for those who don't compete

Actually I should have said, "I can fathom what it is like to sit around for 12+ hours and roll only 1-4 times. I'm really not interested in that."

I dont try to compete to much now a days - i just train because it makes my mood better, and my day better.

Plus if i didnt train i would probably kick the crap out of my girlfriend, and everyone at work.. possibly even go postal

Once bjj instructors and members start laying off the crap talk about competing training will be a lot more enjoyable for a lot of people.

BJJ training < MMA training < MMA < Street

MMA comp < Singing in a concert

You actually think people are going to hurt you in a bjj comp? Wow never knew some people thought like this. As long as you tap there should be next to know risk. Unless you are unexperienced.

Once bjj instructors and members start laying off the crap talk about competing training will be a lot more enjoyable for a lot of people.

You actually think people are going to hurt you in a bjj comp? Wow never knew some people thought like this. As long as you tap there should be next to know risk. Unless you are unexperienced.

next to no risk, are you kidding me... there is moderate risk rolling in class, especially the way some guys are so eager to get the tap, let alone in a tournament when the intensity is that much more frantic.

PS: You sound kinda scared :icon_chee:icon_twis

I think your response speaks for itself. Good luck with the training and don't let them get to you.

next to no risk, are you kidding me... there is moderate risk rolling in class, especially the way some guys are so eager to get the tap, let alone in a tournament when the intensity is that much more frantic.

PS: You sound kinda scared :icon_chee:icon_twis

The only time I have seen guys get injured is when they refuse to tap when they are caught.
Are you telling me you go in to a bjj comp with intension's to hurt someone? if someone is going in with that attitude it does not make it right. If they want to try hurting people they should enter striking or mma.

So basically the only reason you will get hurt is from yours or their inexperience or the bad attitude. But if both participants are experienced and have the bjj comp attitude then their is very little chance of getting injured.

Please explain how this is incorrect.

I think your response speaks for itself. Good luck with the training and don't let them get to you.

Please explain:icon_neut

The only reason I am pissed is because I get no enjoyment out of it at all. All it seems to do is give stress and you have to focus on game strategy and rules for that particular comp. So each time a comp comes up people are yapping.
"hey man you gotta go in this comp"
"we need more guys entering, common"
" comp is where you gonna test ya shit , man"
"You got to represent !"
How about shut the f**k up!:icon_conf
Then you hear guys backstabbing and talking smack about guys from other clubs that don't enter comp. So you know they gonna do the same to you.The whole attitude pisses me off. Yet half won't show up for striking and mma sparing.

Good point about different kinds of competitions. When I think of competition (and I suspect same for most folks) its state/provincial level or higher, where young guys are trying to make points to get onto the national team - pretty intense and lot's of injuries. Interclub is a different game, much easier to do when you get older (sorry, 27 is mentally an adult but in terms of health you're still young ... enjoy it while it lasts).

Disagree about reputation being on the line. Most coaches are folks who've retired, and no one expects them to be able to win at top levels anymore. Dan Gable would have no chance wrestling against an olympic level guy today, or even most college level guys, he's too old. Same for Yashiro Yamashita in judo (the most successful competition judoka in history, now national coach for the Japanese judo team). They could compete and get blown away, and no one would care, because they proved themselves as competitors during their competition days, and now prove themselves as coaches by what their athletes do.

I should of really put what I said about reputation in context. Some people who are at high purple belt level and have aspirations of being a full time instructor and create a profitable gym don't really want people saying that other gyms are better because someone from the other gym beat their instructor.

In Korea there are many TKD/Hapkido/Yudo/Gumdo etc schools and are run by many of these people as full time jobs. Many people in our gym train almost everyday for as many hours as possible so they can get at least a brown belt to start a club. They don't want their reputation to be tarnished before they start their clubs.

If they are going to really make money then they will have to teach kids classes and you need at the very least a black belt for that. All the tmas instructors have blackbelts so many of the kids won't understand what the difference is between what a bjj black belt is and say a tkd black belt.

Why do people need an excuse to not compete? Whats wrong with not competing? If people want to compete they should just do so. If they enjoy it and think it improves their game why make a big deal to complain about people not competing?

Maybe people don't enjoy competing and just want others to suffer like they do.

Maybe they want more spectators to see their brilliance:D

I really don't know. But I am gonna flip if people get on my back about going in the next comp.

hahaha i hope so many people ask you if youre competing and why not :)

Some of us are considerably closer to 50 than 40, and continue to train BJJ, judo and MMA. But once you get older there's a big difference between competing and training. I did my last judo tournament a decade ago, and my last serious one (Canadian nationals) about the time I hit 30. People have it backwards, ego isn't what keeps you from competing, its what keeps you competing long after your body can handle it. Admitting to yourself that you're past your physical prime isn't easy, it generally has to be forced upon you.

You'll see :D

yeah i know, it will suck :(

What about calf crushes, bicep crushes spine and neck cranks. All mostly illegal especially purple down. I personally love them all. Comp guys complain though that they are illegal in comp.

That's something I don't like. I'm a blue belt, and where I train, I'm doing bicep and calf crushes (calf in particular), I'm training a lot of unorthodox neck cranks from different positions, and I'm getting pretty good with heel hooks. Of course I have plenty more in my arsenal, but a question for those guys who train for competition, do you still train techniques that are banned, or do you ignore them?

I don't buy the argument that people who don't compete in bjj are scared of the competition. Prior to bjj I wrestled for about 6 years, occasionally in front of 1000+ people, and have had over 100 matches. A grappling competition is no problem, I'm just not thinking about it right now or focusing on that.

age is a weak excuse to stop competing

you should be able to easilly go till youre 40, after that you can still train bjj just fine, but dont have to think about mma or bjj competitions anymore

Hey man, I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. You don't know the guy you're criticizing, you don't know his physical condition, any nagging injuries, and you don't know his goals. If the man feels he's past the age where he wants to put the strain of competition on his body, who are you to judge him?

That's something I don't like. I'm a blue belt, and where I train, I'm doing bicep and calf crushes (calf in particular), I'm training a lot of unorthodox neck cranks from different positions, and I'm getting pretty good with heel hooks. Of course I have plenty more in my arsenal, but a question for those guys who train for competition, do you still train techniques that are banned, or do you ignore them?

I don't buy the argument that people who don't compete in bjj are scared of the competition. Prior to bjj I wrestled for about 6 years, occasionally in front of 1000+ people, and have had over 100 matches. A grappling competition is no problem, I'm just not thinking about it right now or focusing on that.

I think you may have made some points that I have been trying to put across but seemed to have failed.

Please explain:icon_neut

The only reason I am pissed is because I get no enjoyment out of it at all. All it seems to do is give stress and you have to focus on game strategy and rules for that particular comp. So each time a comp comes up people are yapping.
"hey man you gotta go in this comp"
"we need more guys entering, common"
" comp is where you gonna test ya shit , man"
"You got to represent !"
How about shut the f**k up!:icon_conf
Then you hear guys backstabbing and talking smack about guys from other clubs that don't enter comp. So you know they gonna do the same to you.The whole attitude pisses me off. Yet half won't show up for striking and mma sparing.

I did a quick search and your attitude towards competing has done a 180 in the past year. It also sounds like you had a bad experience. I don't know what to tell you other than you are participating in a combat sport that puts a lot of value on competition. It comes with the territory.

if you dont like to compete, i dont think you should..

You got into bjj because it made you happy.. why on earth would you pay to do something you dont like doing?

Only live once man, have as much fun as possible.

yeah i know, it will suck :(
On the plus side, life gets better as you get older in most other ways. Having grandchildren to spoil is much easier than raising your children (all the love, none of the responsibility :D), you're financially stable - house paid off and most likely have a lot of investments built up over the years, you're more comfortable with yourself (you come to terms with a lot of things that bother you when you're younger). Studies show most people get happier as they get older so long as they're healthy.

Just don't try to keep up with young guys on the mats :icon_chee

age is a weak excuse to stop competing

you should be able to easilly go till youre 40, after that you can still train bjj just fine, but dont have to think about mma or bjj competitions anymore

Must be nice to be young. I miss the gung ho attitude of my 20s. Age is not just about physical limitations, it's also about responsibilities and obligations. I'm in my mid 30s and got into BJJ a year+ ago... unfortunately I don't have the luxury of devoting my free time to training or doing comps. Doing BJJ is the healthiest I've felt in years, however, my family, running my business, taking care of aging parents all have far greater priority over doing comps.

You're attitude is all piss and vinegar and your view is limited by your age. You can't see the forest due to the trees right in front of you. But eventually you'll understand.

Hey man, I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. You don't know the guy you're criticizing, you don't know his physical condition, any nagging injuries, and you don't know his goals. If the man feels he's past the age where he wants to put the strain of competition on his body, who are you to judge him?

im not judging him personally im just making a statement in general

if youre injured that badly, fuckit, give it up all together

Must be nice to be young. I miss the gung ho attitude of my 20s. Age is not just about physical limitations, it's also about responsibilities and obligations. I'm in my mid 30s and got into BJJ a year+ ago... unfortunately I don't have the luxury of devoting my free time to training or doing comps. Doing BJJ is the healthiest I've felt in years, however, my family, running my business, taking care of aging parents all have far greater priority over doing comps.

You're attitude is all piss and vinegar and your view is limited by your age. You can't see the forest due to the trees right in front of you. But eventually you'll understand.

yeah i realise you might have personal responsibilities to hold you back, im just talking about physical capability tho

Back