Frankie Edgar's Gas Tank at UFN 13

PabloZed

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Like many, I am intrigued and excited by the Aldo V Edgar fight, a five rounder in Las Vegas. Without going over ground already covered in other threads, I wanted to focus on the idea that a potential Aldo weakness is his stamina. He said recently he walks around at 170 and we have heard he had trouble cutting the weight the last couple fights. Finally, he was either sick, exhausted or both in the 5th against Hominick (but was still in no danger of losing the fight).

Some have forgotten that Frankie had his own stamina problem in his first fight with Maynard, UFN 13 in Denver. The altitude is always a factor for some, but it was a 3 rounder, not 5, so I am not sure how much blame the altitude deserves. Frankie was controlled and pretty much dominated in the 3d. Maynard took him down a few times and at one point Frankie got up, but seemed ready to collapse on his own accord. Another reason may have been the pressure Maynard applied. In the 2d & 3d rounds he seemed to abandon his reliance on the standup and focused on taking Edgar down, which may have exhausted Edgar. (Strangely, in fights II and III Maynard went back to reliance on the stand up.)

Most will still give Edgar the advantage in stamina and some suggest the longer the fight the better Edgar's odds. I think it may depend on Aldo's strategy. We know he is going to try to cripple Edgar with kicks, but I would not be surprised if he turned the tables on the wrestler and took him down. We have seen what Aldo's elbows can do.

Lol, did you really just question Edgar's gas tank because of a fight that many years ago?

Did you really even attempted to question Edgar's cardio?

couldve been an andreline dump to seeing how it was his first ufc fight. But Edgar went five rounds with benson in denver and seemed fine. Dont see this being any different.

J danger doesn't know anything. He's like the Weekly World News of MMA knowledge...

Ronnie Mund

tumblr_lr520ok7Tw1qacoeno1_500.png

couldve been an andreline dump to seeing how it was his first ufc fight. But Edgar went five rounds with benson in denver and seemed fine. Dont see this being any different.

do ppl just post stuff blindly. dude, that was edgars 4th ufc fight. 3 fights against griffin, bocek, then fischer. what the hell.. anyway..

ts. that fight was a very odd one for frankie. firstly, he may not have had extensive training in colorado, and if u ask any athlete, trainer, or ppl who closely follow sports, being in such high altitude is vastly different, than say, nj sea level training.

also, i truly believe that frankie being in the mtv show truelife: i am an ultimate fighter (or something to that extent) clouded his training and preparation.

ALSO, edgar was set to marry his fiance right after the fight, or sometime around it. just a bad time for frankie to fight imo.

maybe look up Edgars record as that wasn't his first ufc fight.

Its no more ridiculous than basing Aldo's cardio on round 5 with Hominick

do ppl just post stuff blindly. dude, that was edgars 4th ufc fight. 3 fights against griffin, bocek, then fischer. what the hell.. anyway..

ts. that fight was a very odd one for frankie. firstly, he may not have had extensive training in colorado, and if u ask any athlete, trainer, or ppl who closely follow sports, being in such high altitude is vastly different, than say, nj sea level training.

also, i truly believe that frankie being in the mtv show truelife: i am an ultimate fighter (or something to that extent) clouded his training and preparation.

ALSO, edgar was set to marry his fiance right after the fight, or sometime around it. just a bad time for frankie to fight imo.

Sure, lots of factors may have contributed to his conditioning. But the same is surely true for Aldo against Hominick.

The idea that a fight a couple years ago should be ignored is absurd. It wasn't Frankie's debut in the UFC.

It wasn't his first UFC fight at all. In fact, Frankie was fresh off a win over a highly touted Tyson Griffin.
Frankie Edgar was also ranked in the top ten. A win over Maynard would have placed him one win from a Title Fight, that's how highly regarded Edgar was going into the Maynard fight.
Maynard was given little chance. Gray broke his right hand seconds into the first round of that fight.

Sure, lots of factors may have contributed to his conditioning. But the same is surely true for Aldo against Hominick.

The idea that a fight a couple years ago should be ignored is absurd. It wasn't Frankie's debut in the UFC.
A couple is two. This fight was five years ago.

Well this is a first. Of all the criticisms one could level against Frankie, his cardio has to be one of his main weapons.

I'm not really sure how to respond here. Should I be upset with the TS, or just sad?

Are you telling me, Ravden, that Edgar was NOT ranked in the top ten going into the Maynard fight?

tell me about aldo's factors going into the hominick fight. we can compare them to edgars. im just saying. filming a show, preparing for marriage. those are just two huge ones that i am sure were 2 priorities before his fight.

Lol, did you really just question Edgar's gas tank because of a fight that many years ago?

hahah no doubt, he might as well do MMA math, like this

jose aldo>mike brown>leonard garcia>rocky johnson>ben henderson>frankie edgar

so Aldo can beat edgar, hahha...not, smh sherdoggers these days

Edgar went 5 rounds no problem in Denver against Bendo and looked better than he did NOT at altitude. This thread is stupid as shit.

Back