Francis Ngannou: Won't fight in UFC again under current deal after title defense

Ngannou’s agent said they were just about settled on the contract before the interim title came up. He also said this isn’t just about the money. I’ve heard from a couple of spots that they had already settled on the money part.

Not sure if the boxing part is holding up the contract but if the interim belt caused a sticking point it seems like it might be more than that? Does Francis want reassurances that they won’t make another interim belt if they are willing to fight x times a year?

“ Ngannou was never my friend. “

Dana White.

Uncle Dana going to throw Ngannou under four buses and tarnish up his name real good for crossing over to boxing. Could you imagine if Belichick trashed Brady for going to Tampa? That shit would never be tolerated in the NFL because athletes over there have Players Association, Health care, etc. Uncle Dana needs to be checked.

I really hope this all goes well for Francis. I assume he'll resign.

But I wouldnt be surprised if Francis accidentally proves how valuable the UFC logo is when selling MMA fights.

He gets highlight of the year on Gane, but can't out draw UFC's Sarah Poodgie vs Kelly McWhite card on ESPN 5 after.

Yes it's 1 year. Which will be over soon. It's almost a year already in March 27. That's when the champions clause will end and he's a free agent.

According to the article you posted about scenario 2 of champions clause.
  • Ngannou's contract expired May 20th 2021
  • 79 days later Ngannou turned down a fight for August 7, 2021 which then paused Ngannou's contract via tolling for 6 months until February 7th 2022
  • Starting February 8th 2022 Ngannou has 286 days left(10 months) on his contract OR he has to fight two more times(He will have fulfilled 1 out of the 3 fights from UFC 270)
  • Nothing in the standard language of the champion’s clause says the extension term expires if a Ngannou loses his title.He already had the champion's clause enacted and it would be in progress.

Essentially article states Ngannou is a free agent late November 2022 unless he fights 2 more times after UFC 270. Let me know if is not correct because thats what I am reading in the language.

UFC are so dumb. They have the perfect type of big scary African UFC champion to promote, and make a lot of money from yet they are trying to stiff him. Such a waste. Francis is right, 500k for who he is in the ufc is a joke.

Those clauses are not being written in to many recent contracts. I can't say all, but it's likely ngannou does not have that clause in his contract. The more recent contracts are 5 years max from the time of their first fight under the contract with 2 year add ons for all images due to their use in the UFC video game.

There has to be some kind of champions clause or he would be gone already since his contract already expire last May.

The big question is if from UFC's perspective they still have him after this fight via tolling because he turned down Aug 7th 2021 fight so that would have paused his contract for 6 months so he would still have time with the UFC until the end of year.

If he focus on his trade and put a hell of a fight, money will come.

There has to be some kind of champions clause or he would be gone already since his contract already expire last May.

The big question is if from UFC's perspective they still have him after this fight via tolling because he turned down Aug 7th 2021 fight so that would have paused his contract for 6 months so he would still have time with the UFC until the end of year.

No, he signed a 5 year contract in December 2017.

According to the interview, Ngannou believes there is a five-year expiration clause in his current contract, so if he beats Gane the contract would still expire in December 2022. He plans to beat Gane and wait out the contract.

Pretty sure UFC is not going to agree with this interpretation.
Why, have you studied his contract?

Good luck to him. I’m not sure how these contracts somehow expire after 5 years. I think it would be something we would have heard during other contract disputes. I actually hope it is something new to shake things up.

Forbes article says 40 month contract with effective date January 20, 2018 https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulgi...ngannou-become-a-free-agent/?sh=7da17a685f78\

He told mma fighting he signed a 5yr deal in december 2017. However, he does mention a champions' clause so looks like I'm wrong about that.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/1/...ons-will-not-fight-for-500000-600000-any-more

"Ngannou said he signed a deal with the UFC in December 2017 – prior to his first heavyweight title shot in a fight against Stipe Miocic at UFC 220 – that had a five-year term. However, he said the champion’s clause in his contract also states that should he hold the title at its expiration, he would be bound to the promotion for one year or three fights."

He told mma fighting he signed a 5yr deal in december 2017. However, he does mention a champions' clause so looks like I'm wrong about that.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/1/...ons-will-not-fight-for-500000-600000-any-more

"Ngannou said he signed a deal with the UFC in December 2017 – prior to his first heavyweight title shot in a fight against Stipe Miocic at UFC 220 – that had a five-year term. However, he said the champion’s clause in his contract also states that should he hold the title at its expiration, he would be bound to the promotion for one year or three fights."

In there he says 40 months.

“The UFC contract is very tricky,” he said. “That’s why you sign [a 40-month] contract and you find yourself after four years still dealing with that, even though you have been active.”

His contract expired May 2021 so at that point he had 1 year or 3 fights for the championship clause. Because Ngannou turned down Aug 7th tolling kicked in so an additional 6 months.

"According to Ngannou he is on the last fight of his contract, a contract that was supposed to have terminated on May 20th earlier this year. Unfortunately a few days after capturing the title from Stipe Miocic at UFC 260, Ngannou says the promotion extended it."
"Because Ngannou had been unavailable for the August match, his contract was extended another 6 months."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/10...-toughest-opponent-ufc-contract-mma-editorial

Give him the Fury fight. Let him get slept, then let him work his way back up.

In there he says 40 months.

“The UFC contract is very tricky,” he said. “That’s why you sign [a 40-month] contract and you find yourself after four years still dealing with that, even though you have been active.”

His contract expired May 2021 so at that point he had 1 year or 3 fights for the championship clause. Because Ngannou turned down Aug 7th tolling kicked in so an additional 6 months.

"According to Ngannou he is on the last fight of his contract, a contract that was supposed to have terminated on May 20th earlier this year. Unfortunately a few days after capturing the title from Stipe Miocic at UFC 260, Ngannou says the promotion extended it."
"Because Ngannou had been unavailable for the August match, his contract was extended another 6 months."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/10...-toughest-opponent-ufc-contract-mma-editorial

but he also says he signed a 5 year contract in December 2017, as I quoted above.

Well now Francis has certainly put himself up against a wall with all the pressure on his shoulders... Now it's "win big or STFU time, because all this yap about "im not going to do this unless I get paid the big$ before I even have the big $ fight" is going to get him nowhere but up shit creek if he gets schooled over 5 rounds. And the alternative for Francis? Last I checked there weren't too many other MMA leagues, and this dude will NEVER be able to be competitive in HW boxing. Just not going to happen. True he is a specimen for sure, but that is because he already has the genetics, plus the dude was shoveling sand every day since 8 years old or some ridiculous shit, so he is for real naturally jacked as hell without the roids, and one of the only people in the world who I would actually believe that story from. I know, Anthony Joshua is an exception, and Wladimir Klitchko was pretty freakin jacked, but we all saw in the first Stipe fight what this guy looks like in deep water- He sinks like a giant turd. , and that ain't changing with a few tough camps. So kiss your options goodbye big guy, Dana got yo ass.

Frustrated, Francis decides to try his luck in the private sector to pursue his American dream. After all, he has already made it this far from the harsh environment from which he came. He found an entry level job opening at a major local insurance company, somehow found some business casual attire he didn't rip through, and sat down for an interview with the human resources hiring staff:
HR: "Hello Mr. Nganou, thank you so much for taking an interest in our company, we are very excited to speak with you."
Francis: "Thank you."
HR: " OK, now let's take a look at your resume here.... OK, so I see here that you have quite a bit of experience with shoveling sand......"
Francis:

Back