For those who do enjoy the Women's divisions...

I didnt have a prejudice,i just didnt enjoy the matches at first. I wanted them to be good but they werent,but things changed for the better.

I've trained with/sparred with women from early on in my training. Watched women fight like emotional pissed in wars or controlled boring technical fights in smokers.

I didn't think anything out of the ordinary when they made it to Strikeforce or UFC until I read about all the haters.

The very few like Joanna, Holly, Ronda & Cyborg I enjoy watching. The others? Not so much.

I like watching Tate against someone like ZIngano who can give her a tough fight. I like both of them.

I wasn't really interested in women's MMA, and this will probably be unpopular, but Ronda put women's MMA on the map. Everyone, including the UFC, should give her a huge thank you because without Ronda I don't think women's MMA would have taken off in the UFC like it did. Period, full stop.

I wasn't really interested in women's MMA, and this will probably be unpopular, but Ronda put women's MMA on the map. Everyone, including the UFC, should give her a huge thank you because without Ronda I don't think women's MMA would have taken off in the UFC like it did. Period, full stop.

Im with you 100 % on that.

I was already a big UFC fan (and had watched some Pride, but not as much as I should have), but what really got me to notice WMMA was when Gina Carano was "Crush" on the American Gladiators reboot. I saw that she was a fighter and then watched a couple of her fights online and then in Strikeforce. Carano led me to getting to know other Strikeforce fighters like Cyborg, Tate, Coenen, Rousey, etc. Since then, I have pretty much always liked watching the women fight, partially because so many of them just lay it all out there in the cage.

Anyway, like so many have already said, I like watching fights (preferably exciting ones). I don't care if it's a man or woman in there. The fact that there are some women in the sport who are hot (or at the very least "hot for a fighter") is a bonus.

My gut reaction was very negative. I was a hater.
Then I started watching, and realized that for all the complaints about a relative lack of skill, you don't see the lower tier men's division looking better: lousy footwork, lack of escape knowledge on the ground, poor striking, all there in the men's division as well.

And then women are getting better. It's coming along nicely.
My reaction was the opposite. At first I was like, ok cool, these girls really go out to kill each other, some of the fights are more entertaining than the men's.

Then stupid things started to happen like Ronda being hyped that she can beat men, and they started to throw them in mixed with men's p4p rankings, etc. and it just got stupid. They're insulting people's intelligence, anyone with half a brain knows that any guy on the UFC roster beats the best female female fighter out there, and doesn't break a sweat doing it.

Basically I dont mind the fights, but the shameless lies and exaggeration just turned me off it quite a bit. With Ronda getting dummied it improved a bit tho, but that whole period really ruined it for the intelligent fans imo.

There are only a few women in WMMA that actually train full time, and it's obvious when they get in the cage/ring. It's not a sport you can only be half in or the skill level just isn't there.
I like watching the ones with skills, I make sandwiches when the amateur chics are fighting.

I didn't even really know WMMA existed until I saw Carano and Kaufman fighting in Strikeforce and Elite XC. I'd heard of it before but thought it was one of those "only in Japan" things. I enjoyed their fights and those of other women during that time, and my hope was that they'd gain enough popularity to make it a regular event. The fighters are definitely getting better and the divisions are starting to get more depth, as long as the UFC keeps everyone active (they've done a crap job of that at times) the women will just keep getting better. I think my biggest gripe right now is how half the women are begging for fights but the UFC doesn't schedule them, or half the time it's a last minute replacement on the pre-lims.

I think my biggest gripe right now is how half the women are begging for fights but the UFC doesn't schedule them, or half the time it's a last minute replacement on the pre-lims.

Yes this sucks

The quality of the female divisions still has a way to go, but they make up for that with passion and fun fights most of the time. The same part of me that enjoyed Stann and Wand winging punches enjoys the sloppy, bloody women's fights.

What I really like is when they do things most men can't.

When Jessica Penne wraps her legs like pretzels around someone from some crazy angle...
penne3.gif

....or Michelle Waterson's full standing splits while landing a flying armbar...
kO1DAV9.jpg

.... or an axe kick:

lWSDxdF.jpg

That UNIQUE stuff they bring is what I most enjoy about having female fighters in the mix.

Some of them are also nice to look at.

I have a hard time watching female pro wrestlers. It looks way more choreagraphed and alot slower than the men.It dont flow right.

Female pro wrestlers are worse compared to men than female MMA fighters because they're often more chosen for looks than for skill/talent. In MMA the top girls actually have to be better than the rest to make it there and if they look good it's just a plus.

I have no interest in seeing women playing any sport really. Yes some of them are talented but id rather watch sport at it's highest level which women's competition never is.

Back