Crime Fresh Del Monte says it cannot be held liable after violence at Kenyan farm

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
Civil claim relating to alleged killing, rape and attacks by guards at pineapple farm should be struck out, claim firm’s lawyers

maxresdefault.jpg

Fresh Del Monte has claimed it should not be held liable for a civil lawsuit alleging killing, rape and violence by security guards at its Kenyan pineapple farm because it is domiciled in the Cayman Islands.

In the high court in Thika on Thursday, lawyers for the company’s Kenyan subsidiary, Del Monte Kenya, also applied to have a case against the farm struck out altogether.

A civil claim was filed in Kenya on 30 December against Fresh Del Monte and Del Monte Kenya by a group of human rights organisations on behalf of 10 individuals.

It describes “conflicts with the security personnel deployed by Del Monte, who assault, beat, torture, maim, rape and/or kill the trespassers” on the 40 sq km farm that sprawls across three counties.

The court hearing followed revelations in the Guardian that representatives of Del Monte Kenya were accused of offering bribes in an attempt to cover up the circumstances in which four men died after going to steal pineapples from its farm in December. The report was part of an investigation with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism into allegations of violence and killings by the farm’s guards.

A Kenyan court will now have to determine next month whether Fresh Del Monte can be sued in the country before hearing a petition filed against the company and its Kenyan subsidiary for human rights violations, including murder and the torture of thieves caught stealing pineapples from its farm.

Mwangi Macharia, a lawyer for the African Centre for Corrective and Preventive Action (ACCPA), one of the organisations bringing the case, said outside court: “It is very irresponsible for Del Monte to tell us they are based in the Cayman Islands and they cannot be sued … but they can grow pineapples in Africa.”

3903.jpg

A Fresh Del Monte lawyer, Samir Inamdar, argued in court filings that Del Monte Kenya was a “wholly owned Kenyan registered subsidiary” and that the parent company was “incorporated in George Town, Cayman Islands outside the jurisdiction of this honourable court”.

Kiragu Kimani, a lawyer for Del Monte Kenya, argued the claim did not meet the legal standard, an issue he said should be decided on before any further claimants could be added. In a document submitted to the court, Del Monte Kenya argued the case should be struck out as it was “without basis, scandalous, frivolous and vexatious”.

Families of victims allegedly attacked by Del Monte guards thronged outside the court in Thika during the Thursday court session. A heavy presence of uniformed police officers kept some of the relatives outside the compound, even as it rained heavily.

Lawyers representing the claimants raised the issue of the police presence before Lady Justice Florence Muchemi, who said it would be investigated.

Delmonte-Kenya-Limited-1200x900.gif

Macharia Kamau of ACCPA told the court: “This morning, we were met with an overwhelming and disproportionate deployment of police officers who had barricaded the road as far as Thika highway. I counted at least one lorry and six police vehicles at the entrance to Thika town. There was a second contingent at the main entrance to the Thika law courts and they are very heavily armed and there is a third group outside the court. Fifty of our clients are standing in the rain due to the heavy police presence.”

He added:
“My clients are peaceful, they have been brutalised, that’s why they are in court and it will be compounding their brutalisation to overwhelm them with heavily armed police when they seek justice.”

Roda Wayua Kimeu, whose son’s body was one of four recovered from a river by the farm over Christmas, was among the relatives who attended court. While her son’s case is not part of the claim, she is one of many hoping Del Monte could be made liable for other allegations of violence.

Benjamin Kilule, whose brother Francis Ngoki Kilule also died after the December incident, also attended the hearing and said it made him hopeful, despite the fact that his brother’s case is not included. He said: “At least we can see something is going on in the pursuit for justice.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-be-held-liable-after-violence-at-kenyan-farm

So they want to sue the global company, not the local company incorporated in Kenya and responsible for its operation? I can see how that makes sense that the global company is a separate entity and may have a good argument there.

With that said if the local company is all a sham then just boot them out, take over it yourself and sell off its assets to the victims of crime.

So they want to sue the global company, not the local company incorporated in Kenya and responsible for its operation? I can see how that makes sense that the global company is a separate entity and may have a good argument there.

With that said if the local company is all a sham then just boot them out, take over it yourself and sell off its assets to the victims of crime.

They go after the deepest pockets. If Del Monte is proven to have known these

alleged things were happening, hope somebody at the highest level gets fried for it.

They go after the deepest pockets. If Del Monte is proven to have known these

alleged things were happening, hope somebody at the highest level gets fried for it.

What's it even going to do?

Let's say they win in court. What's the point?

"Pay us"
"No"

The end.

The global company doesn't have any assets there, they don't have any money there, they don't have an incorporated entity there. The only one with assets is the local company, Del Monte Kenya.

What's it even going to do?

Let's say they win in court. What's the point?

"Pay us"
"No"

The end.

The global company doesn't have any assets there, they don't have any money there, they don't have an incorporated entity there. The only one with assets is the local company, Del Monte Kenya.

As a subsidiary though it's still under the Del Monte umbrella? I'm not sure how that all shakes out, but wouldn't shareholders have a stake in any and all subsidiaries of the parent company? So yeah they can say "No, not paying" and then Kenya seizes the whole of Del Monte Kenya. All the land, every asset. Freezes their bank accounts.

That said, since Del Monte is filing this motion to get any attempt to sue the parent company tossed, maybe the assets of Del Monte Kenya are more expendable than what Del Monte thinks the parent company could potentially be liable for?

As a subsidiary though it's still under the Del Monte umbrella? I'm not sure how that all shakes out, but wouldn't shareholders have a stake in any and all subsidiaries of the parent company?

It's a wholly separate entity so owning shares in the global corp doesn't entitle you to own any shares in the local corp. The global corp will be paid licensing fees or some other share of the profit.

So yeah they can say "No, not paying" and then Kenya seizes the whole of Del Monte Kenya. All the land, every asset. Freezes their bank accounts.

Yep, that's what I said in my first post. If it's all BS I suppose Kenya can just shut the operation down, though the method of doing it would affect further investment in the country.

It's a wholly separate entity so owning shares in the global corp doesn't entitle you to own any shares in the local corp. The global corp will be paid licensing fees or some other share of the profit.

Yep, that's what I said in my first post. If it's all BS I suppose Kenya can just shut the operation down, though the method of doing it would affect further investment in the country.
Ahh so it's not really under that umbrella in any legal sense at all. Yeah not sure how any Kenyan court could ever collect, you're right. If they have no assets there, Kenya would basically have to appeal to international courts to put pressure on other nations to take action and that seems extremely unlikely.

Ahh so it's not really under that umbrella in any legal sense at all. Yeah not sure how any Kenyan court could ever collect, you're right. If they have no assets there, Kenya would basically have to appeal to international courts to put pressure on other nations to take action and that seems extremely unlikely.

This is basically the crux of the argument, it's not them, they don't exist there. The local entity is the one accountable.

I guess the locals must be pretty desperate. Looking online I found that the average retail price for a pineapple in Kenya is 0.75 USD. A thief wouldn't get retail price for them, likely about half selling them to fruit stalls or middlemen. So if they filled up a massive sack with like 30 pineapples, they're only looking at a 11 USD haul at most.

‘I saw many people suffer’: former Del Monte Kenya guards speak of violence on pineapple farm​

newman.large.jpg

Exclusive: former guards tell of clashes on farm that is facing civil claims over allegations of killing, rape and beatings

Former security guards at a vast Del Monte pineapple farm in Kenya have spoken for the first time describing violent clashes between guards and thieves at the plantation, which is facing civil claims over allegations of killing, rape and beatings by its guards.

Earlier this month Del Monte announced it would be outsourcing its security operations at the farm to G4S, sacking its 214 in-house guards.

The decision followed a series of investigations by the Guardian and The Bureau of Investigative Journalism since June last year that uncovered allegations of multiple deaths and violence linked to Del Monte’s guards.

Del Monte said G4S was given the contract in response to the recommendations of a recent Human Rights Impact Assessment, which was commissioned in the wake of the reporting. G4S will deploy 270 guards on the farm and say they will be given extensive training, including on de-escalation techniques and the minimum use of force.
maxresdefault.jpg

In interviews with the Guardian, five former guards at the farm alleged that a lack of training and Del Monte’s poor relationship with the local community had fuelled violent clashes.

One former guard, who worked for Del Monte for 10 years until 2019, claimed he saw suspected trespassers mauled by Del Monte’s dogs, get injured from beatings by guards or being hit by Del Monte cars then dumped in the bushes near the main road. He said he knew some were found alive and rescued while in other cases, he did not know what happened to them.

“I started feeling that this was not the right job for me just like my mother had kept telling me because I come from the local area and I saw many people that I know suffer under the hands of the guards,” the former guard said.

He claimed that stolen pineapples had been sold by the senior guards, which was “big business”, and that commanders had moved patrol teams away from where they intended to sell them.

Another former senior guard who worked at the farm for 13 years before losing his job in the G4S changeover, said when he started he was issued with a baton and given “basic training” on how to apprehend trespassers “which was largely physical training”.
6db39d8965bd4f3faf7765daee8b696c17f9f9cd.jpg

He said it was not until mid 2023 that they were told to “use minimum force”. The change of approach appears to coincide with the publication of the first Guardian and TBIJ articles alleging excessive violence by guards in June 2023.

The guard said that “the surrounding community was quite violent and they kept attacking us”, adding: “I blame it on the company for failing to establish a good relationship with the community who felt that they had no benefit from Del Monte.”

He said thieves were “well informed about the farm and knew where pineapples were ripe” and that thieves had insiders at the farm who gave them so much information “that they stayed ahead of the game most of the time. Sometimes they had more information than we did.”

Guards described how a newly introduced security manager left last month and two zone managers were sacked following reports that four men died after going to steal pineapples in December. The Guardian reported last month that representatives of Del Monte Kenya were accused of offering bribes in an attempt to cover up the circumstances.
551109.1.jpg

Many of the former guards have been protesting outside Del Monte, alleging that they were sacked without warning. A Del Monte spokesperson said the terminations “were conducted in accordance with Kenyan law and in consultation with the union”.

A high court hearing on Thursday granted permission to lawyers for families bringing a civil claim against Del Monte to amend their case. They are expected to add thousands of additional claimants.

Fresh Del Monte, the Florida-based headquarters of the tropical fruit empire, is arguing that it should not be liable for a case in Kenya because it is domiciled in the Cayman Islands. Its subsidiary, Del Monte Kenya, has not opposed being named and intends to respond to the allegations.

A spokesperson for Del Monte Kenya said: “We have made clear that Del Monte Kenya welcomes this opportunity to address the allegations that have been levelled against us and the Kenyan government in the appropriate venue, which is the Kenyan courts and not the media.”

Mwangi Macharia, chair of the African Center for Corrective and Preventive Action, which is bringing a civil claim against Del Monte on behalf of families, said: “What we see in the change of guards at Del Monte is an admission that their guards were involved in the human rights violations and a major vindication to us who have been dismissed whenever we made these allegations.

“I think it is also irresponsible to just replace the guards with G4S security because that will not change much without proper community engagement. There is supposed to be stakeholders’ dialogue. Changing guards without addressing these issues will still bring us problems as human rights defenders.”
1*-3UxAniIMBdRXSEH6Ilh0A.jpeg

A Del Monte Kenya spokesperson said G4S were given the contract because of the HRIA assessment’s recommendation and “not as part of any kind of admission of wrongdoing.”
They added: “We understand that the allegations that have been reported in the media, pointing blame on Del Monte Kenya, are part of a widespread disinformation campaign designed to pressure Del Monte Kenya to cede land that legally belongs to it.

The constitutional action that has been filed against the attorney general of Kenya and the director of public prosecutions of Kenya as well as Del Monte Kenya and others is by the same self-interested organisations that have been calling for Del Monte Kenya to cede land that it legally owns.

“The court case is an opportunity for all parties to present evidence – rather than unsubstantiated allegations – in a public forum and we trust that those proceedings will reveal the truth and vindicate our good name.”

G4S declined to comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ya-guards-speak-of-violence-on-pineapple-farm

Earlier this month Del Monte announced it would be outsourcing its security operations at the farm to G4S, sacking its 214 in-house guards.

i dont know much about pineapple farms, but a pineapple farm requires 214 guards? are these pineapples made of gold? are they growing cocaine inside of these pineapples?

It describes “conflicts with the security personnel deployed by Del Monte, who assault, beat, torture, maim, rape and/or kill the trespassers” on the 40 sq km farm that sprawls across three counties.

this is one piece of land that i ain't ever gonna trespass on! the people doing it must really have balls. i wonder what kind of signs they post up? "Warning: Trespassers will be raped and mutilated!"

Didn't the US stage coups for similar issues in regards to fruit production overseas?

i'm looking at this place on google maps and this farm looks huge,but one dude put a troll business listing smack dab in the middle of fhe crops and called it the Pineapple Highland Resort.

this might be able to explain whats going on here. a pineapple farm is prime real estate to park a luxury resort on, and all of these trespassers who are getting raped, disfigured, and killed are just a bunch of tourists that are looking to check into their hotel rooms and jump in the pool.

yeah, i dont know about getting raped and mutilated. maybe i'll just book a room at the motel 6.

Not sure if this has been tried before somewhere else but they should strip Del Monte of ownership and give it to the people to run.

Back