Frequently Injured, anybody else?

yes i get injured all the time - part of the sport.

You going to train hard to get better.. your going to sacrafice your body to do so.

I always warm up and stretch prior to training. The first 1/2 hour of class is for that. Even on open mats, I do the same routine. Thus far it has allowed me to stay relatively injury free (been grappling for almost 5 years).

However, I am right now dealing with a groin pull (at least I think that's what's wrong) and I can't play closed guard, finish triangles or maintain a mount without being in extreme pain. It's making Jiu-jitsu pretty miserable right now. Ugh. My question is, should I train through it or take off some time and rest up. F'n frustrating to say the least.

Take time off. Groin injuries suck and can become chronic if not given time to heal right.

He's this really nerdy CPA with glasses and always has a tie on. Every time I see him... no matter where he's going.

I had to give him extra credit for even knowing enough to make a joke about it. ;-}

Don't let it fool you. I bet he's part of some underground fight club like Dog Brothers or something.

Dog Brothers are sadistic mofo's but they sure can swing a stick!

i've learned to take it easy on the mat, and when in doubt, tap. proper warm up is HUGE too.

I think the only time I wasn't hurt was right before the start of my first class.

I train BJJ and I get a bunch of new bruises after each training session. Coincedently I am nursing a broken collarbone from doing something and using poor technique. So with that I would think that most injuries will come from one of two things...bad technique or you and your training partner are going too hard.

Don't let it fool you. I bet he's part of some underground fight club like Dog Brothers or something.

He has a rose garden behind his house (yes, it's his, not the wife's... I shit you not) and when he's outside he plays Fleetwood Mac CDs on this little boom box that he takes out into the yard.

I bet he's just trying to throw me off, though. There's no telling what's going on inside that house. Maybe tomorrow I'll punch him and see what happens.

Thanks for the insight, I'm glad I have this forum as a resource. Every time I've had a legit question, you people have provided intelligent (for the most part) advise. i'm going to stick with JJ

If you were wondering, it's a broken/fracture rib from a backmount triangle. It never poked out, or into my lung, but my doctor is really worried about pectoral ligament damage. This was about 5 weeks ago.

On a great note, i went back to lifting today and I was able to bench my body (3x10 times) weight without making funny faces or gasping for air. So I'll probably go back to JJ after a week of lifting.

PS Never underestimate the nerd who tells you he stick fights. It's a very nerdy community, let me tell you, but it's also a very athletic and committed to a martial art community as well. They're the meanest nerds you'll freaken meet.

i get LOADS of injuries, it's ridiculous.

Only one of them has been from a submission being cranked on me though. That's my current one, a mild-ish ankle sprain but it could take a while to heal as i still train on it. It was fine tonight until i decided to try and regain half guard by dragging his leg with my bad foot :(

Also got a back injury, stiff neck, turf toe, some sort of shoulder problem. I'm only 22!

Last night i got uchi-mata'd or some kind of hip throw(jiu-jitsu not judo juy) when i landed i somehow managed to bite both sides of my tounge with my molers on both sides.

I think somethings wrong with my toe as well. The knuckle that connects my toe to my foot hurts and is alittle swollen.

As long as your doing Jiu-Jitsu you're always gonna have nagging injuries, just hope that nothing serious happens.

Take time off. Groin injuries suck and can become chronic if not given time to heal right.

Yeah, i trained last night and it was miserable. Gonna take your advice and take the week off. I'm gonna do it right too. Had pizza for dinner tonight and got some brownies baking right now. Fuck it, if I can't train I might as well enjoy it. Maybe this week won't be so bad after all.:icon_chee

Shitty part is I am supposed to compete on the 19th. Still want to compete, but probably won't be prepared properly. Just hope I can hold a guard closed without wincing by then.

due to my lack of an athletic background due to repeated surgeries/surgical procedures and health concerns, i haven't been able to train like i want in anything due to my body not being able to take the sustained abuse,

dislocated toe-2x
cracked a tooth
sprained neck-2
sprained fingers- many times
concussion-2x
sprained wrist/ankle-,amy times
strained abdominal muscle
internal bleeding-a few times
bruised sternum-3x
and slightly seperated shoulder
strained knee/elbow-4
bruised ribs-3
hip flexor injury
slightly fractured forearm
strained ligaments in hand

dr says i can't consistently train hard or spar alot; cus my body hasn't been conditioned for it and has a hard time conditioning cus of structural flaws and weaknesses. An the fact due to a lack of weightlifting and body on body contact sports; i have not have the dev to protect my body from the abuse. An then there has been issues in regards to strength as im lighter than most and had been kept from doing alot of strength type exercises-no weights and no real contact sports. So i get manhandled quite a bit when tying up or grappling, which leads to alot of injuries

i won't even get into what happens when i sparred too much standup

but i train and been doing so on/off for what almost 9yrs now

I get injured all the time as well. When I first started bjj I use to get bruises all over my body with some embarrasing ones over my neck.

The major ones are
1)popped my elbow (which healed up surprisingly quick)
2)popped my shoulder twice. One resulting in neck pain and shoulder pain and the other with just shoulder pains.
3)something cracked in my ankle when a Russian sambo guy got me in a heel hook. That injury took the longest to heal.
4)fractured finger, didn't hurt too much but when it healed it looked a little disfigured.

The one that really pisses me off is the marks I get on my face. My face bruises really easily. I have no idea why. Using vaseline has largely got rid of this problem but if I forget to put some on, I inevitably get a small graze which turns into a large red blotch the next morning. These marks on my face doesn't leave a good impression of me with my employers.

I always warm up and stretch prior to training. The first 1/2 hour of class is for that. Even on open mats, I do the same routine. Thus far it has allowed me to stay relatively injury free (been grappling for almost 5 years).

However, I am right now dealing with a groin pull (at least I think that's what's wrong) and I can't play closed guard, finish triangles or maintain a mount without being in extreme pain. It's making Jiu-jitsu pretty miserable right now. Ugh. My question is, should I train through it or take off some time and rest up. F'n frustrating to say the least.

I pulled my groin in November, although not as severely as you describe. The pain has been constant, nearly certainly because I kept training. It has finally healed, but what finally allowed it to heal was the 6 weeks I've had to take off for the three bones I broke in my hand at a Judo tournament. I still can't pick up anything heavy, or put very much twisting pressure on my hand, and have to wear a splint. :icon_sad:

Although I'm older than you, my point is that groin injuries, particularly ones as bad as you describe, can take time to heal. Let yours heal so that it doesn't become chronic.

i get banged up from time to time, but little things. i have good training partners that know how to sink in subs w/o tweaking anything. you're gonna get kicked in the face from top position, bump heads, occasional nose bleed, etc.. but that's normal

defintily ALWAYS warm up. do jumping jacks, stretch, run a few laps, to get the blood pumping and loosen up your muscles to avoid muscle pulls and what not.

there's a risk for injury training any combat sport, but u could just as easily trip down the steps carrying groceries and break your leg, ya know. it's life

This thread is kinda old, but I started BJJ in October (coming from a MuayThai-Basket-fitness-loads of ski background) and since then i got:
- fractured left side rib;
- fractured left pinky finger;
- something wrong right side rib, getting it checked soon....

I love BJJ, i don't wanna stop, but I also wonder how much these white belts crazy guys at my dojo are the ideal partners to train with....

This thread is kinda old....

That's like saying Anderson Silva kinda broke his leg.
Or that Marcelo Garcia is kinda good.
Or that Caio Terra kinda has a skittles addiction.

Everything seems to come to me in waves. right now I have a broken finger, a separated rib and a pinched nerve. So I'm finally deciding to take a week or two off. I think I just over compensate with other parts of my body when one is hirt

Back