• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Francis Ngannou has made $30 million from two boxing matches. He only made $3.5 million from 14 UFC fights in 7 years!

The money fights are in boxing

Wilder and Fury both tried to get Ngannou and said they'd be willing to fight in UFC, same with Bud Crawford saying he'd fight whoever but not for small money.

I think plenty of boxers would but UFC doesn't operate like boxing. Letting some big name boxer come in and fight strickland or adesanya when they were champions has so little upside and potential huge downside.

And I don't think MMA guys wanna test themselves they just want a payday.

Adesanya, Anderson Silva, Derrick Lewis, Tuivasa, Mike Perry, Chris Lytle, etc all did professional boxing before or during their MMA careers and were all mediocre.

Omalley wants gervonta davis, but likely would get creamed by any top 50 I'm his weight class.

Couldn't disagree more. And I have been a life long boxing fan. I get it they are all prize fighters but you can't tout boxers are better when like I reiterate over and over they don't test themselves in mma. I'm certain the money would be right for the particular fight but I have to think these boxers are all talk no walk if it comes to mma

Not really I would have expected a few rounds if he had even a reasonable amount of hard sparring with real heavyweights. Doesn't even look like he spars boxing seriously when you watch the way he fights - no ability to change distance or cover when he's hurt. I see the youtubes of him taking lessons from Tyson but that's it.
Did you happen to watch him fight the HW champ?

Well done getting money you were after but I doubt Francis gets more than 3-5 million in another fight.

There was interest in the Joshua fight because Fury showed up out of shape and didnt take it seriously. It went the distance and all of a sudden people thought Ngannou had a shot at Joshua. Now its been settled and Joshua Ko'd Ngannou unconscious there will be very little interest in Ngannou fighting a big money again. So his next fight would not be for big $$$$ Fury previously said he would fight Francis again if he beat Joshua but we know how that fight went.

Francis should be smart go back to MMA or retire. You can take too many Kos's like that in Boxing.

Couldn't disagree more. And I have been a life long boxing fan. I get it they are all prize fighters but you can't tout boxers are better when like I reiterate over and over they don't test themselves in mma. I'm certain the money would be right for the particular fight but I have to think these boxers are all talk no walk if it comes to mma
I don't think boxers are better.

I think both sports are just full of guys trying to maximize a payday so it's all one way.

Outside of heavyweight, I don't see any high level guys winning in the opposite sport.

I don't think boxers are better.

I think both sports are just full of guys trying to maximize a payday so it's all one way.

Outside of heavyweight, I don't see any high level guys winning in the opposite sport.
I do. Bud Crawford could win in mma if given the right opponent. Like Conor who won't wrestle him. Bud was a highly decorated wrestler in nebraska and still trains a bit here and there so I give him a shot

He got exposed only to people who don't know shit. Since the first fight went in just the opposite direction against the champ, it is not any kind of re-affirmation. Frank needs to improve his skills to box at that level (which we all knew before this fight), but he fought the champ and a top contender and got close with a knockdown and a split decision many thought he won against the champ. He did great considering his first boxing matches were against the best, a standard literally no one else has ever had to live up to.

Its an absurd and unprecedented standard.

Your first boxing fight in your entire career is against the heavyweight GOAT of this generation, in the discussion for all time HW fighter. Second fight is against perhaps the second or third best heavyweight of this generation.

He didn't actually though. $10 million was what he was projected to make for the Fury fight, and Fury was projected to make $50 million, but the event bombed and Fury only actually made $32m, so proportionately Francis probably made closer to $7m. We don't know how the PPV with Joshua did yet, so we'll see there. He also made $3.5 million in the UFC by choice. They offered him a new contract when he won the title and could have made $5 million for the Gane fight and turned it down.

He still made more per bout with boxing, but it likely wasn't that much more than he would have made if he'd beaten Jones and had another 2 defenses after.
And he might have had a lot less brain damage. Everyone who watched that fight got second-hand CTE

I hope he continues boxing.

Yeah there was something to watch there. I really think Tyson Fury should retire.
You must have not seen him lately. He is a mountain of muscle and looking great in training.

Dana only trying to protect the fighters from themselves. Such an altruistic saint, that man.

I genuinely do think fighter pay is a major issue in the UFC, and many guys in the sport are getting fucked over by the promotion big time.

I do not, however, think that Francis was one of those guys. The UFC offered him a staggering 8M alone for the Jon Jones fight and he turned it down. It is arguable whether he even deserved such a figure given the fact that he was not a major draw himself and yet the UFC did their part.

Francis thought it was not enough and he saw greater opportunities elsewhere, which he was correct in assuming and it paid off. Good for him, but I do not think the UFC did anything wrong to Francis. He wanted more pay, they offered him a substantial increase, but the bitter truth is as soon as the boxing bag was dangled in front of him , it did not matter how much the UFC was coughing up, he was already gone.

I dont believe for one second that Ngannou only made $3.5m in his entire UFC career. He most likely made more than that from his last two fights.

UFC money isnt anywhere near big time Canelo, Fury, AJ boxing money but it feels like the money they actually do make is getting downplayed to make things seem more extreme than they actually are. You think O'Malley didnt make seven figures just now? really?

$30 million and a shattered jaw. If we fight and I hit him first he is ktfo again. Not to mention his legacy took a hit.

Still a rich man.

Retire. Cut ties with the entourage before he blows all his money. And disappear. Live a modest and low key life. And invest some of that money into a modest, low key and stable business for his and his family's future.

That is what he should do now. Anybody telling him otherwise is pigheaded at best...malicious at worst

Shall Francis try to invest in real estate or stay away from that? I mean how much does a studioroom cost in Manhattan?

His purse might have been 20mil but boxing is notorious for managers taking huge chunks of fighter purses. I remember when Buster Douglas got a $30 million purse against Holyfield but he claimed he saw less than $2 million of that. Granted taxes were involved but still, these numbers don't necessarily represent reality.
On the other hans this fight took place in Saudi Arabia=zero tax

He essentially played MMA and used it as a springboard to pimp out MMA and his legacy for a couple of boxing handouts.

He has now made MMA the punchline of every meme this week… congrats Frankie

GIMT8dTXkAA-t-r.jpg:large
That's definitely the haters take. Tyrun did it first, but casuals forget. At least Big Frank went for the jugular and set himself up. Cryrun got slept by a skinny fat Disney kid.

His purse might have been 20mil but boxing is notorious for managers taking huge chunks of fighter purses. I remember when Buster Douglas got a $30 million purse against Holyfield but he claimed he saw less than $2 million of that. Granted taxes were involved but still, these numbers don't necessarily represent reality.

Shannon Briggs made 0$ from his toughest fight for the title ,
against Klitschko,
he got hurt badly and was paid nothing

his managers had a clever company setup "to pay him more",
ended up paying him nothing after the fight,
because they tought he was done, so they stiffed him from all his purse

people on forums talk about how boxing pay is so great

but they are so many past champions who are broke

thumbs up to Francis

in 2 boxing match , he made retirement money
and can decide to do whatever he want

as a fan,