Frankie Edgar's Gas Tank at UFN 13

Watch the Florian fight.
Watch the Faber fight.

I saw them both. Aldo looked spectacular against the much smaller Faber but he coasted against Florian, who actually gave Aldo some problems with his wrestling. Since when has Florian been known for his wrestling? That's actually one of the list of reasons I think Edgar's going to be way too much for Aldo. Frankie is an exponentially better MMA wrestler than Kenny Florian.

The Florian fight was the one where people had questions about Aldo's cardio, and Kenny tried to test that with his hugging strategy, but it didn't work out. This was immediately after the Hominick fight and Aldo didn't show the same weakness again.

We're remembering that fight differently. Aldo definitely coasted against Florian, you're acting like he went balls to the wall without slowing down for five rounds. The entire fight was fought at a snail's pace.

You haven't mentioned Aldo's illness. You also haven't noticed that Aldo handled the cut just fine several other times.
You also assume that Aldo can't finish Edgar at some point earlier in the fight.

I haven't acknowledged any illness because I think it's a load of bullshit.

Aldo has gone five rounds a few times in the past but he is a very young man who has to cut more and more to make 145. Like I said, the man cuts from 170 pounds. He's a huge featherweight and it's only a matter of time until he won't be able to make the weight at all. I guarantee you he will gas if Frankie makes it out of the first couple of rounds.

Frankie has to survive the leg kicks

Like many, I am intrigued and excited by the Aldo V Edgar fight, a five rounder in Las Vegas. Without going over ground already covered in other threads, I wanted to focus on the idea that a potential Aldo weakness is his stamina. He said recently he walks around at 170 and we have heard he had trouble cutting the weight the last couple fights. Finally, he was either sick, exhausted or both in the 5th against Hominick (but was still in no danger of losing the fight).

Some have forgotten that Frankie had his own stamina problem in his first fight with Maynard, UFN 13 in Denver. The altitude is always a factor for some, but it was a 3 rounder, not 5, so I am not sure how much blame the altitude deserves. Frankie was controlled and pretty much dominated in the 3d. Maynard took him down a few times and at one point Frankie got up, but seemed ready to collapse on his own accord. Another reason may have been the pressure Maynard applied. In the 2d & 3d rounds he seemed to abandon his reliance on the standup and focused on taking Edgar down, which may have exhausted Edgar. (Strangely, in fights II and III Maynard went back to reliance on the stand up.)

Most will still give Edgar the advantage in stamina and some suggest the longer the fight the better Edgar's odds. I think it may depend on Aldo's strategy. We know he is going to try to cripple Edgar with kicks, but I would not be surprised if he turned the tables on the wrestler and took him down. We have seen what Aldo's elbows can do.

1315550015703489.gif

I'm so sick of hearing how gassed Aldo was vs hominick. He let up because he didn't wanna pop the hemo. Watch it again.

I wish people truly understood what weight cutting meant. Aldo is 170 out of camp, he probably trains and diets down to around 155 and cuts the rest.

I wish people understood simple English. Jose Aldo recently said in an interview that he weighs 170 and cuts to 145, and that the cut gets more difficult every fight. I didn't say he did it overnight.

Edgar's cardio won't be a problem.. But I could see him draggin Aldo into one of his classic wars and maybe Aldo wears down in the 4th or 5th

I wish people understood simple English. Jose Aldo recently said in an interview that he weighs 170 and cuts to 145, and that the cut gets more difficult every fight. I didn't say he did it overnight.

Totally not possible that it was mistranslated.

Totally not possible that it was mistranslated.

Ahaha yeah that's it, it must have been mis-translated.

No, Aldo weighs around 170 pounds. He's a big boy at featherweight because he cuts more weight than most at that weight class. Acting like that's not going to affect his gas tank is being naive. In this same interview he said he'd rather fight at 155 because the cut is so rough but his manager is advising him to stay at 145 for another year or so.

I'm so sick of hearing how gassed Aldo was vs hominick. He let up because he didn't wanna pop the hemo. Watch it again.

So true. Aldo actually looks disgusted and afraid with that bubble of waste hovering above him - can't blame him.

LOL at the premise of this post. First of all Edgar didn't even gas that badly in the first Maynard fight. His cardio definitely diminished but he was still able to fight at a fairly decent pace at the end of round 3.

Second, who cares it was 5 years ago?

Third, does TS realize Edgar still had no camp at that point? He had no s&c coaching, no formal training camp and was still working part time as a wrestling coach and still might have been a plumber (maybe, I don't remember exactly when he stopped plumbing but he was still on payroll at rutgers as a wrestling coach). His training for fights consisted of calling up a bunch of friends and asking them if they wanted to train with him that given day. That fight made him realize he needed an actual training camp when prepping for fights. Considering he was fighting in Colorado with no real training against someone as good as Maynard, it seems to make sense that his conditioning wasn't as good as it maybe could have been right?

In other words, throw that fight out the window because it isn't comparable to Aldo against hominick or Florian at all.

Ahaha yeah that's it, it must have been mis-translated.

No, Aldo weighs around 170 pounds. He's a big boy at featherweight because he cuts more weight than most at that weight class. Acting like that's not going to affect his gas tank is being naive. In this same interview he said he'd rather fight at 155 because the cut is so rough but his manager is advising him to stay at 145 for another year or so.

He cuts more than most to make 145? Are you sure about that?

Its no more ridiculous than basing Aldo's cardio on round 5 with Hominick

Right you are, Ken!

cq3wxDj8Doijvgkc8msmJ7SKo1_400.jpg

It's funny that despite going 5 hard rounds against Faber and Florian on either side of the Hominick fight, people are willing to question Aldo's tank. Then when someone points out a fight showing questionable stamina on Edgar's part, also with an otherwise solid record of cardio, it's just plain ridiculous and is lambasted on these forums.

Every interview I've read has pointed out that the hard time he had making weight against Hominick and the resulting less-than-stellar cardio displayed (only in the 5th round mind you!!) was an exception rather than a normal happening. Can't say who has the edge in this fight for sure but I'd like to think Aldo's cardio won't be the determining factor.

It's definitely an assumption although in fairness to me surely it's a reasonable one. Do most featherweights walk around at 170?

That's twenty five pounds. Fighters like Benson Henderson probably cut more weight than that. Gray Maynard cut to 155 from 200 or so. 'Rampage' cuts from 240. To say that you know Aldo cuts more than most is hyperbole. It's merely speculation on your behalf. Aldo isn't really a big 145'er anyway.

Yep, let's totally forget Edgar's past 6 fights, which 5 of them went all 5 rounds and 1 four and remember a fight so long before that to remind us of Edgar's gas tank. Take note people.

I saw them both. Aldo looked spectacular against the much smaller Faber but he coasted against Florian, who actually gave Aldo some problems with his wrestling. Since when has Florian been known for his wrestling? That's actually one of the list of reasons I think Edgar's going to be way too much for Aldo. Frankie is an exponentially better MMA wrestler than Kenny Florian.

We're remembering that fight differently. Aldo definitely coasted against Florian, you're acting like he went balls to the wall without slowing down for five rounds. The entire fight was fought at a snail's pace.

I haven't acknowledged any illness because I think it's a load of bullshit.

Aldo has gone five rounds a few times in the past but he is a very young man who has to cut more and more to make 145. Like I said, the man cuts from 170 pounds. He's a huge featherweight and it's only a matter of time until he won't be able to make the weight at all. I guarantee you he will gas if Frankie makes it out of the first couple of rounds.

In my opinion this fight will look like JDS v Cain II. Edgar isn't as relentless with his takedowns, but he definitely pushes the pace and is in your face. The only thing he really needs to avoid in my opinion is the leg kicks (easier said than done), but I'm sure he has been focusing a ton on that. As Jack Slack always says, its impossible to kick off of a leg that you're stepping back on. If Edgar pushes the pace I see him taking a UD

Back