Frank Mir

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Does anyone else think Frank has what it takes to be a champion again, but seems to have checked out mentally?

I re-watched his entire UFC career recently and his fight with JDS was so brutal, it was like he walked in there looking to get KO'd. He didn't seem focused or prepared to do what he needed to do to win the fight. He worked for one TD and seemed content to get kickboxed for the rest of the fight.

If Mir turned himself into a beast wrestler, drilled single legs and double legs for four hours a day, he could have taken down JDS and he's probably the best HW ever in terms of ground game. (Either him or Big Nog, and Mir ripped Nog's arm off)

His current career slump reminds me of his style when he lost to Brandon Vera. Just doesn't seem to be gameplanning right, doesn't seem to have his head in the game.
The dude is talented as fuck and he's not that terrible on his feet. His standup game is definitley a weak area but he could hold his own long enough to secure a TD, if he focused entirely on TD's, IMO.

I dont think so. He has great BJJ but crappy TDs.

He is an OK striker but does not posses overwhelming speed or power.

He is definitely dangerouse, but he will never be champ again.

he's too calm in the ring for his own good and through his overly technical and slow approach, he tends to eat punches for dinner (Nog II, Carwin, Brock, JDS). He's definitely in the history books, not sure if he can continue to be a top 10 much longer (Cormier should easily beat Mir). He's fun to watch. I think he still has nightmares about Brock, he hasn't been the same since Brock loss.

Mir got me into this sport. My favorite.

But no, he won't. And this is the best post to explain it

He has pretty slow hands, and pretty bad wrestling.

That's the thing, if he exclusively worked on his TD's he could be a real force. He has great BJJ, great top control, a great bottom game - he's awesome everywhere on the ground.

At the very least he could grind out a decision against any top fighter if he focued on TD's the entire fight, IMO.
Keep people pressed against the cage defending that TD, get the TD, work for subs and retain top control. He could win plenty of UD's this way and work his way back up, and he'd probably get some HL reel subs too, and plenty of sub-of-the-night bonuses.

He just doesn't seem to have the drive to improve his wrestling. 4 hours of TD drills every day for a year and watch Mir fuck guys up!!

sigh. The Brock loss probably did soften him up. The guy who said that was right.

I disagree! Frank Mir is certainly one of the most talented HW BJJ practitioners but his striking has never been that great and his takedowns are awful! The new bread of HW MMA fighters like Cain and JDS are simply to well versed for Frank to compete. Hours of training single legs and double legs at this point in his career won't help!

He's lucky he didn't fight Cormier, or else he would have gotten rag dolled.

That's the thing, if he exclusively worked on his TD's he could be a real force. He has great BJJ, great top control, a great bottom game - he's awesome everywhere on the ground.

Nah, man he has really bad defense on the ground.

I love his aggressive subs, he throws them out like a madman and has made a career out of these great highlights, but because of this he's not closing up, he eats a lot of shots when he's on the bottom.

Hence the Brock fights.

God I hated his Brock 2 gameplan.

The real problem with him now is his speed,the guy became SO slow over the years.I do believe if he understood that,he could be a real threat to the champion.

Big fan of Mir.....but no he won't be champ again..

It always disheartens me to see how slow he is.....he is unbelievably slow.

And what we see of his training, seems to mostly consist of punching mitts......very slowly.

I'm one of the biggest Mir fans here, and i vote no. I just don't see any version of Mir being able to beat Cain or JDS.

He has power. Dropped Nog and Kongo.

He eats to many shots and his chin can't handle it.

He has power. Dropped Nog and Kongo.

He eats to many shots and his chin can't handle it.

Yeah, I guess he does have some decent power. He is still way too slow and is not aggressive enough.

I think he is so focused on being technical that he forgets that he is in a fight and has to impose his will on the other guy.

Mir seems to have stalled for some reason. He decided to work on nutrition and striking a couple years ago, but became content once he'd improved each of those. The next step is to close his remaining holes (eg wrestling) and integrate everything. Not sure at this point he'll ever achieve all that.

Mir reminds me of Belfort. Popular, always hanging around the top 10, given the occasional title shot, one punch (Belfort) or sub (Mir) away from winning a belt from anyone on the planet...but it never seems to all come together. Mir with the HW belt again? Possible but not probable.

I dont think he can.....I dont see him beating any of the top 3 HWs in the UFC now.

Although...I dont think he's in a slump..he's only lost to JDS recently and prior to that he had 3 solid wins in a row over Nog, Nelson and Cro Cop. His next fight is going to be very interesting in the sense it will direct the rest of his career.

Back