1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Francis Ngannou: Won't fight in UFC again under current deal after title defense

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dbreiden83080, Jan 13, 2022.

1. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

His contract is not expired if there is a champion clause as it is believed. He would be making more than just a straight "X" amount.

I get it. he wants a $20 million or more payday by boxing Fury. He can then ride off into the sunset because he won't be boxing for big purses after Fury smokes his ass.

2. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

IF he wins his next fight there is a champion clause...so everyone eludes to. I understand how negotiations work...he keeps saying after this fight he want's to put boxing in his contract with the UFC.

If his contract is truly up, if he can't get big money with the UFC, then go box. Go get your ass handed to you against Fury. Ride off into the sunset. I doubt Fury calls him out if Gane wins. Fury will eye Gane instead. Fury just wants to prove boxing is better than MMA. He wants to take out the perceived best at MMA to prove a point.

3. joeson Yellow Card Yellow Card

The champion clause is 3 fights or 1 year, whichever comes first. He does not have to take those fights, which means his contract is effectively expired after the term. He didn't approach the UFC with a demand for a new contract, the UFC approached him because they knew his contract was coming to an end. All he is doing is refusing to sign a new contract until he gets the terms he is looking for – which is exactly how contract negotiations are supposed to work.

4. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

Great! I wish him the best.

5. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

Well then, maybe it will work for him, either way.

If he goes to box and his first fight is Fury, he gets smoked. At least he probably gets a really nice payday, doubtful it's $100 million or whatever Conor supposedly got paid to fight Mayweather.

6. froggyluv Brown Belt

Utter embarrassment that the Heavyweight Champion of the Company's self proclaimed "Baddest Man on the Planet" - better than Boxing - makes so little and is but a blip on the radar compared to the HeavyWeight Boxing Champs.

"We are the best but please bring your own snacks and lunch..."
    UFC's become a joke.

what-wut likes this.
  7. joeson Yellow Card Yellow Card

That's not true. The UFC definitely pays for the snacks.

8. froggyluv Brown Belt

Nah Reebox does - remember the "You too can be Conor!" business seminar they did for the fighters a few years back?

9. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Serious question here. Lets assume Ngannou really wants to hold out for the big cash. If he wins, particularly in spectacular fashion, he could just give the UFC 60 days to give him the big money. And if they don't, couldn't he just abdicate? He would not be a champ and he would not have a contract. After a 90 day exclusivity period, he's free.

ReasonableMan likes this.
  10. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

GSP was pretty open and honest about going to head to head with the UFC during his career with contract negotiations and he usually won. That’s all Francis is really trying to do. I commend him for it. The UFC goes out of their way to put all of these little restrictions in the contract that are so geared towards the company, and completely against the fighter.

I certainly hope he is not so desperate for a huge payday he’s willing to take a bad beating from Tyson fury in a boxing ring. But maybe he is. Shows you how pathetic the pay scale is in the UFC.

JosephTessaro likes this.
  11. ReasonableMan White Belt

My guess is he would still be under contract.

My understanding is that the contract extends automatically if Ngannou beats Gane, regardless of whether Ngannou relinquishes the belt. I'm not even sure that Ngannou has the legal ability to relinquish his championship status without the UFC agreeing to it. Maybe there's a Sherbro who has seen one of these contracts and can comment further.

12. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

And Ngannou deserves as much as he can get paid. The problem with the MMA market, the UFC pays their guys more than other organizations. It is truly pathetic because some guys make the company shit tons and they aren't paid what they, or the general MMA community think they are worth.

It doesn't seem like Francis just wants to box, he's just said he wants more money, which I get. It appears he is trying to get a new contract with the UFC (from tid bits of interviews and reading) to allow him to box, allow him to get that big payday.

I don't think the UFC wants to see him get dismantled against Fury, which is more than likely the outcome. That's probably why the UFC doesn't want their "champ" to box. I don't think the UFC is willing to pay Ngannou enough money not to box. Fury is fueling the fire...

Dbreiden83080 likes this.
  13. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

I’m not sure Tyson really wants to fight him honestly. I mean he only has a couple of fights left himself. He should be all about his legacy at the stage of the game. Maybe he’s just trying to help Francis out with this contract negotiation to a certain extent.

Tyson seems like a cool dude from that perspective. I think he would do that.

JosephTessaro likes this.
  14. Poirierfan Down South

No, he'd rather make some real money, there's a difference.

15. Poirierfan Down South

He would have to have 30 more fights in the UFC to make what he'll make fighting one boxing match, it's a no brainer. The UFC is shit.

CockBoyPwned and what-wut like this.
  16. PokerandMMA Black Belt

These contracts have an end date on them to expire. I remember reading Ngannou would just need to wait a year. I could be totally wrong on this though.

17. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

Thats what he is banking on,I believe.

PokerandMMA likes this.
  18. SashaIsABot What ? Never seen a Christmas predator panda ant ? Platinum Member

I thought he especially liked boxing too. Regardless of the money I mean, which is of course a big factor there.

Poirierfan likes this.
  19. surrealworlds Black Belt

No matter what happens i like it.
    1)Francis KOs Gane in devastating fashion and we all get to watch Danas head explode as he realizes he has to pay up or let him walk.
    This will be fun because it might expose a weakness in the contracts. What do you do if the guy signed a contract saying 5 years or x amount of fights anf he finishes the fights and the years but is now champ. Yes i know it can be extended but thats a bad look for the UFC.
    2)Gane picks apart Ngannou, greatly diminshing his value. Gane continues as champ, Ngannou gets to see what life outside of the UFC is like. Maybe he gets paid maybe not.

20. FIghtxIQ Black Belt

Yup it's a win/win for him. He fights the best HW currently and no one is expecting him to win. If he does well or some how ends up winning it'll be huge. Another payday for the rematch. Even if he loses he lost to the best HW, everyone has a loss fighting Fury. He can still have more boxing fights after that and it'll be his biggest paydays. A Wilder fight after Fury would also be a good match up. If he can't get Fury first, a Wilder fight would also be good. But with the way boxing's HW division is playing out right now, they may be able to fit in a fight with Ngannou vs Fury fight this year.