Frank Mir

He'll never fight for the title again and I'm ok with that. I'll still watch every one of his fights until he retires though. I'm a huge fan of his and he always puts on great fights (he gets a mulligan for the Cro Cop fight).

Last edited:
Does anyone else think Frank has what it takes to be a champion again, but seems to have checked out mentally?

I re-watched his entire UFC career recently and his fight with JDS was so brutal, it was like he walked in there looking to get KO'd. He didn't seem focused or prepared to do what he needed to do to win the fight. He worked for one TD and seemed content to get kickboxed for the rest of the fight.

If Mir turned himself into a beast wrestler, drilled single legs and double legs for four hours a day, he could have taken down JDS and he's probably the best HW ever in terms of ground game. (Either him or Big Nog, and Mir ripped Nog's arm off)

His current career slump reminds me of his style when he lost to Brandon Vera. Just doesn't seem to be gameplanning right, doesn't seem to have his head in the game.
The dude is talented as fuck and he's not that terrible on his feet. His standup game is definitley a weak area but he could hold his own long enough to secure a TD, if he focused entirely on TD's, IMO.
looks like he lost the sparkle in his eyes

Does anyone else think Frank has what it takes to be a champion again, but seems to have checked out mentally?

very, VERY few fighters have successful careers only at the top of the division for 10+ years.

any fan who says he has "checked out mentally" because he's only been fighting top competition in the UFC for 11 years is a simpleton.

go ahead and give me the 3 or 4 examples (Nog, Couture, etc) who have successfully gone longer than 11 years; i'll give you back 50 or 60 that didn't.

jezuz, people. just because you can log onto the innerwebz doesn't mean you get to completely stop thinking.

Mir can be a fringe contender for a long time if he starts coming into fights with gameplans that aren't stupid as fuck

really TS?he has no shot at JDS,Overeem,Barnett,Cormier,Cain,Carwin,Werdum.

I think Hunt and Bigfoot could beat him too.

And i think Nelson too.

i always thought frank was imtidated by bigger fighters and has horrible striking defense. its sad because before frank got into his motorcycle accident he had amazing potential that accident really slowed him down. and lets be honest here frank mirs chin has completely failed him in important fights.

He's a great submission fighter but even within his BJJ he has never shown sweeps or an ability to get back to his feet. Once he has gassed out muscling his first sub attempt over his cup he can be held down and pounded.

Also his overconfidence on the feet has been getting him beat up badly lately.

He's a great submission fighter but even within his BJJ he has never shown sweeps or an ability to get back to his feet. Once he has gassed out muscling his first sub attempt over his cup he can be held down and pounded.

what the fuck are you talking about?

Agreed with everything except the last sentence.

I think Frank is one of the most interesting "What could have been?" stories. That motorcycle accident took something, I'm not sure exactly what to pinpoint, but something from him. Whatever it was, you could tell that he was not the same Mir that broke Timmeh's forearm, demolished Tank, etc.

Sure, he was successful after it, but what if the accident never happened? I believe he'd be more than he has been throughout his career.

I'm a fan and just the fact he's still around competing on a
high level is a miracle, here's a guy that fought in UFC 34.

I think Frank is one of the most interesting "What could have been?" stories. That motorcycle accident took something, I'm not sure exactly what to pinpoint, but something from him. Whatever it was, you could tell that he was not the same Mir that broke Timmeh's forearm, demolished Tank, etc.

Sure, he was successful after it, but what if the accident never happened? I believe he'd be more than he has been throughout his career.

explosiveness on the feet. he actually used to be able to shoot in really quick, he was just lacking the wrestling to take it down to the ground. although i think the accident took away some of his mobility, it also gave him a lot more mental toughness after he got over his depression around the time he beat Hardonk/Lesnar.

Love Mir but I can't see him taking the belt again.
He will be a perpetual top ten till he retires tho.

In my opinion, the division is thin enough that he will get two more cracks at it before he is done. I do see him winning the title, but it will, in practice, depend on the opponent and his cardio (he's been able to have the gas at his weight, so I think it is reasonably possible).

I'm a Mir fan, but his chances of beating anyone in the top five are slim, and they get slimmer the closer you get to JDS.

His time as a top flight HW is coming to an end. Frank seems like a bright guy with plenty of aspirations after fighting. I'd be surprised if he were around past 2013.

He's a great fighter the issue with Mir has always been overconfidence. Mir seems so calm in the octagon not because he has checked out but because he honestly believes no one can touch him. This can be shown by him telling his corner he was fine on the ground with Brock before getting smashed, or how relaxed he looked against Nog that led to him getting clipped. He has amazing BJJ especially for a heavyweight and is a better striker than people give him credit for (knocking out Cro-Cop, rocking Kongo) but his wrestling isn't good enough for him to use his BJJ on his terms and his striking will always be outclassed by the top hw strikers. He doesn't have the ability to beat a guy like JDS or Cain but he is still a top hw and vastly underrated

JDS no but I think he has a great chance to beat Cain seeing as cains strength plays right into Mir's strength also I reckon Mir's striking is better then cain's.

Just my opinion tho.

He's a great fighter the issue with Mir has always been overconfidence. Mir seems so calm in the octagon not because he has checked out but because he honestly believes no one can touch him. This can be shown by him telling his corner he was fine on the ground with Brock before getting smashed, or how relaxed he looked against Nog that led to him getting clipped. He has amazing BJJ especially for a heavyweight and is a better striker than people give him credit for (knocking out Cro-Cop, rocking Kongo) but his wrestling isn't good enough for him to use his BJJ on his terms and his striking will always be outclassed by the top hw strikers. He doesn't have the ability to beat a guy like JDS or Cain but he is still a top hw and vastly underrated

Also you are right about him being overrelaxed in his fights it makes him careless.

Back