Frank Mir

Mir hasn't been the same since Lesner and Carwin scrambled his brains. Won't be a champ again

Ever since he bulked up for his fights against Brock he's lost any speed that he used to have. His takedowns are some of the worst of any relevant HW and have never seemed to improve. The combination of those two things would make it pretty much impossible for him to get the fight to a position to use his BJJ skills against any of the top HW's. So no, I don't see Mir having any chance of reclaiming a title in the UFC.

That's the thing, if he exclusively worked on his TD's he could be a real force. He has great BJJ, great top control, a great bottom game - he's awesome everywhere on the ground.

At the very least he could grind out a decision against any top fighter if he focued on TD's the entire fight, IMO.
Keep people pressed against the cage defending that TD, get the TD, work for subs and retain top control. He could win plenty of UD's this way and work his way back up, and he'd probably get some HL reel subs too, and plenty of sub-of-the-night bonuses.

He just doesn't seem to have the drive to improve his wrestling. 4 hours of TD drills every day for a year and watch Mir fuck guys up!!

sigh. The Brock loss probably did soften him up. The guy who said that was right.

This doesn't happen in real life. Sometimes a hole in your game is just a hole in your game. You can improve, but everyone has a ceiling. Mir knows he's not a wrestler just like Brock Lesnar knows he's not a kickboxer. He can go from bad to mediocre, but he's still gonna get planted by any decent HW wrestler.
Rather than improve his wrestling, he should focus on what he's good at to make up for it. At his age, he's not gonna get much better at anything. His boxing is decent. That will be his key to getting takedowns more than anything else.

mir's striking defense hasn't looked so hot lately. he's still strong as an ox with a beastly ground game, but he's not getting a championship.

I stopped reading after you thought he could take him down.

Shane Carwin had a hard enough time taking JDS down and he didn't even get him down on his back, he just got him in a sitting position and JDS got up almost immediately

he's too calm in the ring for his own good and through his overly technical and slow approach, he tends to eat punches for dinner (Nog II, Carwin, Brock, JDS). He's definitely in the history books, not sure if he can continue to be a top 10 much longer (Cormier should easily beat Mir). He's fun to watch. I think he still has nightmares about Brock, he hasn't been the same since Brock loss.

This sums it up pretty good. Imo he should retire and pick up commentating again. I think he should replace Kenny. The only fight I would want to see him in is Barnett. I really like the guy but when he loses it always looks brutal. I don

Mir is not in a slump. He's the same guy he's always been, with the same skill set IMO.

Great subs, passable offensive standup, poor defense, average wrestling, explosive and athletic on the mat but slow and plodding on the feet, doesn't like getting hit.

He's always been this guy. He's had a very good career but I don't think he'll get anywhere near the belt again. Still plenty of good fights out there for him though.

Win or lose seems to always seems to be very dramatic, even in his slow motion knee that ended the Crocop fight

He's just too slooooooooow to hang with the big boys (top tier HWs).

He needs to drop weight & change training camps if he wants to stay relevant.

he's too calm in the ring for his own good and through his overly technical and slow approach, he tends to eat punches for dinner (Nog II, Carwin, Brock, JDS). He's definitely in the history books, not sure if he can continue to be a top 10 much longer (Cormier should easily beat Mir). He's fun to watch. I think he still has nightmares about Brock, he hasn't been the same since Brock loss.

That is one of the most valid points to sum up Frank Mir. I was surpised at how relaxed he was against the cage with Carwin and we all know what happen next.

He's so slick at Jitz Striking has improved. I believe it's his approach so lethargic.
**DAVE Camarillo mentioned how SOME BJJ guys tend to relax even in competition. The guys are artful they way they catch people in subs, but in mma even if you're working on a sub the other guy is constantly damaging you while you work on it, turning the situation beneficial to them.

The old school zen BJJ won't catch anyone off guard bc everyone at least understands bjj defense on a basic level now.

BJ Penn, Mir, Even Nate Diaz do this passive minimal energy thing where they relax and let the other guy make a mistake. Guys now know how to defend bjj, and look for attacks on the way, on top of that they found ways to hit and punish in response to sub attempts. I feel like modern MMA uses BJJ mostly for passing guard and avoiding subs, Maybe subs from the top. I miss the days when Dudes can submit someone unexpectedly ala Shogun vs Randleman.

He's one of my favorite fighters ever... But, he's just too comfortable with where he is. He needs something to kick him out of complacency.

Big Mir fan here.

His gameplan against JDS wasn't all that bad, except for the fact that he is (and never will be) a wrestler. The only way for him to pull JDS to the ground, is well..just that. He should have attempted to pull guard on him at least a couple of times. Mir also has solid boxing.

What he needs to do is lose around 10-15 pounds (get in the 240-245 range), gain some speed from this, and improve his boxing even more. Kongo was a solid striker and Mir put him down with ease, as well as Big Nog. He just looks slow and uncomfortable trying to strike at the weight he's at now.

Does anyone else think Frank has what it takes to be a champion again, but seems to have checked out mentally?

I re-watched his entire UFC career recently and his fight with JDS was so brutal, it was like he walked in there looking to get KO'd. He didn't seem focused or prepared to do what he needed to do to win the fight. He worked for one TD and seemed content to get kickboxed for the rest of the fight.

If Mir turned himself into a beast wrestler, drilled single legs and double legs for four hours a day, he could have taken down JDS and he's probably the best HW ever in terms of ground game. (Either him or Big Nog, and Mir ripped Nog's arm off)

His current career slump reminds me of his style when he lost to Brandon Vera. Just doesn't seem to be gameplanning right, doesn't seem to have his head in the game.
The dude is talented as fuck and he's not that terrible on his feet. His standup game is definitley a weak area but he could hold his own long enough to secure a TD, if he focused entirely on TD's, IMO.

Yes, but I think he took the wrong approach when he bulked up. He lost his speed and agility, especially standing, i don't think his new strenght in any compensates for that so, hopefully, he will realize that and change. Being sloppy ( while standing and during take downs) is the worst thing you can do against guys like JDS, Cain, overeem, etc.

On the ground he can still rape each and everyone of them like he did Nog.

Mir needs to get back to this kind of shape. He's much too slow now.

FrankMir6.jpg

Back