• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Forehead punches are fight ending. Is it a new offensive weapon (Chandler vs. Bendo)?

Makes sense. That shot would rattle your brain, more so than the jaw. The behind the ear has that same jello effect on the brain.

Close. It's devastating as a shot because the skull takes all of the shock of the punch, whereas a shot to the face or the jaw is largely absorbed, especially when someone rolls, by the muscles in the neck.

The shot behind the ear discombobulates people badly for a similar reason. The same neck muscles that act as shock absorbers end behind the ear. Thus, they also absorb less shock at this point. The vestibular system in your ear takes a massive shock and you suffer a severe disorientation as a result. And when someone continues to load more shots on top, you have little hope to recover.

Makes sense. That shot would rattle your brain, more so than the jaw. The behind the ear has that same jello effect on the brain.
The forehead is the hardest part of the body and you're actually taught to try and take a punch in the forehead if possible since there is a high likely hood of breaking your opponents hand hurting them far more than you.

The jaw has a nerve behind it that when pinched results in the involuntary shut down of the body, much like behind the ear and the Liver.

All the punches posted here thus far actually land on the front edge of the temple which also causes an involuntary reaction disrupting the equilibrium and turning your limbs into jello temporarily.

The only true "Forehead" finishing strike, (though still not a knockout) I can think of is when MVP caved Cyborgs Forehead in with a flying knee which in 30 years as a combat sports fan I have never seen anything like.

I'll go down on a broad a 'fore she gives me head.

Is the what forehead punching means?

Trying WAY too hard. Barely sophomoric sexual pun. You will never contend for my title.

<----------------------------------

Hardest part of the head. More likely to break your own fingers if you land wrong than to KO your opponent.

Here's proof that OP is wrong. Weidman throws pretty much the perfect elbow on an opponent coming in, right on the forehead.

weidmanko.gif

And yet all he got was a knock down and still had to throw what looked like 20 just bleed punches on Munoz for the ref to stop the fight.

the Henderson punch was on the top of the head and the Herbert punch looked on the forehead but all these other punches look like they're on the temple.

i don't know about the Herbert punch, but the Henderson punch he was already compromised from the punch earlier, the 2nd punch was basically the same as this:
62cc4b9b20c80584-600x338.gif
Dude. Not cool. Don't post people getting killed

Hardest part of the head. More likely to break your own fingers/hand if you land wrong than to KO your opponent.

I can tell you 100% for sure punching the forehead bare knuckle will put your hand in a cast, actually had it happen 2x in my younger days. It wouldn’t seem like a very good strategy to hit the hardest most protected area of the skull and expect there to be only a positive outcome. The gifs pictured I’m sure were a result of the shot being uncorked and the opponent dropping his head, far from calculated... the same thing that happened when I broke my hand both time, definitely not by design.

Breaking the 5th metacarpal bone in the hand is Called the boxers break and usually occurs from punching hard objects... Like someone’s Forehead...LoL
<Fedor23>

Last edited:
Not it wouldn’t the jaw is a leverage point, the forehead is not, the forehead is also the most dense part of the human head, many fighters used to lead with their forehead (Holyfeild, chavez, tua) they would crowd punches coming in in forehead first

A lot of the Bendo ko has to do with the fact that he was already rocked. He was hit flush with a left hand, and was just finished off with those other shots.

JDS used to do this, I think he even demonstrated how he likes to "punch" with his fist landing in a palm-down manner to club his opponents over the head. Easier on his hand/knuckles, and doesn't require the precision of finding the chin.

A few weeks back there was controversy over a late stoppage by Herb Dean. What was overlooked in that fight was the actual strike that KO'd Jai Hebert. It was a punch to the forehead.

NextUnselfishAntbear-size_restricted.gif

Chris Weidman was stopped by Jacare with a forehead punch as well.

WiQJ04J.gif

Yes Chandler did knock Bendo down with a straight left. But Bendo was still conscious. It was the followup forehead punch that faceplanted him out cold.

giphy.gif

Are we going to see more forehead punches?
You’re right, those shots kill equilibrium like behind the ear shots, however forehead punches work best in boxing. Mma gloves don’t protect the hand like boxing gloves. It could be a gamble of broken hand vs fight ending punch.

That bendo KO is wild. He barely touched him.

On the flip side, Gaethje ad many BK fighters use their foreheads to block punches, and break hands.

Back