"Free rides don't last forever." - Bad Boy CEO on Reebok deal

How could you have possibly have missed that?

Shogun, Lyoto, Weidman, Maia, Gus, etc. all have had Bad Boy walkout shirts.

I was wearing the Shogun UFC 104 hat today.

I see this has suprised a number of you.

Now that I've seen the logo, I have seen this before, I just had no idea what the company was.

But I'm assuming this is just me, because I'm just not interested in these brands.

How was it free when you had to pay the UFC a sponsor tax and the fighter for actually wearing your gear. And wouldn't the fighter be compensated according to how many eyes he/she could get on their bout? So if a fighter knew they were main eventing a Fox show with 2/3 million possible people watching wouldn't they bump up the charge for their sponsors accordingly? And that 25 minutes is assuming their fighter lasts more than the first round.

Definitely wasn't a free ride for the sponsors they paid as much as the market dictated they had to, no more, no less. This guy sounds like he's trying to kiss Dana's ass.

James harden just got t triple the money on his shoe deal as the whole Reebok deal

Now that I've seen the logo, I have seen this before, I just had no idea what the company was.

But I'm assuming this is just me, because I'm just not interested in these brands.

Yea I had to google the company to know who they were. I just don't pay attention to that stuff.

Nobody scorches earth like Zuffa. If the UFC makes it known internally that having a deal with Bad Boy is putting you on the outs, they will be pushed out of the business instantly.

If he wants to stay in the business of UFC fighters - even in this reduced manner - he absolutely has to make a positive statement, or say nothing at all.

"free"

its not free when you pay sponsor tax to the ufc

The "sponsor tax" was nothing in comparison to the value of advertising they were gaining.

They paid $50-100K per year for the right to advertise at UFC events in turn gaining them advertising worth tens of millions of dollars or more.

If you had the opportunity to pay $50,000 to earn $9,950,000, you would take it wouldnt you?

UFC is fools if they believe that, which they apparently do. Ronda Rowdy, Aldo, and Conor Mc are bringing in the fans, same as Brock, Anderson Spider, and GSP did before. People aren't watching UFC for the fights, they are watching for these stars. The stars make the UFC, not the other way around.

UFC should take a page from soccer with handling of the sponsors. They can still have their logo centerstage on the front of the shirt, with other sponsors on the sleeves and along the shoulder line and on the back.

UFC as a brand is worth over $400M.

By that I mean if there were an identical company with an identical roster of fighters promoting the same exact number of events, but called something else, it would be worth $400M less.

Last edited:

Neither am I, but considering it's an iconic logo that you see very often and that the name is always written as well it's very weird that a guy who posts 6-7 times a day hasnt picked it up subconsciously.

"free"

its not free when you pay sponsor tax to the ufc

50k for an entire year of your brand being shown to millions of people might as well be free.

That sponsor tax was what, 50k? That's practically free for the exposure they were getting.

The UFC isn't prohibiting any fighter from getting any sponsors outside of fight week Reebok obligations. If fighters can't secure sponsors under these conditions, it's 100% their fault. Rousey has to wear Reebok, but you don't see her having any problem with outside sponsors.

Theres alot of fighters that would bitch slap you if you said that to them and you would deserve it.

people replying to my old post

yeah i knew that, i was just flaming a bit

a bad attempt, i know

Sure, 35 minutes of exposure if your fighter doesn't get knocked out in the first round.

Except a lot of the smarter sponsors were sponsoring like every single fighter on the card.

They were getting 3-4 hours of prime time advertising per event for only $50-100K year.

I'm surprised FOX let it go on as long as they did.

Theres alot of fighters that would bitch slap you if you said that to them and you would deserve it.

You mean fighters have to act like athletes from other sports now? For shame.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just remember the fighters are getting paid chump change by Reebok while Rousey is making $830k in 3 days selling DNB T-shirts.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just remember the fighters are getting paid chump change by Reebok while Rousey is making $830k in 3 days selling DNB T-shirts.

DNB, eh? You'd think some of these fighters' management would know what that means and act accordingly.

Back