For people who talk bad about krav....

nothing against the system, know people that have learned it. it's just that if you're not a military, law enforcement type learning from people paid to teach it to those types, you're more than likely learning garbage

Gotta say I recently made a mission to watch as many videos of real fights recorded by home videos CCTV etc. And I musta watched 100 or over, did this because I used to watch fights that developed frequently outside of an intalian bar/ cafe I used to live above called "Chocachinos" and I wondered if fights all around the world were like this.

And i gotta say in everything from bar fights, to street fights outside clubs, in car parks, in back yards etc. All I saw was punches, body and leg kicks, messy wrestling and ground wrestling EXACTLY what you see in MMA but just with a bit more blood lust and more people involved. There was some dirty fighting , but nothing krav maga style, a few head butts and jumping and landing on peoples heads, but nothing like you see in Krav maga training.

My conclusion : Learn to punch/ kick hard (dont kick above the solar plexus unless its a multi man tussle then just throw them out there, to much confusion to kick catch there), learn to grapple and and wrestle, get in shape and learn to take a hit. = self defence.

what prevents me from using the roundhouses and switch kicks I learn kickboxing and simply aiming them at the nuts? I use these kicks under pressure when sparring all the time and could easily adjust the target for these kicks up or down a couple inches and hit them in the groin for a SD situation

does krav teach proper kicking form to generate maximum power? or does it teach shitty kicking form with no sparring and say "aim for da nutz and youze will be UNSTOPPABLE"

It's pretty comical how everyone thinks Krav is simply the "groin kick" art.
There's much much more to it.

The hardest part of Krav Maga is finding a legit teacher and school to teach you.

all martial arts are best left to training and competing. In the real world, the best self defense is a concealed carry permit

The hardest part of Krav Maga is finding a legit teacher and school to teach you.

probably because besides groin kicks its just bad muay thai and bad jui jitsu

all martial arts are best left to training and competing. In the real world, the best self defense is a concealed carry permit

Yeah, murder is always a viable option.

Yeah, murder is always a viable option.

if its self defense it isn't murder

if you are concerned about a SERIOUS life threatening attack on your life as opposed to a group of douchebags talking shit at a bar or party, a gun or a knife is your best bet.

dude, you forgot the eye gouging...:icon_chee

Gotta say I recently made a mission to watch as many videos of real fights recorded by home videos CCTV etc. And I musta watched 100 or over, did this because I used to watch fights that developed frequently outside of an intalian bar/ cafe I used to live above called "Chocachinos" and I wondered if fights all around the world were like this.

And i gotta say in everything from bar fights, to street fights outside clubs, in car parks, in back yards etc. All I saw was punches, body and leg kicks, messy wrestling and ground wrestling EXACTLY what you see in MMA but just with a bit more blood lust and more people involved. There was some dirty fighting , but nothing krav maga style, a few head butts and jumping and landing on peoples heads, but nothing like you see in Krav maga training.

My conclusion : Learn to punch/ kick hard (dont kick above the solar plexus unless its a multi man tussle then just throw them out there, to much confusion to kick catch there), learn to grapple and and wrestle, get in shape and learn to take a hit. = self defence.

So basically what your saying is that fighting outside the ring looks a lot like fighting inside the ring?

And What does krav teach?

Punch / Kick hard: Check
Incorporate Grappling / Wresting: Check
Get in shape: Check

Learning to take a hit really depends on whether or not you have been hit before and your mental toughness. Aside from breathing techniques to partially absorb body blows, There is no way to train yourself to not get dazed / knocked out. If you are training krav at a higher level then you have definitely been hit quite a few times. So "learn to take a hit": check

And yes Krav does have an issue with its instructors. Because of its marketability there are a huge amount of wannabes that are teaching watered down versions.

Instructors are what make EVERY gym. Not just Krav.

At my facility, i was lucky enough to learn BJJ with an instructor who has a blackbelt from Rorion Gracie. You can't tell me Krav is BS if things like that are being incorporated into the system.

i dont buy into all the 'this is rubbish and that is better' debates, and from what little i know krav magra seems very effective in a street situation. It's probably very effective against an unarmed opponent in an emergency.

however - it annoys me when people talk it up like it's the answer to a gun or a knife. like krav magra makes you invincible, or it's the most bestest thing evah becoz you like totally learn to defend against knivez n shit yo. To me it's somewhat like 'ninjitsu' in that regard. I also dont get why it's all amazing because the israeli defense forces use it. The Spetsnaz use systema, the SAS something else, the marines something else, etc. It's all token training on the off chance they need it. Probably has more benefits to a soldiers reaction times / physical fitness than their ability to fight.

i dont buy into all the 'this is rubbish and that is better' debates, and from what little i know krav magra seems very effective in a street situation. It's probably very effective against an unarmed opponent in an emergency.

however - it annoys me when people talk it up like it's the answer to a gun or a knife. like krav magra makes you invincible, or it's the most bestest thing evah becoz you like totally learn to defend against knivez n shit yo. To me it's somewhat like 'ninjitsu' in that regard. I also dont get why it's all amazing because the israeli defense forces use it. The Spetsnaz use systema, the SAS something else, the marines something else, etc. It's all token training on the off chance they need it. Probably has more benefits to a soldiers reaction times / physical fitness than their ability to fight.

UK Special Forces don't do much training in "***-Slapping", their very un-PC nickname for martial arts. Some very basic techniques, such as striking the eyes and throat, rear naked chokes etc are taught. But the attitude of British soldiers is that if you have fucked up badly enough to be in a position where you have to beat the other guy to death, there's not much hope for you.:icon_lol:

Actually, I think the US Army and Marine Corp's way of teaching martial arts to develop attributes such as controlled aggression etc, which will make a soldier a better fighter when he is armed, is better than the British mindset. But for some reason, nobody asked me... :rolleyes:

So basically what your saying is that fighting outside the ring looks a lot like fighting inside the ring?

And What does krav teach?

Punch / Kick hard: Check
Incorporate Grappling / Wresting: Check
Get in shape: Check

Learning to take a hit really depends on whether or not you have been hit before and your mental toughness. Aside from breathing techniques to partially absorb body blows, There is no way to train yourself to not get dazed / knocked out. If you are training krav at a higher level then you have definitely been hit quite a few times. So "learn to take a hit": check

And yes Krav does have an issue with its instructors. Because of its marketability there are a huge amount of wannabes that are teaching watered down versions.

Instructors are what make EVERY gym. Not just Krav.

At my facility, i was lucky enough to learn BJJ with an instructor who has a blackbelt from Rorion Gracie. You can't tell me Krav is BS if things like that are being incorporated into the system.

Krav teaches all that?? I saw some stuff on it and it seemed mostly like going through motions like, " look he tries to hit me , and i simply rip out his throat and hit in the eye with it." you know, stuff that wouldnt work if the opponent is a human being who doesnt wanna be hurt. Though maybe the version I saw was a mcdojo brand. Saw the the israeli military self defence thing on human weapon and fight quest. looked pretty hard core, but thats military krav, not civilian krav.

I know that it's easy to write Krav Maga off as an over-commercialized self defense based aerobic workout, but I'd encourage people that are interested in picking up a martial art to reconsider before they decide something like that.

The KM school that I go to has been really great so far. One of the instructors specializes more in striking than in grappling, and has a pretty solid traditional MA background, in addition to years of training and teaching Krav. The other instructor specializes in grappling with a Brazilian jiu-jitsu base, and he's the hand to hand combat instructor for the Police Department for the county that I live in. Both are fluid, competent strikers and grapplers with a knack for teaching and a genuine interest in helping people learn to fight and defend themselves.

While it is true that Krav Maga does put an intense emphasis on fast, explosive bursts of chained attacks to finish fights, and does emphasize strikes that may not be legal in competition, I think that it's easy to argue that a fighter with a striking base in KM could make a transition to competitive fighting and do reasonably well. At the school that I attend, we learn and refine punches, kicks, knees, and elbows, and because KM is a hybrid art, we see attacks from a variety of sources (Karate style front kicks, Thai style leg kicks, Judo style throws, etc).

Sorry that I've been so long winded, I just want to make it clear that while there are some Krav schools that fall into the McDojo aerobic fitness category, this is by no means true for all of them.

I know that it's easy to write Krav Maga off as an over-commercialized self defense based aerobic workout, but I'd encourage people that are interested in picking up a martial art to reconsider before they decide something like that.

The KM school that I go to has been really great so far. One of the instructors specializes more in striking than in grappling, and has a pretty solid traditional MA background, in addition to years of training and teaching Krav. The other instructor specializes in grappling with a Brazilian jiu-jitsu base, and he's the hand to hand combat instructor for the Police Department for the county that I live in. Both are fluid, competent strikers and grapplers with a knack for teaching and a genuine interest in helping people learn to fight and defend themselves.

While it is true that Krav Maga does put an intense emphasis on fast, explosive bursts of chained attacks to finish fights, and does emphasize strikes that may not be legal in competition, I think that it's easy to argue that a fighter with a striking base in KM could make a transition to competitive fighting and do reasonably well. At the school that I attend, we learn and refine punches, kicks, knees, and elbows, and because KM is a hybrid art, we see attacks from a variety of sources (Karate style front kicks, Thai style leg kicks, Judo style throws, etc).

Sorry that I've been so long winded, I just want to make it clear that while there are some Krav schools that fall into the McDojo aerobic fitness category, this is by no means true for all of them.

That's exactly how our school teaches Krav Maga as well.

MMA stance, Boxing combinations, Muay Thai elbows, knees and kicks. BJJ submissions, wrestling offense-defense and Judo hip tosses.
KM is a truly hybrid art and a great school teaches the best that each TMA has to offer.

Back