Frankie Edgar Bodyweight Challenge

Lead

/Led/ blanket
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Obviously this will be easier for lighter guys like Edgar but I though maybe some of you would be interested in finding out your number. I have yet to try it since my college gym doesn't have a flat bench

[YT]P8BwaZKx0ZA[/YT]

Edit- Since the video never embeds for me, here is the link

YouTube - TFW Bodyweight Challenge Champion Frankie Edgar

Last edited:

I think it's been posted before.

edit: and when u embed, everything after the equal sign.

I think it's been posted before.

edit: and when u embed, everything after the equal sign.

Oh, I have been including the = sign. Thanks bro

Obviously this will be easier for lighter guys like Edgar but I though maybe some of you would be interested in finding out your number. I have yet to try it since my college gym doesn't have a flat bench

wtf?

Doing that when you are that small isn't really that impressive though. I doubt 90% of heavyweights could do that.

Doing that when you are that small isn't really that impressive though. I doubt 90% of heavyweights could do that.

I dont know the science behind it, maybe Tosa can chime in, but the dude looked like he was pressing 155 27 times and supposedly weighs that. Obviously its looks easier to press lighter weight but, body weight is body weight, this is what Edgar weighs and he's pressing it. The only obvious variance that I see is that Edgar is a LW and in great shape wt a low fat percentage, hes mainly muscle, as opposed to a HW whos slobbish. Muscle moves weight not fat. Still impressive though, I'm 155 and if I walk into the gym tomorrow to try that theres no way I can press 155 that many times. I'm gonna try it though tomorrow and I'll let you know, as I'm 155 as well. Edgar is beast he wrestled in my HS district in NJ. Freak athlete.

I dont know the science behind it, maybe Tosa can chime in, but the dude looked like he was pressing 155 27 times and supposedly weighs that. Obviously its looks easier to press lighter weight but, body weight is body weight, this is what Edgar weighs and he's pressing it. The only obvious variance that I see is that Edgar is a LW and in great shape wt a low fat percentage, hes mainly muscle, as opposed to a HW whos slobbish. Muscle moves weight not fat. Still impressive though, I'm 155 and if I walk into the gym tomorrow to try that theres no way I can press 155 that many times. I'm gonna try it though tomorrow and I'll let you know, as I'm 155 as well. Edgar is beast he wrestled in my HS district in NJ. Freak athlete.

Well, here's a possible reason: muscle mass is not the only thing that produces strength. Other factors include (but are not limited to): motor unit recruitment, the speed at which motor units fire, the pattern in which they fire, body leverages, connective tissue properties (ability to transmit force), development of stretch reflexes, and psychological factors such as desire/belief you can do a lift.

None of those would be directly affected by the amount of muscle mass you have. So, if you gain more muscle, that part of the equation will increase in terms of the strength you produce, but that doesn't mean the other factors listed above (and unnamed) will as well. So, if at 150 pounds your muscles produce a total of X strength and every other factor produces Y strength, then at 300 pounds if the muscles increase in strength linearly they will contribute 2X but all other factors would still contribute Y (if they didn't increase at all). So, at 150 pounds, you would have (X+Y) strength and at 300 pounds you would have (2X+Y) strength. Divide those by the respective weights and you get ((X+Y)/150) and ((2X+Y)/300). Divide the lighter guy by the heavier guy to get the ratio and you get (2(X+Y)/(2X+Y)) which is clearly greater than 1.

Another factor to consider is that muscle is composed of portions that increase the force produced when contracted and portions that don't increase the force produced during a contraction (at least not as much). The former would be the actual muscle fibers and the latter would be the sarcoplasm/satellite cells/etc that don't actually directly produce force. So even if you double your muscle mass it doesn't necessarily mean you double the mass of the muscle fibers.

Hopefully that'll clear things up a bit.

so what's the challenge? (can't watch youtube at work)

Benchpress your body weight as many times as possible, then straight to chinups.

Aiming for atleast 30 total reps, Frankie did 55 total, 27 bench and 28 chins.

Benching your bodyweight 27 times is more impressive the heavier you get.

bc most the time the heavier you are, the fatter you are thus its harder to press, right?

I'd say it's the case regardless of whether the weight is fat or muscle. Strength doesn't increase linearly. It's the same reason multiple fold BW lifts are more impressive heavier than at light weights and that we have a wilks formula.

Meh, the strong bench "bros" with chicken legs who dont squat will have the advantage here

Interesting challenge

I think he is beatable .
He has impressively good numbers considering he is a fighter though

I plan on starting the conditioning challenges back up in 2011. Even though this does not incorporate any lower body, I'll do this as the January challenge. Since the pullup/chin bar is probably a different distance away at different gyms, we'll have to make a set time to start your chins. I would think everyone can get to a bar within 30 seconds.

I'd also like to figure out a way to make an even playing field. Obviously lighter guys will have an advantage here.

I can guarantee that my number won't be even close to as good as Frankie's. I may be able to get 20 reps with my bodyweight on bench and 20 chins straight, but not back to back.

Does Frankie weigh 155 between fights? i.e he doesn't cut weight?

Back