for those who don't compete

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
as far as grapplers who do it for recreation or just for self def, what are your goals in regards to grappling; also how hard do u work on ur conditioning, developing overall strategies and diff tech or tech improvement.

i ask because the large majority of people in any art or sport don't compete; so how seriously do u take other elements of it, how much do u dedicate urself to the art/craft.

i bounce around to alot of diff clubs, and roll w/alot of diff people; its fun and i like the whole process of hitting the mat and testing myself against diff stylist, people w/diff abililties or skillsets.

i can't say im always trying to push forward my overall game, i improve; sometimes by small amounts, at some stages greater amounts. But i grapple just for the fun of it and self def reasons; meaning that what i seek to improve in, be aware of and develop is much diff than what people who are trying to compete are. I still do alot of outside conditioning, etc; nothing crazy, more just for health reasons..

so just a question for those who don't compete, what are ur goals, do u actually do strength conditioning training outside of grappling in class, do u really work ur game and try to improve tech and strategically...

Just out of curiousity why don't you compete? In Bjj I just look at it as a way to roll with guys that I normally wouldn't get to roll against. The winning part is just a bonus, but maybe my outlook is a little uncommon.

You should try to compete. There's a 5th gear most people have that doesn't get engaged until you're in a tourny situation. That were the real JJ lives.

I think it's important to test your progress against other clubs - esp if your out of high school it is nice to be part of a competitive team. I still haven't found that extra gear, but then again i have only done two tournis. I couldn't stop yawning while i was waiting for my turn to roll - prob more exciting when i'm at higher level of experiance?

I haven't competed yet, and it's been a year since I've been receiving real instruction, but it's because I have a hernia - getting it fixed this weekend. A few months down the road, I just might end up competing.

But in the meantime my goals have been to use BJJ chiefly to have fun, because it's a blast, and also to help stay in shape, because it's hard to get inspired to run and such with the problem I have. After I'm recovered from surgery I definitely plan on working on strength and conditioning outside of class, and I can't wait to finally be at 100%.

as far as grapplers who do it for recreation or just for self def, what are your goals in regards to grappling; also how hard do u work on ur conditioning, developing overall strategies and diff tech or tech improvement.

i ask because the large majority of people in any art or sport don't compete; so how seriously do u take other elements of it, how much do u dedicate urself to the art/craft.

i bounce around to alot of diff clubs, and roll w/alot of diff people; its fun and i like the whole process of hitting the mat and testing myself against diff stylist, people w/diff abililties or skillsets.

i can't say im always trying to push forward my overall game, i improve; sometimes by small amounts, at some stages greater amounts. But i grapple just for the fun of it and self def reasons; meaning that what i seek to improve in, be aware of and develop is much diff than what people who are trying to compete are. I still do alot of outside conditioning, etc; nothing crazy, more just for health reasons..

so just a question for those who don't compete, what are ur goals, do u actually do strength conditioning training outside of grappling in class, do u really work ur game and try to improve tech and strategically...

I don't compete but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not competitive.

I think that not competing gives me a laid-back approach to training. I work best when I have SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound), and it's definitely true that if you're a competitor you must be bound to such goals- but as long as I set those goals, as a non-competitor, I come out all right.

I'm like you, it's all about the journey, not necessarily the destination. I find that not competing leaves me caring less about my rank, nor do I focus on what other academies are doing. It's a very zen way to go about training. It's a good way to keep from getting angry over losing, getting overly upset about minor injuries, or getting too worked up over diet/exercise leading into a match.

I like being the guy that comes in, does his thing, and then goes home and doesn't have to spend every waking moment thinking about jiu jitsu (it's good to think about it, but you can't let it run your life...at least I can't let it run my life).

I wish I had more time to devote to training, but I work full-time, go to grad school part-time, and I also block out time during the week to jam with my friends (a great way to keep your relationships strong is to make music with people), and (I might get flamed for this) my girlfriend and I take dance classes one night a week...she loves it, I enjoy it, and I love that she is so appreciative that I am willing to do that with her.

I lift weights and run 3-4 days a week. I used to lift purely for aesthetic reasons, but after I began training I've incorporated both strength and endurance workouts into my typical hypertrophy-focused workouts.

As far as my game goes, I'm always trying to work on new aspects of it. Currently I'm trying to work on sweeps from half guard. I'm also more than happy to put my game on hold to focus on what my training partners want to work on.

I think it's good to have a guy like me around, who is willing to help competitors get ready for tournament. I understand that this is an individual sport, but it is a team effort.

Wow Lug's Spear you must be the most laid back dude. When I see the guy I'm going up against I'm feel like a lion that sees his dinner. I'm getting amped just thinking about it.

I don't compete but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not competitive.

I think that not competing gives me a laid-back approach to training. I work best when I have SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound), and it's definitely true that if you're a competitor you must be bound to such goals- but as long as I set those goals, as a non-competitor, I come out all right.

I'm like you, it's all about the journey, not necessarily the destination. I find that not competing leaves me caring less about my rank, nor do I focus on what other academies are doing. It's a very zen way to go about training. It's a good way to keep from getting angry over losing, getting overly upset about minor injuries, or getting too worked up over diet/exercise leading into a match.

I like being the guy that comes in, does his thing, and then goes home and doesn't have to spend every waking moment thinking about jiu jitsu (it's good to think about it, but you can't let it run your life...at least I can't let it run my life).

I wish I had more time to devote to training, but I work full-time, go to grad school part-time, and I also block out time during the week to jam with my friends (a great way to keep your relationships strong is to make music with people), and (I might get flamed for this) my girlfriend and I take dance classes one night a week...she loves it, I enjoy it, and I love that she is so appreciative that I am willing to do that with her.

I lift weights and run 3-4 days a week. I used to lift purely for aesthetic reasons, but after I began training I've incorporated both strength and endurance workouts into my typical hypertrophy-focused workouts.

As far as my game goes, I'm always trying to work on new aspects of it. Currently I'm trying to work on sweeps from half guard. I'm also more than happy to put my game on hold to focus on what my training partners want to work on.

I think it's good to have a guy like me around, who is willing to help competitors get ready for tournament. I understand that this is an individual sport, but it is a team effort.

i can relate to u, i like it, i like being knowledgeable and understanding what i see in mma or in a grappling match and i like knowing how to do it; but its not the overwhelming thing in my life..same thing w/striking.

i just have other things that take precedent, an i feel i get enough intensity going to diff clubs or meeting up w/people who do compete and hitting the matt.

i can relate to u on that front

also i never worked out for aesthetics always for the ability to be and stay active/healthy

just look to learn something new every day and improve every day as well. anyone who has that attitude will be just fine.

I don't compete anymore. I did in the earlier years....but now, life is filled with work, family, and fun. Jiu jitsu is just part of the fun I continue to have. I love learning new things, rolling with good grapplers, teaching what I know, and helping the younger guys get their edge in competition.

As far as conditioning/training, I train 3 to 4 days a week (more teaching right now, awaiting results from knee MRI), some light weights on the off-days, and I bought an elliptical machine to help with my cardio and knee.

There are many reasons that some of us don't compete. I think it depends on the person. I personally don't compete because my weekends are spent with family and doing my other interests. I spend 4 days a week training. I am in it for the journey and the long term. One potential danger with the competition mentality - I can not count the number of people who I have seen go full blast preparing for this or that tournament. They compete. Then, you don't see them. They burned themselves out.

For me, the value is in the discipline of consistent, steady training.

This works for me. Others like to compete. Like Jiu Jitsu, the right move depends on your position, strengths, and weaknesses.

I find training in itself fulfilling. I don't have anything against competiting, I used to compete often when I did TMA, but for where I'm at right, I just enjoy the training.
I do carido, lifting, plyos, all that stuff well. Not necessarily to improve my game, but because they are benificail in and of themselves. Of course, they are directly related to my ability to grapple (or box, or whatever).
My favorite part of class is rolling at the end. I enjoy testing myself. I enjoy the physicality of it. I even enjoy the psychology of it.

Sorry guys i can't relate at all... Jiu-jitsu is the be all and end all, I think about jiu-jitsu nearly every waking minute of my life, and half of the sleeping minutes too, i value consistent training, i am normally first to arrive and last to leave and if there is a tournament coming up, i am there.

I think there are basically 2 typed of jiu-jitsu practitioners, those that get so hooked on it that it becomes their purpose in life, and the other type that enjoys it but sees it more as a hobby.

Jiu Jitsu is more than a hobby. But, not all Jiu Jitsu happens on the mat. Rickson used to always say, "Take the move your opponent gives you, not the move you want to take". In all areas of my life, I try to look for the openings life gives me instead of blindly charging ahead. If I am smart, I use leverage and not force.

Jiu Jitsu is about balance. If your life is not balanced, you won't last long term training in Jiu Jitsu.

Your enthusiam is great. It is typical of a new person. However, my experience is that you are at risk to burn out unless you relax (just like training). No one can sprint a marathon.

Jiu Jitsu is more than a hobby. But, not all Jiu Jitsu happens on the mat. Rickson used to always say, "Take the move your opponent gives you, not the move you want to take". In all areas of my life, I try to look for the openings life gives me instead of blindly charging ahead. If I am smart, I use leverage and not force.

Jiu Jitsu is about balance. If your life is not balanced, you won't last long term training in Jiu Jitsu.

Your enthusiam is great. It is typical of a new person. However, my experience is that you are at risk to burn out unless you relax (just like training). No one can sprint a marathon.

Great advice. Burnout rate in this sport is huge. Relax and enjoy the ride, you're only here once

Back when I didn't want to compete, I thought of BJJ as a fun little RPG game, where you'd improve your stats like Base, Strength, Positioning, Submission and I would try to upgrade them whenever I could.

You may think that you don't want to compete now, but once you reach a certain level, you'll want to keep growing and grow faster and change your mind, this could happen sooner than you think

when I started BJJ I didn't have any aspirations to compete, my reason being that I had ZERO athleticism until college started and every guy that competes probably trained since they were seven.

when i attended my friend's tournament, and I saw the "beginners" division...I was like "Woah! they're beginners?" and I thought to myself that I probably won't be competing even in beginner anytime soon (my friends don't see any point in competing in Novice)

and here I am, 10 months later thinking about competing next month..

Dont compete anymore (except the odd wrestling torny every couple of months). Its definitly something you should do at least a couple of times in the sport that you enjoy. Brings a whole new light to training.

There's a fair contingent of us older folks who used to compete in our younger days ... university wrestling team and provincial judo team. But one day you wake up, find you have a job and family, and notice that gravity's getting stronger, the mats are getting harder, and recovery time is slowing down.

That's when coaching and refereeing starts to look good :icon_twis

Rolling and doing randori in class is one thing, actual competitions tend to be hard on the body. once you get into your 40's. Though its sometimes tempting to fight in the master's division ... its mainly other poor working sods, so there's a tendency to go easy on the throws :D

I don't compete at the moment so I guess it is no longer a sport for me.
It has become a hobby.
However, I am still involved in official and referee roles at the BJJ competitions.

Back