• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

French Judo Federation bans any Judoka teaching MMAa

it is indeed just them defending their piece of pie. They fear mma for good reasons. They are obsolete and they know it. The future of judo is being a part of the mma package and nothing more.

MMA tayken ovah!!!!

Well, well, well... Something interesting from 27/11/2014:

The Judo Federation launches a competitor to counter MMA

The project is stamped with the seal "confidential". The French Judo Federation and Associated Disciplines (FFJDA), 4th National Sports Federation with over 570,000 licensees, plans to create a new discipline, "Mixed Jujitsu Arts." In other words, the MJA. An acronym that inevitably leads one to think MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), the hottest combat sport at the moment, which allows for ground strikes in addition to boxing techniques, wrestling, judo and grappling. And this is obviously not a coincidence.

For years, the FFJDA has opposed the federal recognition of MMA, which it considers a degrading practice that violates human dignity. An opinion which is rejected by its French practitioners. They denounce the comparison with the "no-holds-barred" ruleset, which has not been practiced for some fifteen years in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the world's premiere, and highly regulated MMA league.

This MJA project is in fact a reaction to the establishment of an "educational MMA" section, welcoming children and adults, in a judo club in Thouars.

This initiative was first condemned by the FFJDA with threat of a shutdown. But far from falling into line, the club then placed itself under the banner of a separate, multi-sport judo union. Legally unstoppable!

A meeting convened in September at the headquarters of the Judo Federation in Paris seems even dedicate the victory of the club by forfeit. "All that is done outside the FFJDA does not concern us" would indeed said Jean-Luc Rouge, president of the FFJDA, according to comments reported by Yann Leroux, director of Thouars club.

Hence the surprise when, a month and a half later, the president of Judo Club from Thouars receives the minutes of this meeting; the French Judo Federation unveils its counter-attack and birth of a new discipline, the MJA.

(...)

source: http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/sp...oncurrent-dans-les-jambes-du-mma_1625939.html

The article goes on to say that it is unlikely that many from France's estimated 700 clubs, or 7 000-40 000 MMA practitioners will now decide to join the Judo federation, given that it consideres their sport 'barbaric'.

MMA is illegal in France? Pretty sure when I was visiting the south of France a couple years ago, there were mma posters promoting an event headlined by Overeem's brother.

Judo may be popular in France, but where else? Handful of asian countries perhaps.

Judo is one of the most practiced arts in the world. So much that Saudi Arabia of all places allows women to compete.

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/french-judo-federation-immediate-ban-for-all-judokas-teaching-mma/

WTF is wrong with the judo community? Hasn't MMA only increased the popularity and relevance of judo?

This has nothing to do with the french, it's actually the opposite.. It's basic politics in fact

The Judo federation is one of the most powerful sport fed in France ( France is the second nation just behind japan ) and MMA is growing more and more popular.

They (the FFJ ) are the reason MMA is still illegal here, they have been doing everything they can to prevent MMA from becoming legal because they don't want their top stars to try MMA, and legalizing MMA would be a major blow for them ( losing tons of people to BJJ or grappling )

It would hurt the federation money/relevance/power/subventions from the governement.. so here you go it's only a matter of power and money once again

in france mma fights are illegal...

It's France. We shouldn't be slighty surprised by any of this.

Yet France let's in Muslim extremists into their country by the truck load. Creating no go zones for the French non Muslim ppl. France get it together. You have much bigger issues to address.

Switch off your TV and open your brain.

I'll never forget when GSP and BJ Penn fought to the death in the cage

so gruesome

MMA is illegal in France? Pretty sure when I was visiting the south of France a couple years ago, there were mma posters promoting an event headlined by Overeem's brother.
Pancrase Fighting Championship, it has a different rule set, mainly ground strikes are prohibited.

Judo isn't really that common in MMA gyms anyways. It's usually BJJ+wrestling+MT+boxing.

Judo may be popular in France, but where else? Handful of asian countries perhaps.

And I doubt that they could make more with ads as a Judoka than ads as an MMA fighter. One is a very small market, whereas MMA is global and growing. Also, it's popular in the US, which is where the money is.

you're not putting things into perspectives. the way things are at the moment in France, you are more famous as a judoka than as an mma fighter. more exposure. And because of the image of 'cage fighting', you're more like to get important advertising contracts being a judoka champion than a 'cage fighter'.

you're thinking about how things are in the US. It's a different market with different trends.

Because of MMA I actually watched judo at the last Olympics.
Because of MMA, I wouldn't choose judo as a base for my martial arts.

might have been what they call 'pancrase'. basically MMA but without ground strikes / ground and pound. that's the closest thing to MMA that's authorized in France.

they shake hands after the fight (weigh ins),after the referee tells them, at the start of the fight and before the fight.

How many handshakes do you need french judoka?

Because of MMA, I wouldn't choose judo as a base for my martial arts.

Judo might not be as popular as BJJ for MMA but it's actually a very good base. And even more so if your goals aren't necessarily to fight in a cage.

Back