Frankie Edgar Bodyweight Challenge

I got 27 total haha
I weigh 205 and got 7 on the bench and 20 chin ups
I did better than i thought

How do you judge whether a chinup counts or not? Frankie had some leg swinging going on. He also wasn't getting very close to fully straightening his arms.

It was impressive, none the less.

I might try this friday. I just started adding in a volume day to my lifts. I weigh 160 and on volume days i usually just load the bar up with 135 and do for as many reps as i can, 60 second break, repeat, 60 second break repeat.

Wiht no leg drive from having my feet on the bench last friday i got 24 reps, 13 reps, 8 reps.... the short break really kills you.

How do you judge whether a chinup counts or not? Frankie had some leg swinging going on. He also wasn't getting very close to fully straightening his arms.

I like to go till my arms lock too, but a lot of people count them saying you have to break at least 90

I just did this today too, but I added squats at the end.

i weigh 170.

18 bench. 23 chin ups. 31 squats.

I was dying. A fun way to kill yourself in less than 5 min.

i honestly believe I could come close to or better Frankie's numbers, but I only weigh about 130-135 in fairness and am quite strong given my weight.

I'd barely count any of his chin-ups, but I guess if you figure it's for the purpose of a high-rep challenge then whatever. If you're not making him pause all his benches at the bottom/keep his feet on the floor/keep his ass on the bench like a contest bench, you can't really be strict on the way you judge the chins either.

This is awesome. I have the same idea and im in the process of doing this. My plan is to be able to lift my body weight in every muscle group. But obviously there are a few muscles that you cant incorperate in the plan due to the size and strength of them. So with my bicepts i lift with both arms, with my calfs i lift with both legs and so on.

I weigh 76kg.

I figure ill reach 80kg and then move on to getting the high number of reps and higher speeds with time.

My spidey-sense tells me you haven't read the FAQ or the Beginners/Intermediate Routines thread.

Interesting. I might try this challenge with squats tacked onto the end of it. It could turn into a good, simple circuit.

I need to lose at least 10 pounds to even contemplate taking on this challenge. My bench is not that bad, I bet I coould bench my BW at least 12 times. My chinups suck tho, I don't normally do that at the gym. I can barbell row my bw for a solid 15 reps tho, don't know if that would count.

i honestly believe I could come close to or better Frankie's numbers, but I only weigh about 130-135 in fairness and am quite strong given my weight.

i am in this same boat.

i am like 5'8, around 140-145ish and i think i could get pretty high #'s. probably not the same as frankie, but def somewhere up in that range.

2 yeras ago i weighed 135 and was able to rep 225 lbs for bench, and probably do around 20 pullups or so.

This isn't that impressive. If you have been weight lifting for a year REGUARLY, you should be able to do this.

Of course...
27 bw reps of bench is easily achievable in a year...:icon_conf

understand that what edgar did is not about being strong, it is about muscular endurance. It certainly helps, in a sense, to be strong, but without the endurance he would not get very many reps. Lw's, or more specifically, guys with smaller frames, should perform better than there heavier counterparts; there is simply a shorter range of motion meaning less work is actually being performed, even relative to weight class. Also, I am by no means an expert on exercise science, but dont chins looked suspiciously similar to half-reps; maybe i can reach the same number by doing quarter-reps? btw, just for shits n gigs, i'm 6'3'', 225, I can press my bw roughly 10-12 times(full reps) and do probably the same number of chins if super-setted with presses(my pr for chins is something like 16).

understand that what edgar did is not about being strong, it is about muscular endurance. It certainly helps, in a sense, to be strong, but without the endurance he would not get very many reps. Lw's, or more specifically, guys with smaller frames, should perform better than there heavier counterparts; there is simply a shorter range of motion meaning less work is actually being performed, even relative to weight class. Also, I am by no means an expert on exercise science, but dont chins looked suspiciously similar to half-reps; maybe i can reach the same number by doing quarter-reps? btw, just for shits n gigs, i'm 6'3'', 225, I can press my bw roughly 10-12 times(full reps) and do probably the same number of chins if super-setted with presses(my pr for chins is something like 16).

Unless you bench flat backed with close grip (like him) your ROM is probably similar on the bench. At 6'3 your wingspan is probably 8-12" larger but that's including your greater shoulder width and both arms. In reality each one of your arms is maybe around 3-5" longer. If you use a wide grip (which I assume you do as most people with large frames) and counting the fact that you definately have a larger chest than him, you're effectively reducing the ROM to similar levels. The endurance is a factor yes, but only when talking about low weight. His ability to get 20reps+ of bw clean, flat backed feet up close grip makes his regular bench max at least in the 1.75x bw category. Basically my point is edgar isn't some sort of 'musclar endurance freak' that can push 27reps of bw bench while only having say a 200 bench max. I'd guess hes pressing at least in the 260s if that weight is 155. If it's 165then he's probably pressing 280ish. If you want to compare your strength relative to him(regardless of bw), put 165 on the bar and see how many total reps you get. I guarantee it won't be that much more.

The chinups are not full, but then again when is the last time you saw anyone do full ROM chest touching the bar deadhang chinups in the gym?

Last edited:
I did the challenge and making sure it was full ROM hurt my performance a lot. I had to slow down and make sure I did everyone.

This is a decent way to test yourself, but his performance wasn't too shocking. I think plenty of mma fighters could perform similarly....at least in the lower weight classes. As others have said, it's more impressive/difficult the heavier you are.

Not to be nitpicky, but what's the point of putting feet up on bench if you're still digging in? and lots of swinging on those chins.

I'm gonna try this today. I know I can get 30 @ 185 flat bench but jumping straight into chins I doubt I'll get more than 20.

Those Chins are very sloppy. Still pretty good.
Gonna try this myself next weekend.

Back