For those who do enjoy the Women's divisions...

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
What was your first impression of the prospect of women's MMA? Did you believe it would happen and it would work,and did your mind change from then until now. I admit i thought it would never work...all the women's fights I had seen were bad,just like most women's wrestling. I have no problem with the IDEA of women wanting to fight....It just tended not to look right. Obviously there are a few women that are total savages,but it seemed like the exception to the rule. My mind changed when i saw two women fight live for Bodog. Tara Larosa vs Kelly Kobold in 2007 i believe. The skill level wasnt super high,but it wasnt garbage to watch,those two actually had a war,and thats when I gave it a chance.

My gut reaction was very negative. I was a hater.
Then I started watching, and realized that for all the complaints about a relative lack of skill, you don't see the lower tier men's division looking better: lousy footwork, lack of escape knowledge on the ground, poor striking, all there in the men's division as well.

And then women are getting better. It's coming along nicely.

My gut reaction was very negative. I was a hater.
Then I started watching, and realized that for all the complaints about a relative lack of skill, you don't see the lower tier men's division looking better: lousy footwork, lack of escape knowledge on the ground, poor striking, all there in the men's division as well.

And then women are getting better. It's coming along nicely.

Even if someone hates rousey so much that they dont even like to watch her judo skills (not me,im a fan),there is still Joanna. I love watching her. That front kick of her is rediculous,and she lands it in every fight,and fucks people up with it every time.

I like it. there are good fights, there are terrible fights. My second favorite fight in all of MMA is Rousey vs Holm. I don't mind watching less skilled MMA as long as it's exciting.

I've competitively wrestled for some years now, and trained in bjj, boxing etc for a bit.

Because of how boring and terrible watching women wrestle competitively was, I thought it'd never happen. I still can't believe women are in the UFC--But I do enjoy the fights. It's kinda like watching kimbo vs dada, you arent watching it because its good, you're watching it because its entertaining.

Unless it's Holm or Joanna Champ fighting, that is.

I never had any interest in women's fights. I watched Gina Carano's early fights because she's beautiful. I've watched a few other women's fights because of them being good looking. Watched a few of Cyborgs fights because of the hype of her KOs. No interested in women's MMA at all as a sport then or now.

Even if someone hates rousey so much that they dont even like to watch her judo skills (not me,im a fan),there is still Joanna. I love watching her. That front kick of her is rediculous,and she lands it in every fight,and fucks people up with it every time.
I'm happy to say they won me over and that UFC brand mma was successfully expanded.

This is what I expected...this is what we got.

I especially like the way she keeps checking her poster like "Yeah, I'm baddass"

131012023920745586.gif

I'm a fight fan. Man, woman, heavy weight or flyweight. Doesn't matter as long as the fights are entertaining. I enjoyed WMMA before the UFC did it and before strikeforce did it.

Hating RR made me watch her. Waiting for the glorious day she lost.

I enjoy watching NBA but to me the WNBA is unwatchable.

Love watching MMA and WMMA tho.

Even haters have to admit that win or lose, all of Rondas fights were exciting

I have a hard time watching female pro wrestlers. It looks way more choreagraphed and alot slower than the men.It dont flow right.

Even haters have to admit that win or lose, all of Rondas fights were exciting

Indeed...the first tate rousey fight saved WMMA. That was a good one.

I was down on the idea at first but there are definitely some entertaining fights. Thing I noticed most is the huge disparity in skill from top 2 or 3 girls. Once you drop below that line it is almost unwatchable. I guess that will change in time once the younger batch of girls enter into their own.

Thing I noticed most is the huge disparity in skill from top 2 or 3 girls. Once you drop below that line it is almost unwatchable

Angela mangana vs Aisling Daly was a tough one. Ive seen two white belts have a better match.

Anyway Women who are talented will be drawn to it because they can see themselves beating alot of these women and making some money,and exposed to a much wider audience...i mean how many people here had even heard of Joanna before she started fighting in WMMA?

I have a hard time watching female pro wrestlers. It looks way more choreagraphed and alot slower than the men.It dont flow right.
Yeah but it's a lot less homo-erotic.

I'm a hater turned appreciator. I like a bloody war, and some of these WMMA bouts are hella vicious.

Untitled.0.0.png

Last edited:
Honestly my thoughts are the women get shit on for stuff the men get a pass on because they have a higher ability to turn the lights out on someone.Im a fight fan whether its women or men as long as they go at it

I was a fan of Hong Kong martial arts movies long before the UFC existed, and those HK martial arts movies often had cool female martial artists in them that I enjoyed watching. So I never was resistant to watching female MMA matches, which were--to me--like seeing real-life versions of those fictional heroines in action, and so I was a fan of these women's matches even before the UFC opened up their first female division. I didn't have to be won over from any prejudice against female fighters.

ProjectS+1993-8-b.jpg

Back