Frequently Injured, anybody else?

So I'm a reasonably healthy person, and I come from a good martial arts and sports foundation. I've switched to BJJ since Sept and I took a real like to it. But one problem plagues me.

Do you guys get frequent injuries/infections that prevent you from training about every 3 to 4 months? I'm on my third doctor approved, x-ray certified injury since I started. And moreso does this happen to you when training BJJ than any other martial art you train in?

If you're continually getting infections you need to see a doctor, and examine the suitability of your training environment hygiene-wise.

As for injuries, it comes with he territory, and some are unluckier than others, as well as not being as young and rubbery as others. Personally I've not had the best of luck but yoga and treating recovery from injuries with respect it deserves has given me a better run over luck over the past 18 months.

What kind of infections are we talking about? Is the staff, ringworm, etc.?

Nothing that requires an X-ray but I had a lot of problems at first. I think some of it was my body was not used to such pounding and the rest was not knowing what to do in certain positions to stay safe.

One day I just decided no more.

I started always warming up being really conscious of my position and I switched gyms to a place that taught good technique, not just "move of the day" and scrap.

Also train 4 days a week, keeping a day in between except friday and saturday. I think consecutive day training is not healthy, you do not recover and this leads to permanent injuries. That is the cost of being a professional athlete but I do not think it is a good example for most people.

I wonder about this, I'll probably not get injured again but everybody else is getting fucked up all the time. In the long run, they may just be negating their progress by training more.

Like yeah you'll get to black belt faster assuming you don't burn out completely but by the time you get there how much of your body will actually work? lol

Last edited:
Back