Frank Shamrock's standup style

ambertch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What do you guy's think of Shamrock's standup style he showed against Baroni and Le?

It's kicking supporting boxing. I remember he talked one time about liking to throw the lead legkick among other things with the goal up setting up boxing shots. Sounds deep.

I actually tried that sparring last night, standing in more of my boxing stance and throwing those lead legkicks to try to get a reaction and then go in with the fists. Result was I kept losing balance and got clocked in the face :icon_twis sigh...

I like his style. He should have played with cung less and just smashed him. works good for him though I think overall

I have seen Frank do focus mitts with his boxing coach Tony. He is fluid and hits hard. He can kick but as you saw against Cung it is not his best weapon. He does throw kicks to try to connect with the big right he has good head movement. I saw him spar with Shonnie Carter and he has good speed and footwork as well. I agree he should have done less playing and more business agains Cung!

i stopped paying attention when frank claimed he felt he could outbox actual world class boxers in the ring, not mma; i realized he was feeling himself a little too much

Frank's standup is light years from where it used to be. I remember when he couldn't punches his way out of a paper bag. He worked a lot with Mo Smith back in the day and my kickboxing instructor at the time used to head down there and work with him as well (he was close to Frank's weight). The fact that he can beat guys standing now is pretty insane. He used to be a one trick pony back before he was in the UFC.

better than I thaught it was.. he was looking good against cung le

was that a vertical punch that he used to daze Cung with? i forget exactly, but it came low and straight to lees face.

Frank has his right hand a lot.

I actually thought he was finding his groove late in the 3rd round until he suffered the injury. Le was having problems with Frank's hands in the 3rd. Frank shook him up a little before the kick to the arm.

Frank has his right hand a lot.

I actually thought he was finding his groove late in the 3rd round until he suffered the injury. Le was having problems with Frank's hands in the 3rd. Frank shook him up a little before the kick to the arm.

actually his arm was already broken when he threw that big right hand that rocked cung...cung just sealed the deal with that final kick at the end of the fight. pretty crazy when you think about it, right hand, elbow elbow elbow... all while it's broken. i was there, and i really thought it was over when he landed that right.

actually his arm was already broken when he threw that big right hand that rocked cung...cung just sealed the deal with that final kick at the end of the fight. pretty crazy when you think about it, right hand, elbow elbow elbow... all while it's broken. i was there, and i really thought it was over when he landed that right.

i don't beiieve frank when he says he broke his arm when he did. if it's true then you are 100% correct and he should be commended.

where did you sit? i was there too. good crowd.

i don't beiieve frank when he says he broke his arm when he did. if it's true then you are 100% correct and he should be commended.

where did you sit? i was there too. good crowd.

i was towards the back in the first floor near the dancers :) (i made sure i was near them this time, last time i was on the other side). Anyway, i've rewatched the fight after frank said he broke it in the 2nd round, and there are a number of times that after he gets kicked in his arm, he shakes it off to his side. He said that the final kick was the one that really separated his arm and hurt like hell.

i think the stinging pain frank felt on the arm in the early rounds wasnt the bone breaking, just the pain from the kick. cung said he heard the bone snap when he threw the left kick in the 3rd round. i think frank just wanted to sound more tough by saying he broke his arm in the early rounds and still fought.

i stopped paying attention when frank claimed he felt he could outbox actual world class boxers in the ring, not mma; i realized he was feeling himself a little too much

Please tell me he didnt say that. :icon_sad:

Shamrock is not even a great MMA striker and he thinks he could mix it up with world class boxers. He better have health insurance.

Please tell me he didnt say that. :icon_sad:

Shamrock is not even a great MMA striker and he thinks he could mix it up with world class boxers. He better have health insurance.

yes on an eliteexc interview he said it verbatim

I actually like Frank's stand up style, I think his Jab needs to improve.

i think the stinging pain frank felt on the arm in the early rounds wasnt the bone breaking, just the pain from the kick. cung said he heard the bone snap when he threw the left kick in the 3rd round. i think frank just wanted to sound more tough by saying he broke his arm in the early rounds and still fought.

It's possible that the bone was fractured several times throughout the fight but only became a clean break with that kick near the end of the round.

Cung gave Frank an odd look after the bell rang. He knew it broke. Gary Shaw whispered to him after the fight that Frank's arm was broken and Cung nodded his head and said, "I Know".

Regardless of when the most damage occured Frank got thrashed.

i was towards the back in the first floor near the dancers :) (i made sure i was near them this time, last time i was on the other side). Anyway, i've rewatched the fight after frank said he broke it in the 2nd round, and there are a number of times that after he gets kicked in his arm, he shakes it off to his side. He said that the final kick was the one that really separated his arm and hurt like hell.

i really don't give a shit what anyone says...i approve the dancers.

yea..its not my arm so who am i really to challenge that. i don't dislike Frank I just think he's shady.

Back