For people who talk bad about krav....

Rgagne82

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So i have been browsing these forums for a while and have seen half the people on here completly down krav maga as "kick in the nuts, eye gouge and run" and "mcdojos" so i figured id chime in. I've been taking krav maga for almost a year with no prior experiance and have learned an awful lot. I do agree however that there are bs dojos out there and the teacher/instructor makes the differance. I've been learning from Master Marcos Starling, a 6th dan black belt in taekwondo, martial arts hall of fame inductee (google it), and over 35 years of experiance in many forms of martial arts as well. people who say you learn no technique have probably never been to a class and only read what other people who down krav have said. my class consists of 20 min sometimes more of excercise then drills in punching, kicking and countering, we hit target mitts and bags every class. the whole kick in the groin eye gouge statement.......put yourself in this scenario

your at a club/bar (wherever) when some big dude decides to start a fight. he has the upperhand and you are basically defenseless at the moment. you dont know him or if he has a weapon or if hes a complete nutjob that is trying to kill you......theres no referee to stop the fight and naturally your survival instinct kicks in, hows your mma training gonna help you, if i gotta kick in the nuts, bite, whatever to go home to my family at night i will, idk about all of you. Alot of people from what ive read think boxing, muay thai, bjj, mma is the end all.....nobodys invincible and theres always someone tougher out there so if your on the street with no referee to stop a fight when it gets that bad and that guy who is tougher then you happens to run into you you WILL do whatever it takes to make it out alive.

and the gun/knife defenses, ive read alot of you talk s**t about it . first thing krav teaches you is that nothing is worth your life and material things can be replaced. that said if its absolutly unavoidable I know i'd rather have an idea on how to defend myself then rely on bjj or some other art when you'll probably be pissing yourself to begin with and all your training will be forgotten when your staring down the barrell of a gun. I'm not going 3 rounds with someone on the street that much i know too.

I am not downing any other art because sport fighting is unbelievable and i have started training in mma recently and love that as well but with the right teacher theres alot to learn so dont down it cuz you've been doing judo or mt or boxing and you think its the best, its all what you put into it like anything, you put 110% ever time you train in krav and you will be a force to be reckoned with. may not be able to use it in the ring but its not meant for sport its meant to make it home to your family and being a father if the mma training isnt working im doing whatever i can to make it home to my son. hope this helped

I haven't seen any threads talking shit about Krav...TKD on the other hand...

Everyone knows Krav is effective as hell.

i think its just that krav people sometimes assume that boxers/grapplers are incapable of striking the eyes/groin/throat if necessary.

i think its that krav seems more like a fubar self defense system rather than a martial art.

id like to add that i do not train striking/grappling for self defense purposes. the beauty of humans is our ability to use tools. such as knives and guns.

There is always someone out there tougher... unless you're Brock Lesnar... still the toughest S.O.B. around.

So you criticize practitioners of a certain MA of thinking their art is the end all be all while you're saying Krav Maga is the way to go? Super cool logic bro.

Krav Maga is probably pretty good in the right school but reaks of bullshido. All the "Israeli commando" mystique. The incredible cost of most of the instruction. It's getting up there with Ninjitsu for BS alert..

Rex Kwon Do > Krav Maga

633756076274723555-RexKwonDo.jpg

Here are the arguements I take with Krav. And I studied it for 6months at a regional training center.

A: Krav Practitioners are DELUSIONAL. They think that they have some monopoly on kicking balls, eye gouging, biting and other "real tactics". We MMA guys know how to kick in the balls, gouge and all of the other things you guys do. And if you think we haven't been jammed in the eye or slammed in the junk in the course of training for years, you're crazy.

B: The striking in Krav is just crappy MT and boxing. And the grappling is just SUPER CRAPPY jiu jitsu, judo and wrestling. Because they train to combat people who don't train extensively in H2H combat, they don't have the incentive to have good technique. In a 1 in 1 fight with an MMA fighter (without weapons) the Krav guy would be down in a NY second.

C: The combatives are pretty good actually (especially the ones for weapons) HOWEVER!!! There is absolutely no reason to train at a KM school. 100% of the techniques they teach to civilians can be found in their books and dvds, the total cost of which would be less than 2 months tutition at a KM school; so just get the material and train it with friends or athletes. AND YOU CAN'T ARGUE AGAINST THIS, BECAUSE THEIR WHOLE PHILOSOPHY IS BASED ON THE IDEA THAT THE TECHNIQUES CAN BE USED WITHOUT EXTENSIVE TRAINING AND ARE INSTINCTIVE AND REFLEXIVE. SO WHY PAY MONEY TO LEARN FROM THEM EVERYMONTH WHEN I CAN JUST BUY THEIR BOOKS, TRAIN AT A STRIKING AND GRAPPLING GYM AND HAVE THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS?

D: We have several officers, and former military officers at our MMA school who are KM trained and some are even certified trainers. Needless to say they pay to come to our school, eventhough they get Krav for free. Nuff said

I'm not saying it's terrible, but there are many better options.

Krav is only good for a self defense situation where you need to disable and control the other guy quickly.
They rely on surprise, short bursts and flurries where they attack the weakest parts of the body. While this is a very effective system for use in a street situation, a Krav fighter's most valuable weapons are taken from them, and proficient ring fighter can easily pick them apart.
In the US, Krav is complete bullshit, it's taught at every half-assed self defense class, so that soccer moms can feel like they're actually worth something.

There is always someone out there tougher... unless you're Brock Lesnar... still the toughest S.O.B. around.

hahahahaha he is one tough dude

where did i once say krav is the end all? missed the whole point, i said like anything if you put in 110% you will be able to defend yourself against most oncomers

some krav striking may not be great i also said depends on the teacher, my teacher teaches us alot about striking, kicking, etc

I do agree that there is too much hype as well

I've been thinking of taking up Krav Maga so that I can become Kick Ass. If I'm gonna train, why stop at competitions? I'll take it to the next level!

....I don't think I'll ever get these systems that train extensively to kick people in the junk and poke out eyes, as if any untrained moron couldn't do that. But I think that's the real appeal, feeling like you are a badass that can do this dirty stuff that only "krav" guys are ruthless enough to do.

The bottom line is, whether you do tai chi or Judo, it's only as real as you train. It Tai Chi guys somehow decided to go at each other with near full-resistance, they would eventually establish something that works. I find it ironic that while Krav is supposed to be "as real as it gets", it would be impossible to train any of their stuff with full resistance, and therefore they can't possibly know how to use their "art" against a fully resisting opponents. Correct me if I'm wrong, or are there lots of Krav guys walking around, blind and nutless, kind of like the cauliflower ear of Krav?

I've been thinking of taking up Krav Maga so that I can become Kick Ass. If I'm gonna train, why stop at competitions? I'll take it to the next level!

now that commitment!

you still arent getting it. seriously. I dont promote Krav Maga, i said in the original post I train MMA as well so i'm not closed minded but this is how i know that you have no cluet what your talking about.......you assume the only thing people learn in Krav Maga is to kick nuts, gouge eyes, etc. Maybe if you go take a class with a good teacher you'll stop posting about how krav guys think they're tough cuz they do that stuff. there is honestly maybe 3 moves that require a groin strike. do you honestly think the only thing youll ever practice is those three moves? lets be realistic. what irks me the most is that everyone says a krav guy going up against an mma, bjj, whatever guy doesnt stand a chance, thats bs too.....you think krav only trains against a haymaker like some street bum would throw? no, atleast not where i train. Tell you what if you took an mma guy that trains at 100% and a krav guy that trains at 100% as well youd have one hell of a good fight. You all seem to under estimate krav so much but by how you all talk about it and your perceptions on it you are highly uneducated on it as well. I train krav and feel comfortable enough to take on an mma, bjj, boxing guy, but at the same time i'm not one way like many of you who are still having this my style is better then yours mentality.

I love the art and sport of fighting, theres not one form better then the rest, you can learn alot from any MA if you put your all into. for all you naysayers, take a krav class with a good teacher and youd be suprised at what you learn, untill then dont assume BJJ is the greatest

The thing is that whatever you do to them can be expected back. If you hit them in the nuts and miss there is a good chance your going to get hit in the nuts which is why I would rather use other forms of self defence.

TS, I've never talked shit about Krav Maga before, but after reading your posts I probably will.

Krav Maga is self defense...plain and simple.

It's not sport based combat.
It's not an offensive art.
It's not only groin kicks.

The whole art of Krav Maga was built on doing whatever it takes to get out of a hostile situation and then running away to safety. Krav Maga was made for real world situations.
Street fights and bar fights happen instantly and Krav Maga relies on using fast, brutal strikes.

Sure groin kicks are practiced and perfected but getting kicked in the groin is the ultimate neutralizer. Even during my Muay Thai sparring sessions when I get kicked in the groin by mistake I still go down for a few seconds because the pain is sharp, huge and literally makes me inneffective at anything for a few seconds.

After training in Muay Thai, boxing, BJJ and Krav Maga for the past year I am still convinced that nothing is more effective in a street/bar fight than using Krav Maga techniques in the first few seconds.
The only downside of using Krav only is that if you're fight lasts longer than a minute you're explosive opening moves won't work anymore and then it's time to run.

In conclusion, in this day and age where MMA is taught everywhere, why only learn Krav Maga? Cross train!!!

Back