For people who talk bad about krav....

Here are the arguements I take with Krav. And I studied it for 6months at a regional training center.

B: The striking in Krav is just crappy MT and boxing. And the grappling is just SUPER CRAPPY jiu jitsu, judo and wrestling.

C: The combatives are pretty good actually (especially the ones for weapons) HOWEVER!!! There is absolutely no reason to train at a KM school. 100% of the techniques they teach to civilians can be found in their books and dvds, the total cost of which would be less than 2 months tutition at a KM school; so just get the material and train it with friends or athletes. AND YOU CAN'T ARGUE AGAINST THIS, BECAUSE THEIR WHOLE PHILOSOPHY IS BASED ON THE IDEA THAT THE TECHNIQUES CAN BE USED WITHOUT EXTENSIVE TRAINING AND ARE INSTINCTIVE AND REFLEXIVE. SO WHY PAY MONEY TO LEARN FROM THEM EVERYMONTH WHEN I CAN JUST BUY THEIR BOOKS, TRAIN AT A STRIKING AND GRAPPLING GYM AND HAVE THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS?

The above I pretty much agree with. KM does a good job at combining physical fitness in with self defense. They are also better than 90% of "self defense" options that people have. So if you're looking to get in shape and learn reality based scenarios it's a good joint.

In the military and law enforcement the defenses against gun and knife attacks are pretty much the same across the board.

What some people don't realize though...is that even these "defenses" don't work in all instances. But because perps don't always leave you alone once they have your stuff, the taught defenses against being at gun and knife point are your only options if you know you're going to have to fight back. But don't be surprised if you still get shot or cut/stabbed when going unarmed vs armed.

Ever try to grab the slide of a gun as its going off? Ever try to slap a knife away and get sliced in the process? When you gun armed vs unarmed that's likely going to happen.

Here's my problem with such sintagmatic constructions: unlike, say, Krav Maga, MMA is not a style or martial art, and never will be.

You mean syntagmatic structure? By the way...syntax refers to the construction of the sentence, not the meaning of the words within the sentence per say. Instead of using wikipedia to sound smart, try just saying it like you mean it:

"the problem you have with statements like that is that MMA isn't a style..."

Not to mention that while MMA is generally a type of sport venue which can comprise of many different styles of martial arts...saying "we MMA guys" simple refers to people who train in MMA gyms which is a perfectly adequate method of describing a sub-group.

Though I would argue that MMA is quickly becoming it's own style...think about it...when someone says they practice MMA--what do you immediately know about them? They probably have at minimum striking (punching and kicking typically from boxing and muay thai) and some sort of clinch/ground game which could have been derived from wrestling, bjj, or judo more than likely. Just food for thought. Semantics are just that...semantics.

Last edited:
Krav Maga is fine.

Just make sure you take BJJ and muay thai first.

Here's my problem with such sintagmatic constructions: unlike, say, Krav Maga, MMA is not a style or martial art, and never will be.

You need to get laid. I said that because it was the point argued by the OP, and even though you can't call MMA "A style" it encompasses enough of the same aspects to become unique and identifiable.

There is always someone out there tougher... unless you're Brock Lesnar... still the toughest S.O.B. around.

he did look pretty tough running n cowering from Carwin or screaming for Mazzagatti to save him when Mir got his leg !

:rolleyes:

I've been taking krav maga for almost a year with no prior experiance and have learned an awful lot

well no shit.

that doesn't mean it's more effective than _ or _.

You have absolutely nothing to compare it to.

You mean syntagmatic structure? By the way...syntax refers to the construction of the sentence, not the meaning of the words within the sentence per say. Instead of using wikipedia to sound smart, try just saying it like you mean it:

"the problem you have with statements like that is that MMA isn't a style..."

Not to mention that while MMA is generally a type of sport venue which can comprise of many different styles of martial arts...saying "we MMA guys" simple refers to people who train in MMA gyms which is a perfectly adequate method of describing a sub-group.

Though I would argue that MMA is quickly becoming it's own style...think about it...when someone says they practice MMA--what do you immediately know about them? They probably have at minimum striking (punching and kicking typically from boxing and muay thai) and some sort of clinch/ground game which could have been derived from wrestling, bjj, or judo more than likely. Just food for thought. Semantics are just that...semantics.

When someone says that they "practice MMA", i immediately think that they don't have the in depth experience in any discipline.

Krav Maga is fine.

Just make sure you take BJJ and muay thai first.

why bother with krav if you already have bjj and muay thai with those 2 arts you have the base for sufficient self defense right there maybe mix some kali in if your worried about weapons why take a watered down mix of those arts with a terrible quality control problem with their instructors.

When someone says that they "practice MMA", i immediately think that they don't have the in depth experience in any discipline.

What is depth? Depth in skills is what someone needs...not style.

Krav is only good for a self defense situation where you need to disable and control the other guy quickly.

Um isn't that the general goal or should be the general goal of any style?

I personally don't think much of it because thus far everything i've seen has been of poor quality and the fight quest and human weapon episodes didn't change my opinions either especially when you consider the fight quest espisode featured the Israeli miltary instructors. I recall a scene in that where they were doing an ambush scenario and the host had to run through it and fight his way out from multiple opponents. He got dog piled of course but when it came time for krava maga instructor to do it. the opponents she had to face conveniently didn't rush her as they did the host and each threw one slow looping heymaker they stopped in
front of her before impact thus allowing her to easily block it and hit them multiple times where they again conveniently didn't even launch a second attack.

Now of course it makes one wonder if the instructors are teaching something so poorly then what does that say about the style?

But i would not completely dismiss it or any other style for that matter. I've heard they are supposedly adding different stuff to it and there always may be more realistic instructors out there that could suprise me and change my thoughts on it.

why bother with krav if you already have bjj and muay thai with those 2 arts you have the base for sufficient self defense right there maybe mix some kali in if your worried about weapons why take a watered down mix of those arts with a terrible quality control problem with their instructors.

I was being a smart alec :icon_chee

I did a seminar with Avi Nardia, who's a Major in the Israeli army, and he took up BJJ too

I guess I don't know why someone would pay for this Krav Maga when you can get far better instruction in the grappling and striking components of KM in a legit MMA gym for often less money. I can learn KM at the YMCA with the other soccer moms as part of my self-defense classes..

I think part of the reason Krav get a bit of a bad rap, is that there are most likely to many "former Israeli commandos" teaching it who are really just dudes who did their mandatory service in the IDF, then came back to America and started teaching Krav for the money, not being true instructors but just mooks.

This is pure speculation, but its the kind of thing I can see happening with an art like that, where so many guys are trained in it because of the mandatory IDF service and the number of dual citizens in America who go back and forth, plus I worked with a fat, unhealthy, unethical former IDF guy in private security who told me he taught Krav and the guy did not seem like or exhibit any qualities you'd expect of a martial artist. He may have been a total bad ass, I don't really know but he was a major douchebag.....

I would still train TAE-BO by Billy Blanks though, that's one tough art!:icon_chee

I haven't taken krav Maga, but I did have a discussion about it with my MT instructor who is well versed in multiple MA's including Krav Maga. He says if you take a true Krav Maga class and not the watered down cardio styled one, it'll be one of the best forms of self defense you can have. The main reasons why it's so effective is because they often times break you down to where you are tired and basically have to utilize the adrenaline surge from being attacked (ala muscle memory) to catch your attacker off balance and neutralize him.

I ran into a guy who trained Krav Maga while working out at a commercial gym. He had a beer belly and a pony tail.

Krav Maga would be awesome if you're learning from a real Israeli commando. Learning from some random guy is like taking JKD from some random guy.. they're just taking your money while teaching you to kick nuts and punch throats. I already know how to kick nuts and punch throats... that's 3rd grade battlefield tactics man.

If you're paying a 6th dan black belt in TKD ... why aren't you learning TKD? You could perform flying spinning backward horse kicks to the nuts. :eek:

Back