of orange juice is just as good as 4-5 servings of green veggies etc.

Seriously, that's the type of stuff I hear on a regular basis.

Even though just about everyone here knows this already Mike, I still like the fact you post this stuff. That way I can forward it to people who fucking argue that 4-5 glasses of orange juice is just as good as 4-5 servings of green veggies etc.

Seriously, that's the type of stuff I hear on a regular basis.

That's nothing. One guy I work with is early 40s, maybe 5'9 300+ lbs, morbidly obese, trouble carrying his own weight around. I have never seen him eat solid food; he subsists solely on Pepsi/Mountain Dew (not diet), oranges (2-3 a day), and candy bars (Snickers mostly). I don't like to bring up to people what messes they are, because I don't think it's any of my business, but he tells me how he's into being healthy. He also drinks green tea and sits in a sauna for the antioxidants and whatnot. He admits that he does need to drop a few pounds. I tell him to cut the pop or go to diet, but he says he's incapable. Instead, he eats a lot of fruit with the belief that it will help him shed weight. I have tried to enlighten him respectfully, but he ignores anything I say and thinks I'm "skinny" because I'm young. So when his slimy fucking walrus-looking ass gets diabetes I can't say I didn't try.

I knew this and I'm sure most people here knew this. It is nice to see even obvious studies done, though. Most people think fruit = good, juice = from fruit, so fruit juice = good. In reality, most fruit juice is equal to or sometimes worse than soda.

Now, the fruit juice would spike insulin levels due to how quickly it is absorbed. Now, Naked Juice has 14 grams of fibre, will this insure that the sugar is slowly digested and that it will not spike insulin?

A few people have mentioned that 'any food with sugar content seemed like it would increase risk...'

But one of the things that I noticed(and Mike mentioned...) is that a REAL fruit that's not processed DECREASES the risk of diabetes.

So normal produce fruit LOWERS the risk level, drinking juice instead INCREASES the risk level.

Do you really think that eating fruit lowers the risk of diabetes, or do you think that people that are eating a lot of fruit is probably going to have an all around healthier diet that cuts down the chances of diabetes. I am sure that through this same study you could find other things that is correlated with an increase in diabetes that actually has nothing to do with diabetes. In my mind, this study doesn't prove a thing.

These long term survey studies can be very misleading.

Increased sugar intake increases risk of diabetes. It doesn't matter what the source of sugar. That's inarguable. And when most people count out the amount of sugar they intake per year by weight, including every gram that's in every food, the results can be quite alarming.

My grandmother is a diabetic and cannot eat fruit because it causes her blood sugar to skyrocket. How would something that has sugar in it give someone steady blood sugar levels? Non-starchy vegetables grown above the ground are far superior than fruit is for controlling blood sugar because of the much smaller insulin spike.

Maybe the fruit they used was peppers and cucumbers and squash and tomatoes.

Can't argue that at all. There's no question that vegetables, on the whole, have a lower glycemic load and index than fruits, and eating fruit by itself can potentially cause the same spike in insulin, if not more, than a candy bar.

I still find it highly interesting that whole fruit decreased the risk.

Could it be more about what the whole fruit replaced, rather than the whole fruit itself? I think a lot of people would see a decrease in diabetes risk if they replaced their normal snacks with fruit. (Forgive me if I'm off, I didn't read the whole study.)

Could it be more about what the whole fruit replaced, rather than the whole fruit itself? I think a lot of people would see a decrease in diabetes risk if they replaced their normal snacks with fruit. (Forgive me if I'm off, I didn't read the whole study.)

To be honest I think it is more likely that the people that eat fruit are also going to be eating a healthier balanced diet. People that don't eat fruit are probably not eating a healthy diet. That is why the study suggests (erroneously) that eating fruit will make you less likely to develop diabetes. I bet people that ate more vegetables had less of a chance of diabetes as well; and people that ate bacon had more of a chance of getting it, even though bacon would have nothing to do with diabetes. They just picked fruit and fruit juices because it seems like they would have to do with diabetes. These studies are so flawed...they should just say at the beginning of any of these studies "This proves absolutely nothing."

Bang on.

bobbylight said:
To be honest I think it is more likely that the people that eat fruit are also going to be eating a healthier balanced diet. People that don't eat fruit are probably not eating a healthy diet. That is why the study suggests (erroneously) that eating fruit will make you less likely to develop diabetes. I bet people that ate more vegetables had less of a chance of diabetes as well; and people that ate bacon had more of a chance of getting it, even though bacon would have nothing to do with diabetes. They just picked fruit and fruit juices because it seems like they would have to do with diabetes. These studies are so flawed...they should just say at the beginning of any of these studies "This proves absolutely nothing."

I agree, except for the fact that these studies are erroneous; one has to understand the difference between correlation and causation, and that's never spelled out for the general public in a study.

Any particular reason you bumped this thread?

Bang on.

I agree, except for the fact that these studies are erroneous; one has to understand the difference between correlation and causation, and that's never spelled out for the general public in a study.

Any particular reason you bumped this thread?

Actually I was trying to do some research on juices because I bought some oj today and wanted to see what the consensus on it was.

Back