Fruit Juice Consumption Increases Risk Of Diabetes

MikeMartial

Black Belt
Reaction score
Preachin' to the choir here, but interesting study, nonetheless:

Intake of Fruit, Vegetables, and Fruit Juices and Risk of Diabetes in Women.
Bazzano LA, Li TY, Joshipura KJ, Hu FB.

From the Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (LAB), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA; The Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health (TYL, FBH), Boston, MA, USA; The Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health (KJJ, FBH), Boston, MA, USA; The Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School (FH), Boston, MA, USA; The University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, School of Dentistry (KJJ), San Juan, PR; and The Harvard School of Dental Medicine (KJJ), Boston, MA, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the association between fruit, vegetable, and fruit juice intake and development of type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: A total of 71,346 female nurses ages 38-63 years, who were free of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and DM in 1984 were followed for 18 years and dietary information was collected using a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire every 4 years. Diagnosis of DM was self-reported. RESULTS: During follow-up, 4,529 cases of DM were documented and cumulative incidence of DM was 7.4%. An increase of 3 servings/day in total fruit and vegetable consumption was not associated with development of DM (multivariate-adjusted hazard ratio
, 0.99; 95% Confidence Interval [CI], 0.94 to 1.05) while the same increase in whole fruit consumption was associated with a lower hazard of DM (HR, 0.82; 95% CI, 0.72 to 0.94). An increase of 1 serving/day in green leafy vegetable consumption was associated with a modestly lower hazard of DM (HR, 0.91; 95% CI, 0.84 to 0.98), whereas the same change in fruit juice intake was associated with an increased hazard of DM (HR, 1.18; 95% CI, 1.10 to 1.26). CONCLUSIONS: Consumption of green leafy vegetables and fruit was associated with a lower hazard of DM, whereas consumption of fruit juices may be associated with an increased hazard among women.

Breakdown courtesy of Dr. John Briffa:

An increase in whole fruit consumption of 3 servings per day was associated with an 18 per cent reduced risk of diabetes.

An increase in green vegetable consumption of 1 serving a day was associated with a 9 per cent reduced risk of diabetes.

An increase in fruit juice consumption of one serving a day was associated with an 18 per cent INCREASED risk of diabetes.

Nice study, thanks.

Not all that surprising since most fruit juice seems to consist of not much more than the sugar and water from the fruit without the fibre or nutrients.

Wow, good study. What about OJ with lot of pulp? is that any better. I've cut it out of my diet, but my g/f still drinks it like it's going out of style.

Wow, good study. What about OJ with lot of pulp? is that any better. I've cut it out of my diet, but my g/f still drinks it like it's going out of style.

The pulp might lower the GI a bit, and different juices will have differing amounts of natural sugar at similar volumes.

What I find interesting is that whole fruit consumption lowered the risk.

EDIT: If you're going to drink straight juice, the only time I'd see feasible would be in a PWO shake.

The pulp might lower the GI a bit, and different juices will have differing amounts of natural sugar at similar volumes.

What I find interesting is that whole fruit consumption lowered the risk.

EDIT: If you're going to drink straight juice, the only time I'd see feasible would be in a PWO shake.

I'm definitely gonna have to talk to her about that then. Maybe I can get her to limit it to PWO since I finally convinced her to start going to the gym with me at least a couple times a week.

Insulin response, and reactions to feedings. Thats why I don't like High GI pretty much ever.

CORN SYRUP - thats all you need to know! Many argue that it is responsible for the DM in our society. Fruit juice is full of it!

Yeah, it's all very sensible, I think fruit in a shake PWO is fine though.

Not surprising, I'd imagine any food with sugar in it increases the risk of diabetes. Was this on teh hyperlipid guy's blog?

I'd be interested to see a study like this involving milk and seeing if that had any positive effect on diabetes.

As one person pointed out, it seems like any high sugar substance would fit this profile. Has there ever been a similar study on a high sugar food that did not find an increased risk?

I'm a middle school teacher, and it always makes me so mad when my colleagues give juice to the kids and say that it's a "healthy" alternative to soda.

Interesting study.

I will have to bring this up with the wife since she drinks a lot of fruit juice.

A few people have mentioned that 'any food with sugar content seemed like it would increase risk...'

But one of the things that I noticed(and Mike mentioned...) is that a REAL fruit that's not processed DECREASES the risk of diabetes.

So normal produce fruit LOWERS the risk level, drinking juice instead INCREASES the risk level.

A few people have mentioned that 'any food with sugar content seemed like it would increase risk...'

But one of the things that I noticed(and Mike mentioned...) is that a REAL fruit that's not processed DECREASES the risk of diabetes.

So normal produce fruit LOWERS the risk level, drinking juice instead INCREASES the risk level.

My grandmother is a diabetic and cannot eat fruit because it causes her blood sugar to skyrocket. How would something that has sugar in it give someone steady blood sugar levels? Non-starchy vegetables grown above the ground are far superior than fruit is for controlling blood sugar because of the much smaller insulin spike.

My grandmother is a diabetic and cannot eat fruit because it causes her blood sugar to skyrocket. How would something that has sugar in it give someone steady blood sugar levels? Non-starchy vegetables grown above the ground are far superior than fruit is for controlling blood sugar because of the much smaller insulin spike.

Keep in mind, the study was referring to the increase or decrease in RISK of diabetes, not studying the effects of fruit/juice/vegetables in someone with already impaired glucose regulation.

Keep in mind, the study was referring to the increase or decrease in RISK of diabetes, not studying the effects of fruit/juice/vegetables in someone with already impaired glucose regulation.

Understood. However, it is probably excessive glucose intake in the first place that causes diabetes. And if a certain food is prohibited because of a specific illness, it is probably a good idea to pay close attention and monitor the amounts of that food before even developing that illness in the first place, correct?

Back